Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome

Default Google Chrome

I am giving the new Browser 'Google chrome' a trial run. It was a bit difficult to get into as its interface is (on the surface) considerably different to standard browser interfaces such as Firefox and IE. However once you get the hang of it, Chrome feels somewhat intuitive but you will be forced to give away many browser habits due to the different interface. This will be the most difficult aspect for people who prefer uniformity and may hinder adoption of the browser by the general public.

I will continue using Chrome for a while and see if this new Browser is good enough to take FireFox's crown. So far its different but I don't see anything considerably superior but we shall see down the line.

To download:

http://tools.google.com/chrome/intl/...features.html#

The link also contains several short but effective tutorial videos to help people learn to use the interface.

I tried this out today as well. It seems nice enough.. though i didn't get a chance to check it out on many of my own websites, to see how it handles XHTML & CSS yet. It's good that all the major vendors are moving to support those and other web technologies more closely.

Personally, i just want browsers to get better and faster at opening all types of websites, simple to complex, without being a memory hog, so i hope they continue down that path. The only feature i use, that i noticed missing (or did i just not see it?) was a bookmark manager.

I too would prefer the standard OS look, but i think they might just be doing it to differentiate it from the others in the early days. Non-web-savvy users are notoriously bad at even realising WHAT the web browser is!

No doubt it'll be hard trying to describe to some of my clients the difference between Google the search engine and Google Chrome the web browser.. considering most of them think Google is their address bar already!

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I tried this out today as well. It seems nice enough.. though i didn't get a chance to check it out on many of my own websites, to see how it handles XHTML & CSS yet. It's good that all the major vendors are moving to support those and other web technologies more closely.

Personally, i just want browsers to get better and faster at opening all types of websites, simple to complex, without being a memory hog, so i hope they continue down that path. The only feature i use, that i noticed missing (or did i just not see it?) was a bookmark manager.

I too would prefer the standard OS look, but i think they might just be doing it to differentiate it from the others in the early days. Non-web-savvy users are notoriously bad at even realising WHAT the web browser is!

No doubt it'll be hard trying to describe to some of my clients the difference between Google the search engine and Google Chrome the web browser.. considering most of them think Google is their address bar already!
    It has a Bookmark Manager accessible through the 'Star' right before the address bar. However its rather poor. You can import bookmarks which get assigned to an icon to the far right. Again, its somewhat poor particularly if you have many favorites. Its a bit of a killer actually.

I know what you mean about everyday users. Many of them have no concept of what the Internet actually is and how it works. I have encountered a disturbing amount who think that the Internet is the Windows desktop.

Note: I have found an issue. The spell checker detects spelling errors (underlines with red dotted line) but does not allow you to correct them by right clicking.
    Last edited by kup; 3rd September 2008 at 09:37 PM.

Hehe, yeah that's all i saw as well and wouldn't call it a bookmark manager!
    I would love a bookmark manager that took live screenshots of websites (i tend to bookmark nice site designs and then forget which one's which, making it hard to find one i have in mind)

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Oh yea, a huge pass for me. I'm not going to install this on any of my computers.

I really don't trust a new and buggy browser made by the worlds largest online advertiser and tracker of usage. I don't like adding yet another vector for attack and exploitation.

I'm still surprised that the majority of self professed "security experts" install things like this. Mind you, they are typically all FF users too. And you can say goodbye to that project if this one takes off.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Oh yea, a huge pass for me. I'm not going to install this on any of my computers.

I really don't trust a new and buggy browser made by the worlds largest online advertiser and tracker of usage. I don't like adding yet another vector for attack and exploitation.

I'm still surprised that the majority of self professed "security experts" install things like this. Mind you, they are typically all FF users too. And you can say goodbye to that project if this one takes off.
    That is why I am trial running this. I like trying new things and then deciding for myself if they are worth it or not. The risks are negligible on a properly secured home PC so no need to be a Debbie Downer

they got that "star" from their google toolbar... it's great!

Just finished reading their 38 page comic

Wow thanks for this thread, i want to see what it's like but i have no dramas with normal google......
    Last edited by Soundwarp; 4th September 2008 at 05:33 PM.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    That is why I am trial running this. I like trying new things and then deciding for myself if they are worth it or not. The risks are negligible on a properly secured home PC so no need to be a Debbie Downer
    I hope you're at least running it in a vmware session.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    Wow thatnks for this thread, i want to see what it's like but i have no dramas with normal google......
    It's a web browser like Internet Explorer or Fire Fox. Its not a Search Engine.