Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended shelving?

I agree with heretic, Gok. Block out the window a bit more with shelves rather than those posters. You tend to keep the blinds close anyhow. Those new shelves youve chosen are quite shallow but there are deeper ones, though deeper isnt as good as you may think, IMO, coz it gives off more shadow and thereby the display looks dark and it gets hard to appreciate or see the figures at the back - just look at my collection. Which is why Im opting to save a bit and replace the existing adjustable wooden shelves with glass shelves so that it lets a bit of light in between. Once Ive saved quite a bit though Id prolly get some Billy bookcases with doors and relegate thse current cabinet/shelves to the garage as Im in need of shelving there too.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I would like to not have doors on the bookcase, but the idea of selves of dusty toys is enough to make me put them on my shopping list.

The glass doors also helps make the display look so posh Paulbot. of course you have to put in some lighting, that adds more ambiance to it too.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Hey guys, just acquired my Ikea Detolf Shelves. They are so fantastic it’s nuts. Put ‘em together last night

I got 2 in the black-brown colour, have a few other items at home from Ikea in that colour from a few years back, so they match really well.
    Arguably you’ll need 2 people to assemble it, takes no time at all, and everything just looks so good. The instructions are surprisingly simple to follow.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

You CAN do it by yourself, but man, it's terrifying trying to balance the glass sides.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    The glass doors also helps make the display look so posh Paulbot. of course you have to put in some lighting, that adds more ambiance to it too.
    Just be careful of what lighting you use.

Last thing you want is yellowed toys.

I hate seeing people with good collections who don't block out harmful light (natural or artifical UV, for example), and you see the tell-tale signs of it in the yellow tinge on their items. :/

Apart from buying special glass (or living in a cave), can you do anything to treat glass to be resistant to UV light?

I'm thinking the collection items I'll have on display will be in my spare room/study which will be mostly a dark room except when I'm using it.

I recently got the Ikea Detolf and it was the best purchase I have made. I'm also looking at adding more shelfs to the Detolf using THIS guide posted on TFW2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Apart from buying special glass (or living in a cave), can you do anything to treat glass to be resistant to UV light?

I'm thinking the collection items I'll have on display will be in my spare room/study which will be mostly a dark room except when I'm using it.
    Isnt there like glass tinting t6o make em UV resistant as well as keeps other people from seeing you from the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

I think 3M or someone makes a film that you can put over glass that makes it UB resistant. I think it also makes the glass shatter resistant too which is always a good thing.