Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Force Awakens: 9cm First Order Stormtrooper Review

Default Star Wars Force Awakens: 9cm First Order Stormtrooper Review

This is my first Star Wars figure in about 4 years, and I thought I'd review it.
    Packaging

I think this is the standard packaging for all Force Awakens toys, with Kylo Ren on the background. As shown on the packaging, this is part of the 'Build a Weapon' sub-line, and this comes with the top of the turret for the weapon composed of Rey(?) and Vader's weapon parts.

Instructions

Are not needed.

Figure

The figure itself isn't bad at all as a display piece. It's got amazing sculpting for it's size, but its kind of lacking in paint apps (like most Legends Class Transformers). It's weapons are actually nicely painted, with lots of detail on the combining weapon cannon especially. It looks good! He can't stand too well with the combiner cannon unless you move his torso back a bit, but I think that makes sense as he is shooting up at a X-wing or something like that (at least in my head ).

Articulation
    This is the only let down of the toy. It only has the following articulation: Ball-jointed head, and swivel join arm and legs. No awesome dynamic poses for you. I think he is more designed for more basic, younger child style play, where you pick up the toy with his gun arm up and saying 'Pew pew pew!'. If you want articulation, go for the Black Series one.

Overral
    I didn't have enough money on me to pick up a Black Series Kylo Ren like I wanted too today, but for $15, I think this is a great pick-up, especially if bought on a sale. The only let-down of this toy is poor articulation, but there is pretty much nothing else to complain about this figure. It is an awesome display piece and good for kid play, but for older players I again would recommend a Black Series First Order Stormtrooper, but they are $20 more expensive at retail. This is a nice, cheap army builder, which I highly recommend!

8/10, only improvement would be more articulation and just a tiny bit more paint on the actual figure.

Last edited by UltimateGalvatron; 14th December 2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Fixed: Spelling and Photos
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Update: The smaller blaster can peg onto a hole on the Stormtroopers left leg.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGalvatron View Post
    Articulation
    This is the only let down of the toy. It only has the following articulation: Ball-jointed head, and swivel join arm and legs. No awesome dynamic poses for you. I think he is more designed for more basic, younger child style play, where you pick up the toy with his gun arm up and saying 'Pew pew pew!'. If you want articulation, go for the Black Series one.
    I personally don't accept "for young children" as an excuse for poor articulation, because kids love well articulated action figures! I know I did. That's what I loved about 80s toys like G.I. Joes, Robotech, Marshall Bravestarr, C.O.P.S. over the likes of say Star Wars, MotU etc., and I always wished that more toys could be better articulated. I was initially excited at the idea of Action Masters, even though I knew that they couldn't transform. I was hoping that they'd be at least as well articulated as G.I. Joes... then I bought my first Action Master and it all went downhill from there.

I personally really liked how Star Wars toys became well articulated during the late 90s and early 00s, but have been disappointed at the ever declining level of articulation in SW toys in recent years. Just as well I don't collect SW toys anymore. I had a play with some of the Force Awakens figures during the EB Games Expo, and I'm not hugely impressed. I haven't seen any of the Black Series figures though.

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Black Series rocks! Mostly... I think Hasbro are doing well in the midst of what SH Figuarts are producing.

Though of course they are much more expensive. I have Kylo Ren, 1st Order Trooper from TFA, and of the original Black Series: Obi Wan, Darth Maul and Anakin. Maul and Kylo tie for my fav's so far, and can not wait for Ahsoka to come out!

My local TRU had what I thought were 2 boxes of TFA Series 2 6inchers, but on closer inspection they were only boxes of 1st Order Snow Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post
    Black Series rocks! Mostly... I think Hasbro are doing well in the midst of what SH Figuarts are producing.

Though of course they are much more expensive. I have Kylo Ren, 1st Order Trooper from TFA, and of the original Black Series: Obi Wan, Darth Maul and Anakin. Maul and Kylo tie for my fav's so far, and can not wait for Ahsoka to come out!

My local TRU had what I thought were 2 boxes of TFA Series 2 6inchers, but on closer inspection they were only boxes of 1st Order Snow Troopers
    Yeah, I'm hoping to get some money for Black Series figures for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I personally don't accept "for young children" as an excuse for poor articulation, because kids love well articulated action figures! I know I did. That's what I loved about 80s toys like G.I. Joes, Robotech, Marshall Bravestarr, C.O.P.S. over the likes of say Star Wars, MotU etc., and I always wished that more toys could be better articulated. I was initially excited at the idea of Action Masters, even though I knew that they couldn't transform. I was hoping that they'd be at least as well articulated as G.I. Joes... then I bought my first Action Master and it all went downhill from there.

I personally really liked how Star Wars toys became well articulated during the late 90s and early 00s, but have been disappointed at the ever declining level of articulation in SW toys in recent years. Just as well I don't collect SW toys anymore. I had a play with some of the Force Awakens figures during the EB Games Expo, and I'm not hugely impressed. I haven't seen any of the Black Series figures though.
    I get your point, but I'm still mainly going to be using the smaller figures for display, and Black Series for play.

Also, good review

Where do you get your Black Series from?

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post
    Also, good review

Where do you get your Black Series from?
    None yet, but my local Big W has Kylo Ren and the Emperor's Wrath Vader.

Thanks.

I don't think TRU really sell the 6 inch black figures here do they?
    Primarily Big W, Myer and Target right?
    I found an $18 Finn 6inch figure once and bought that quick fast. No idea if it was a sale or misplaced.

They do, they were the first to get Series one (which is where I got mine) on Force Friday.

Good review! I paid $10 at BigW for all my Force Awakens 9cm figures. I have them all but not opening them until I have seen the movie. Lack of articulation doesn't bother me as I'm 40.