Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone play an instrument?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Does anyone play an instrument?

I've always wanted to play a musical instrument, but I have a negative musical aptitude.

I have tried guitar lessons but it didn't pan out

Was thinking of maybe trying violin, haha I've heard it's way hard, but I like the sound they can make.

Your thoughts and experiences?

Is Mayonnaise an Instrument?
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    Is Mayonnaise an Instrument?
    Not traditionally

Has anyone ever wanted to learn an instrument but was lacking in confidence to make the attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    Not traditionally

Has anyone ever wanted to learn an instrument but was lacking in confidence to make the attempt?
    Hard to be confident without making an attempt, pretty sure most of us sounded arse on our first go!

As cliche as it sounds, I'd recommend starting off with a guitar or digital keyboard. They're probably the easiest (they don't feel like it at first) to learn and can be accompanied with things like backing tracks that cover bass, drums etc. to keep you interested in playing along to. That and the free tutorials/lessons for guitar and piano on sites like youtube are just so more comprehensive compared to other instruments like violin and saxophone which aren't as easy to just pick up and play.

I'd say it's the same for violins, but I really recommend buying a good branded used instrument, e.g. a used (but not abused) Takamine, Martin or Taylor acoustic as they're often 40-50% below RRP value despite sometimes being only rarely played and just offer so much more bang for buck than entry level instruments. Oh and avoid any beginner instrument package deals like the plague.

The quality branded used gear keep their value so if you lose interest a few months down the track they won't turn into a paperweight that you can't sell. The melband forum instruments sale section in addition to ebay are two good sources to find some quality used gear.

Tried guitar, so not for me, but I did try.

Is there anywhere you can try a few instruments out, see which one suits you

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    Tried guitar, so not for me, but I did try.

Is there anywhere you can try a few instruments out, see which one suits you
    A music store like Allans/Billy Hyde would be your best bet to get your hands dirty. I'd be wary of buying from them though.

Why wasn't guitar for you? Violin would be more of the same I'd think which would lead me to recommend piano in the absence of more detail.

I actually bought a cheapo violin outfit a few weeks ago.
    It's a crap one but its somewhere to start

Finding sheet music for violin is erksome, not that I can read music, I can't
    May have to get a teacher but trying to err the expense at the moment
    What would be the first thing I need to master (at a noobie level)

I love the sound of violin but no frame of reference for note -sound recognition

Just thought I would ask

I've been a massive fan of rock 'n roll for years & years & that became my inspiration to buy myself a dual-neck electric axe a couple of years ago. I'm trying to teach myself to play it but I'd rather just jam with it every now & then... Lol

I make noise with a guitar. Sinnertwin is supposedly an expert on an axe, but maybe he just has very convincing dreams

I'd suggest piano. It gives you the basics and is a platform to move to any instrument, but can also be built upon to any degree if you decide you like it.

And don't worry about lacking natural talent. I'm terrible. I have to work what seems like ten times as hard as most for the slightest increase in skill. But I still enjoy it. I strongly suggest lessons though. If it's not working, try a different instructor. As a teacher, you would know that people have different styles. It's a matter of finding someone with a style that suits you.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

My mum tried to force me to learn piano when I was a kid, and I hated it. Sadly, I have zero musical ability now. The weird thing was, she used to tutor other kids in piano and they would go on to become extremely successful students, even performing in concerts and stuff, but my mum just failed in teaching me and my brother piano.

There is at least one good thing that came out of this. In 1984 my mum dragged me and my brother along to watch her performing at a piano performance. You can imagine how utterly bored the two of us were sitting in the audience with no adult supervision (yeah) watching various people playing orchestral instruments. So on the way to the performance, we stopped by a hobby store and saw these new toys called Transformers. They were like Machine Men, only way cooler looking! I chose Brawn and my brother chose Huffer. We opened them and played with them instead of paying any attention to the performance.

And I haven't stopped collecting Transformers ever since.