Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: model building

nice work dude. is that the aussie version of the M113 APC?

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude View Post
    nice work dude. is that the aussie version of the M113 APC?
    It is - the Fire Support Vehicle - a Saladin turret fitted atop a strengthened hull. It's a standard Tamiya kit. Biggest critic on this kit was my old man - He pointed out that the jerry cans are US pattern, not Australian, I think the rear fenders and indicator lights are also US styled and the lifting points weren't consistent across the fleet (given they were removed and replaced with strengthened ones too).

He supported these on their trails at Tin Can Bay. They served a purpose (hence their subsequent deployment to Vietnam) but inefficiently. They were much heavier and all the weight was above the normal roof line. The engines struggled with it and failed at a much higher rate and I believe (never looked this up to confirm) they were restricted to firing at a traverse of less than 30 or 45 degrees to the hull axis less the recoil would cause them to topple onto their side.

This kit most closely represents the ones at that trial... as apparently the smoke dischargers were removed in Vietnam and some of the headlights/indicator lights. (Luckily I misted on a tan dust and not a red dust so it's at least been weathered accuractly!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Stug View Post
    It is - the Fire Support Vehicle - a Saladin turret fitted atop a strengthened hull. It's a standard Tamiya kit. Biggest critic on this kit was my old man - He pointed out that the jerry cans are US pattern, not Australian, I think the rear fenders and indicator lights are also US styled and the lifting points weren't consistent across the fleet (given they were removed and replaced with strengthened ones too).

He supported these on their trails at Tin Can Bay. They served a purpose (hence their subsequent deployment to Vietnam) but inefficiently. They were much heavier and all the weight was above the normal roof line. The engines struggled with it and failed at a much higher rate and I believe (never looked this up to confirm) they were restricted to firing at a traverse of less than 30 or 45 degrees to the hull axis less the recoil would cause them to topple onto their side.

This kit most closely represents the ones at that trial... as apparently the smoke dischargers were removed in Vietnam and some of the headlights/indicator lights. (Luckily I misted on a tan dust and not a red dust so it's at least been weathered accuractly!! )
    i love seeing aussie miltitary equipment as model kits. you don't really get to see it much and when you do, it's worth getting for that different look and feel that we have over all of the other armies. when i was in the army they were phasing them out but the rumor of the "don't fire broadside" is true. i had a mate who was a gunner in 1 and he was telling me how when ever they fired they were terrified that they would flip, even when firing front on. i still see them here now and again so they haven't phased them out completely even tho i was in the army 20yrs ago.

question for the guys who use airbrushes. i'm gonna buy 1 this week from bunnings($120.i forgot the name of the brand) it's a compressor and all of the the other sort of fittings for other tools and stuff and it comes with 2 airbrushes. my question is do i just throw those 1's away and get a different better brand or are they as good as the big name brands.

Wouldn't just throw it away.
    Use it to practice if you're new to air brushing or sell the brushes.
    I find and read Iwata airbrushes to be really good. Id look into those.

I saw a thread on a modelling forum when I was looking to upgrade my brush where a similar question was asked (you think I can find it now!!! ). From memory, the brand carried by bunnings is of similar design to one of the "better" name brands (and can use O-rings and needles from them interchangably)...

They were generally saying they preferred to use them becasue they worked well and were easier to clean. They only used their higher quality brushes rarely and only for fine detail work.

Sorry I can't give you a link to anything. And I can't qualify any of that discussion - I never upgraded and still use (I'm sure to the horror of most modellers) an Aztek.

thanks guys. that makes it a lot easier for me. a lot of those bulk packs(of anything really) use the cheap stuff just rebranded and wasn't sure it that was the case with these.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    Wouldn't just throw it away.
    Use it to practice if you're new to air brushing or sell the brushes.
    I find and read Iwata airbrushes to be really good. Id look into those.
    ^ I take up his suggestion but I do advise you to check what type of airbrush you are comfortable with before spending the big bucks.

I still use the syphon style airbrush and it works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    ^ I take up his suggestion but I do advise you to check what type of airbrush you are comfortable with before spending the big bucks.

I still use the syphon style airbrush and it works best for me.
    yeah that right ... it what your must comfortable with .... if your just starting out ... get the feel of just using one...so any is fine... then when you get better and more confident .... you know what each adjustment do to the out come only then do you upgrade ....
    Look at it like sketching....you can sketch with any pencil.... but when you get better you know which pencil is better to work with like a 2H for thin outlines , 2B for darker lines etc......
    But the one thing is that the most expensive brush will NOT make you a better artist... just practise will do that !!
    And also people forget about the paints used !!... use the proper thinner for each type ...and mixing the right consistency is way more important

As a conincidence, I was reading this month's issue (March 2014) of Finescale Modeler on the way to work this morning and the feature article is on airbrush choices and techniques from a number of "experts". Its an 8 page spread covering everything from type, propellant options, paint choices... it supports discussion here with more detail so maybe worth a read?

If you do want to read and can't find one at the Newsagent (though I have mine through subscription so it may not appear until end of the month/early next at your local) let me know, I can scan it and get it to you...