Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232838 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Via my e-mail; this mob is having a sale. On Chapel Street. Might be good for some cheap trades as they're pretty well stocked. I'd go but comics is quickly becoming an afterthought as novels are currently occupying me atm
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

76 Chapel Street, Windsor, 3181, Vic, Australia
    (03) 9529 2255 Fx (03) 9529 2040
    http://www.alternateworlds.com.au/

Huge Christmas Sale
    Saturday December 6th to Saturday December 13th, 2008

Discounts up to 80% off RRP

(Excludes new releases, latest comic issues and pre-discounted items)

Email and phone orders accepted, with payment details.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Usually everything but their trades are on sale. This is my local (and favourite) comic shop though and there was a mass of figures I scored cheap at their last Christmas sale.

I've been to that sale a few times and usually come away disappointed. Probably will still go though.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

You have to get in early. Last year I lined up 45 minutes before opening and ended up with a massive swag of goodies. Trying to find the pic but I think it's on the old board.

There is a girl i know, she likes Marvel and DC stuff, so i have to read up on her fave, the Green lantern, like a bloody school assignment

Been a while since I posted here at OTCA, I need to rectify that.

Come on guys where's the comic book loving?

So Marvel's Dark Reign is go.

Another look at the upcoming Dark Avengers team.

Well that Wolverine is obviously Daken, it's a given from those arm tattoos.

Still going with Moonstone in that Ms. Marvel getup.

Bullseye in the Hawkeye getup.

Speculations/guesses for the Iron Patriot and the black costume Spidey?

Dark Avengers #1 is due out 21st January.

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Come on guys where's the comic book loving?
    i really do need to go hit a comic shop its been about 3 weeks now, starting to get the shakes

I've been a bit lax myself but should mention one the memorable stories I read recently was the latest TPB of Criminal. Great noir stuff. The art complements the story so well.

In terms of individual comics, I just got through Secret Six #1 and its a great start to the series
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

I'm currently reading The Watchmen, really enjoying it so far, reading issue 4 at the moment

North Melbourne-bot...?

I just read up to Thunderbolts #127 and I have to say that the book was very good. It made me hate characters and care for others which is always a good sign b/c it tells me the writer's actually making me care about the book rather than just another one of the 40 comics I read a month. Andy Diggle I believe it was? And it makes me kinda interested in where Norman Osborn is going though I have to say that it does make me shake my head to see years of continuity slapped in the face w/ the public somehow accepting he's bad. Sure, guys like Hitler/Bush all came to power despite how bad they were as leaders but this is a proven supervillain with a record that could stretch all the way to the Artic Circle. There's no way he'd get pass all that. All SHIELD or anyone has to do is release that information and he's a goner. Very contrived, and a sad departure from the old days. These days, they'll conveniently ignore everything they don't like for the sake of a good story. In the old days, they'd be inventive.

Ironically, as much as I dislike Marvel these days, I still read a lot of their stuff. A lot of their lower tier books are written very well I guess and that's what I prefer to concentrate on.

Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy knock it out of the park completely for instance. Thor is rock solid though it comes out every few months. Daredevil and Captain America are two of the really strong titles that probably deserve their top billing.

But as a mate and myself remarked over the weekend, comics will die. No doubt about it. It will shrink and shrink b/c all it ever does is alienate its existing fanbase and render them into casual readers (which is what I've ultimately become). The latest instance was probably Spider-Man. Though I didn't read it and didn't care for it, I can see a lot of ppl resenting the move b/c it blew away everything they invested emotionally in. That type of stuff just makes u give up as a fan. Sales numbers outside of the event arcs are always spiralling downwards and then looking at the games, DVDs it competes against, it just isn't going to stand up in the long haul.

Too many writers and artists think they're superstars. They're not. They write for an industry that has at best 1,000,000 readers (and that's me being extraordinarily generous) in a global population of 5 billion. They're a bunch of inflated egos who really need to rethink their business model b/c if comic prices keep going up, comics will eventually be an incredibly niche and forgotten about medium. That's not something I'd like to see having been an enthusiast for so long.