Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The rest of the TLK toys and exclusives officially revealed (with spoilers)

Man it's been years since a Cybertron toy has been redecoed
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    Man it's been years since a Cybertron toy has been redecoed
    I'm into it.

The quasi random redecos from previous Series were some of my favourite figures from the first two movie lines.

I'm also enjoying of (what I understand to be) the return of non-movie figures with their own molds.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Oh man, Cogman is a headmaster! Very nice!

Chat transcript tfw2005 says that store exclusives will be offered to international markets, so up to retailers. At least RK will have them though
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    Tried not the read the spoilers but man oh man, these exclusives better come to TRU ... I want that Unicron remold!
    Unicron remold?

The Duocon style dragon combiner looks very neat. Love the knight theme. Might have to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    Unicron remold?
    I think it was either a joke (Wait, Unicron is in the movie?!?!) or it was meant to read Cybertron repaint
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Title has been changed to note that the toys revealed in the last day by Hasbro, are apparently the rest of the Premier line, which should be out by August (and then be gone by the end of the year... in time for the lead up to the Bumblebee movie toyline).

Four members of the Hasbro Brand team had another Google Hangout session with invited American fansites, with the details below and some images can be seen here at BWTF.

The four panel members from Hasbro were members of the Transformers Brand team including:
    • John Frazier - Senior Brand Development + Marketing Manager, Transformers
    • Ben Montano - Brand Marketing Director, Transformers
    • John Warden - Design Manager, Transformers
    • Aristides “Arrow” Membreno - Design Manager, Transformers

Behind the scenes was Sarah Cunningham who made sure the technical side of things in Rhode Island worked out. Managing the entire Hangout was Chris Robins from Rogers & Cowan.
    The team was lined up in a row with a shelf behind them filled with "The Last Knight" product. Many of the toys were sitll in package (including the Primus redeco, Premier Drift and Leader Class Megatron!). A line of loose figures would make up a bulk of the presentation. Here's a breakdown of the figures we were shown and some details about them:

Hot Rod
    Deluxe is a licensed Lamborghini

• There are Hot Rod figures in other scales
    • “Fun to introduce a new character into the film franchise” – Ben Montano
    • Deluxe toy is a Walmart exclusive

Skullitron
    • A Knight of Cybertron
    • Deluxe scale
    • Lots of rusty deco on him (gold, green to silver)
    • Face is very scary, broken down skull face, looks almost like a corpse or zombie
    • Shares a body sculpt with Steelbane
    • The rust is pearlescent, not flat to give a wash effect
    • Exclusive to the “Mission to Cybertron” at Toys R Us

Infernocus
    • Combiner made up of five figures
    • Torso is a new figure
    • Limbs are all Terrorcon sculpts from “Beast Hunters”
    • Infernocus appears in the trailer
    • Comes with a translucent Quintessa figure
    • Exclusive to “Mission to Cybertron” Toys R Us

Cogman
    • Transforms into an Aston Martin DB-11 vehicle
    • Cogman is a Headmaster, he has a “Titan Master” style head
    • Vehicle mode seats two Titan Masters

Nitro

• Using files from the films to make the figures more accurate to the movie
    • You can remove his head and Cogman’s head can take over the body. Nitro's head does not transform.
    • Nitro’s cockpit in vehicle mode accommodates a Titan Master.
    • Vehicle mode is a military jet of Hasbro's design. John Warden worked on G.I. Joe for years so that influenced his designs.

Dragonstorm

• Leader Class
    • Described as a Duocon
    • Dragon heads are based directly off the film’s CG models
    • Dragonicus and Stormreign are bigger than Deluxe, but smaller than Voyager. In a class of their own.
    • Trying to give a “tarnished and ancient” look to the figures.
    • Transformation is “bananas and complicated” (John)

With each of the ToysRUs “Mission to Cybertron” exclusive toys, a card is included. One side is a section of a poster. The other takes you to a web site to decode glyphs on the figures.

After the presentation there was a Question & Answer session where each attendee had a chance to ask some prescreened questions. Roughly in order here were the topics covered and notes I took on the responses:

Valvotron: A one off promotion with Valvoline. Other partnerships may pop up around the world to introduce the brand to new fans.

Tiny Turbo Changers: One of the key Diaclone and Microman designers, Kōjin Ōno worked on the Tiny Turbo Changers, giving them a historical and authentic appeal tracing back to the pre-history of "Transformers".

