Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Beast Wars Dinobot

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Exactly! When a retailer has to issue a warning for customers on how to handle a figure (even recommending they not use the included accessories!) then something is seriously wrong!
    What BS.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    "Undercharging" is not the same as losing money though.
    Correct. For a fun history lesson read up on the woes of the Lego corp in the late 90's.

Scans from the 2018 Generations book (from weibo user 北马伊斯力):

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Only negative of the mould is the side view of beast mode.
    The sides on him look bloody awful! How can they justify so many poorly fitting/joining panels and still call it ‘Masterpiece’? These toys are supposed to be cartoon accurate - he looked a helluva lot better in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Now that it is listed on the TakaraTomy product page for MP Dinobot as 28,000yen, I have to concede that I was way off. I still don't see where the cost is coming from with this one though... but with TT apparently doing poorly at the moment, they are probably looking to get as much money as they can from their premium products.
    Such a huge price for what I reckon is the worst looking alt-mode from the entire line. Don’t get me wrong - I’m glad the BW fans out there are so excited about this toy and hope they genuinely enjoy it - but I can’t see this price being justifiable

Turns out that having nigh-perfect accurate Robot modes comes at the expensive of animal modes.

Also creating accurate animal modes without shell-forming is pretty hard and real-life plastic can't cheat like cartoon and CGI.

Despite my qualms about the price of Dinobot and Sunstreaker, I've still pre-ordered them both. I'll also be first in line for a BW Grimlock repaint as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    Turns out that having nigh-perfect accurate Robot modes comes at the expensive of animal modes.

Also creating accurate animal modes without shell-forming is pretty hard and real-life plastic can't cheat like cartoon and CGI.
    I dunno, I thought they did a pretty good job with Primal. No big gaps, everything curving into each other nicely. That's why I'm so surprised that Dinobot looks such a shocker in beast mode. Frankly....

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    ...that looks just crap BW fans deserve a bit better for their money. I'd accept this alt-mode from a legion-sized figure or maybe even a deluxe, but not from a super expensive MP figure.

I'll also be first in line for a BW Grimlock repaint as well.
    Hmmmm..... I am a Grimlock collector. If they release a Grimlock version for, say, $80-$85 I'll pick one up

But Primal was a considerably simpler transformation. Bipedal animal becoming bipedal robot, Primal is by far the simplest MP to transform. Dinobot is completely different with his transformation and considerably more complex.

Look at it this way, TT would have had to sacrifice robot-mode accuracy if they wanted a more accurate dino-mode and most collectors keep their figures in robot-mode.

Regarding price, he looks to be around MP-8 in height so I wouldn't think $80 is fair. Not to say I want to pay $250+ again but $80 is a bit low considering that's what the old carbot price was and he's considerably bigger than them. Then again I am a stupid man addicted to his plastic crack and probably would fork out $250 for a BW Grimlock.

I really do hope TT will consider making a Rhinox MP.

But Primal was a considerably simpler transformation. Bipedal animal becoming bipedal robot, Primal is by far the simplest MP to transform. Dinobot is completely different with his transformation and considerably more complex.
    Fair point, though given I don't actually own Primal and nobody has Dinobot yet will have to take your word for it, but it seems a reasonable assumption.

Look at it this way, TT would have had to sacrifice robot-mode accuracy if they wanted a more accurate dino-mode and most collectors keep their figures in robot-mode.
    Not necessarily, as you pointed out he is larger than many of the MP cars so more room to work with. I don't think it's unreasonable to think they have the engineering skills to provide fans with a great looking robot without that meaning that the dino-mode has to have a great big triangle hole in the side and a deformed gut.

Regarding price, he looks to be around MP-8 in height so I wouldn't think $80 is fair. Not to say I want to pay $250+ again but $80 is a bit low considering that's what the old carbot price was and he's considerably bigger than them. Then again I am a stupid man addicted to his plastic crack and probably would fork out $250 for a BW Grimlock.
    I'm just saying eighty bucks is all that I would pay for a Big Grim version, given that I'm not a fan of this mold. Not that that is what the price point should be

I expect all BW MPs will also get the comicstrip-like deco that Primal was given. Otherwise, and as many have said, there is not that much repaint potential for most BW figures.

If the price drives people away perhaps Takara will once again offer MPs with store exclusive accessories. Then the whales* may buy multiple copies and everyone can rage at Takara for a change lol.

I have to believe this price is not simply set by greed as Takara would know this can be copied cheaply. He does look as complex as Megatron with all those unfortunate panels, and also like Cheetor and Primal, his robot mode is outstanding.

* this is not an offensive term.
    Last edited by Deonasis; 20th November 2017 at 08:54 PM.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose