Released here - Yes (NOV 16)
    Approximate Retail Price - $8
    Approximate Size – 7.5cm
    Allegiance – Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks – none
    Main Colours – Grey, Red, Blue
    Main Accessories – None

It's quite rare for a transformer figure to show up at retail before it gets an official reveal

Nowadays it's even rarer for them to hit retail without getting leaked

And yet, here we are.

Wave 1 of the Combiner Force subline imprint of RiD legions has shown up at retail in Australia

This wave consists of four figures.

Grimlock, Optimus Prime, Starscream and Springload.

Grimlock and Optimus are the same figures as their previous releases whilst Starscream and Springload are brand new moulds

Here, we'll be looking at Starscream.

After having his fate left up in the air at the end of Prime, Starscream made a triumphant comeback during the "mini season" between season 2 and the upcoming Combiner Force season.

Having upgraded to a new body more akin to his generation 1 self, all toys released of Starscream for the RiD toyline are based on this new design.

ROBOT MODE

This new legion scaled Starscream does a good job at replicating the shape and detail of his show model.

The large wings and broad shoulders give Starscream a regal and intimidating appearance. Although, he does look a bit skinny

Moulded in silver and light blue plastics. Starscream feature black paint on his helmet, red on the rims of his chest intakes, pelvis, and along his wings, blue paint on the tops of his shoulders, fuselage and his feet and orange plastic on the cockpit

And of course a sticker for the RiD app on his left wing. (Note: combiner force toys aren't unlocked when scanned into the app, instead they give a ticket to use with Cryostase to unlock a random character in the game - I got hammer)

The paint layout and amount of paint apps on such a small figure really help make Starscream look nice and worth the price to purchase.

Poseability

In terms of poseability, we are dealing with a legion class here, so there's not much to speak of. Although Starscream fares better than some others in the line.

Having ball jointed hips, hinged knees hat can bend just short of 90 degrees, multiple hinges in the shoulders (although, most are only really useful for transformation) and similar to Windblade, he has odd ball joints at his elbows. In fact. The lower arms on Starscream are the exact same as windblade!

Speaking of windblade. The two share very similar transformation schemes. And you'd be forgiven for thinking they were just remoulded of each other

However, besides the forearms, they don't appear to share any parts from what I can see.

TRANSFORMATION

To transform Starscream, it's very simple. As is normal for this size class.

1: peg the legs together

2: fold the fuselage/Nosecone on the back up over the head and peg it in place

3: fold the wings down

4: fold the shoulder pads down on the hinges along with the elbow pieces to straighten them down along the sides of the torso

5: peg the hands onto the pegs on the undersides of the wings.

VEHICLE MODE

From above, Starscream's vehicle mode looks quite good. From underneath however, well... It looks like he's reaching down to hold his wings in place.

Another oddity on the underside is that like a few other figures recently, he has a landing gear moulded into the Nosecone but no wheels anywhere else. Instead he rests on his kneecaps and toes

For the size class, I can't complain much about this vehicle mode, yeah it could have been better. But it's fine for what it is.
    The paint apps work well to make the vehicle mode look nice With the red wings, orange cockpit and blue nose cone to break up all the grey a bit.

All in all legion Starscream is just that. A legion Starscream. It's nothing amazing. But it has a few neat things that make it worth a look

SIZE COMPARISON

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall I'd rate it a B-

Losing a couple of marks for the awkward elbows, lack of rear wheels and borrowing Windblade's forearms.

If you're interested, its probably worth picking up, it is a cheap figure after all.

Definitely worth grabbing for a completionist

But I wouldn't say it's worth running out to get ASAP
    Last edited by Firestorm; 5th November 2016 at 10:06 PM.

First Post has been updated to include pictures

Thanks for the review!

First RID legion I've noticed to share parts; the arms, upper legs, arm hinges and the hinge for the cockpit section are all the same as Windblade... sneaky :P

Really like this guy, fun in both modes and looks pretty good for his size.

FatalityPitt Guest

Thanks for the review.

I don't have this guy yet, but I voted "maybe" because I usually don't collect RiD these days. Not that it's bad (it actually looks great and I love the animal motifs of the Decepticons), but because I'm on a strict budget, and have to draw the line somewhere. However, since this Starscream is cheap and looks vaguely like his G1 self (I'll always buy a G1 Starscream if there is one to be bought); I'll certainly grab this guy if I see him in stores. If not, I won't lose sleep over it.

EDIT: Hmmm, his alt-mode looks like G1 Cyclonus', who's another favourite character of mine... *gasp* - A potential retool into the first ever Cyclonus Legion class figure! One can only dream...

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Yeah, that makes me happy It looks un-mistakebly like G1 Cyclonus. I hope the smirk is sculpted onto the final mold - it adds more personality. But the alt-mode looks nothing like what I was expecting. It looks similar to the Jet Vehicons.

It does actually. I wonder if it was originally supposed to be that design, and change late in the development...

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    It does actually. I wonder if it was originally supposed to be that design, and change late in the development...
    My theory is that they want to bring back Vehicons, and to kill two birds with a single stone, they made Cyclonus look like them so they can do a Vehicon retool in the future. Army-buildable characters are profitable. Either that or there's maybe going to be a story where Cyclonus is an ex-vehicon who got promoted and given a face and name.