Characters crossing into other media: Drift is the prime example, starting in comic books, going to the movies and then "Robots in Disguise". Blurr is another, having gone from "Rescue Bots" to "Robots in Disguise". This pattern is being kept in mind as "The Last Knight" is released.

Mold Reuse: Hasbro recognizes some fans may not have been able to purchase certain figures from "Age of Extinction", especially younger fans. This gave them an opportunity to make the toys available again while giving them more movie-accurate deco.

Primus/Cybertron Planet: The deco was inspired by the G1 cartoon, where there were shades of blue on the planet surface while energy seemed to glow form the interior. The orange "core" of this figure is meant to reveal Primus' "core power". The Omega Lock feature and electronics are all intact.

Lessons learned over 10 years of making movie figures: One of the huge steps in movie toy development is the use of CAD files from the movie studio on the actual toys themselves to provide a more screen accurate figure. Hasbro also recognizes that hardcore fan support of the brand is critical to its success.

Drift: While the figure does reuse certain parts of the "Age of Extinction" Deluxe it is not the same figure. The vehicle is now a Mercedes (which the team did not know when they began designing the figure) and its transformation has been flipped backwards.

Premier Edition Packaging: The boxes were in part to give the figures a premium look. Boxes were also chosen to allow more space to feature the beautiful character artwork.

Exclusives around the world: The exclusive figures such as Hot Rod and Skullitron will be available around the world. They may not always be at the same retailer as the United States however.
    On a final note, Hasbro let us know that the figures are all due for release around August (though some may pop up before then). What we were shown during this Hangout represents the last of the Premier Edition line for "The Last Knight". However Movie toys will continue to be developed as new films are released.
    Some extra details on TFW's coverage...

Valvotron

• Not intended to be part of lore, just a fun cross promotion.

Tiny Turbos Changers

• Movie based for now
    • Well received so far
    • they brought on Kojin Ono to capture the simple. yet “Tranformer-y” essence.
    • Was started before TLK work began.

Premier Editions (and why there were many repaints in TLK early waves)

• More new mold items are coming*
    • Wanted to re-introduce key figures and characters to new fans.
    • Also allowed movie accurate decos and enhanced decos on previous figures.

MPM Bumblebee and Optimus Prime were shown at the end, very excited, if they sell well they will continue with the line. No mention of any others.
    (there have been rumours circulating that the third MP (Barricade) has been cancelled... so it could be true, or at least, it has been held back for later, like during the Bumblebee movie toyline)

TFW notes that Skullitron is a redeco of Steelbane... and comparing images of the two, it is true, but it has a new head.

The * in the TFW quote has a comment added by TFW that since these are the last of the Premier toys for TLK, the "new moulds" that they assure are coming, are likely to be in a future movie toyline... maybe in next year's Bumblebee movie toyline, or during the gap between the two movie toylines.
    (the comment about the old moulds allowed for "enhanced decos on previous figures" obviously didn't have the Deluxe Bumblebee toy in mind, with its significantly reduced paint decos)

The trailers with Cogman being human sized but turns into a car makes sense now... it's just his head that is the human sized robot walking around with Anthony Hopkins' character.
    And looks like more movie spoilers in that too, with the point of making the Cogman toy be able to take control of Nitro by replacing its head.
    Or could just be a red herring that has nothing to with the movie, and the Hasbro people just wanted to help cross-promote their Titans Return toyline with this gimmick.

This also means that the early standout character of Onslaught (one of the first new vehicles seen on the filming sets and even features in the IDW Hydrobot comic), doesn't look to be getting a toy from Hasbro, at least this year.
    Maybe it was a late edition to the cast of this movie, and a toy isn't yet ready, but will come out next year (or the year after if he survives TF5 and shows up in TF7).

The person/people in China who have been leaking bits of packaging images lately, must have felt safe enough to show off the rest of their images of Cogman, Skullitron and Nitro.

The back of the packaging for Cogman shows us the Titanmaster/Headmaster concept that Hasbro officially revealed yesterday... which would have been big news if they had leaked this image back when they started leaking parts of the packaging images.
    It must mean it is someone inside Hasbro in Asia, who didn't want to risk the full wrath of an investigation by leaking a major toy element before Hasbro in America had planned to.

FatalityPitt Guest

Someone up there is trying hard to make me buy a movie toy.. Not only is Cogman based on an Aston Martin (appealing to the James Bond fan in me), they also made him a Titanmaster.