View Poll Results: Trailcutter worth buying?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!

15 78.95%
  • No Way!

0 0%
  • Only if he's cheap!

2 10.53%
  • Not interested!

2 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Generations Trailcutter (IDW Deluxe)

Default Toy Review: Generations Trailcutter (IDW Deluxe)

Series - Transformers Generations
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 5
    Released here - not yet (released globally July 2013)
    Approximate Retail Price - $25
    Approximate Size - unknown
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - pickup truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - shield/twin-barreled laser gun
    Main Colours - black, red, silver
    Main Accessories - shield/twin-barreled laser gun

Vehicle Mode:

Trailcutter transforms into a pick up truck that is reminiscent of his G1 toy. It has an armoured look to it thanks to the reinforced side windows. This is a really good mode, the sculpting for the front of the truck is amazingly detailed. The proportions are good and there is no robot kibble sticking out anywhere (although you can see the back of his head on the roof). A few more painted details would be nice but a solid vehicle mode except for one thing...

The small size is horrible. You would have expected that after wave 3 and 4 of Generations coming with additional weapons (which were around 1/3 the size of the bot), that these newer Deluxes won't be as skimped down. No such luck, Trailcutter is absolutely tiny in vehicle mode (and the Deluxe Kup above isn't exactly the largest Deluxe ever either). Oh well.

Transformation:

The transformation is very simple especially considering how different the robot looks when compared to the vehicle mode. The legs are a one-step "fold the legs out". The arms are slightly more interesting and in a clever twist, Trailcutter uses his side mirrors as pegs for his shoulders (although they don't peg in very well, if at all). Trailcutter doesn't have any new or groundbreaking elements in his transformation, but it's solid.

Robot Mode:

The star of the show, Trailcutter's robot mode is great, and looks even better in real life than in photos. The lightpiping is spectacular. His weapon looks like a weapon instead of just the back of a truck. Articulation is decent and he even has a waist swivel when it's not needed for transformation. Only thing that could be done better is if his legs had more parts manipulation as it feels really simple and blocky right now. An excellent robot mode.

Overall:

A good toy with two solid modes. Trailcutter displays very well and is not hampered by any gimmicks. Only negative would be that he's a bit on the small side.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

I don't know why I love this figure so much, of the 4 deluxes i've played with this one the most mainly cause of the bot mode, I just love it, only downside is the vehicle because it is way too small.

I'll probably see mine in the next month or so. Looks great though

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I'll probably see mine in the next month or so. Looks great though
    Same here, hehehe. Not enough loot yet in the POL to justify shipping even with Metroplex in it.

Even the bot mode of Trailcutter is shorter, one look at the photo posted by my friend in Phils (next to Henkei Bee, Hound and Prime) shows him to be shorter than Hound, taller than Bee. Which shouldn't be really.... he should've at least be as tall Sideswipe or Sunstreaker. From the looks of it though they could've made the thighs a bit longer but I guess tyhatll affect the altmode - the Alt mode sigh, as good as it looks, yeah it freakin small. He got demoted from a big SUV type vehicle to just oh... a Rav 4 SUV . Oh well Im just glad in a way we finally get the remaining G1 Autobots before the movie characters got put in the spotlight..... So bring on Skids, and Hoist! Also, the figure costs 700 pesos rrp there in Phils - sold at all regular toy stores et all (= AU$17.50)... I wonder how much he'll retail here?

As usual prolly double.... I wont blame any who wont support the local sellers - we are so gipped with pricing here. They always use the excuse coz of Aus shipping etc... geez Philippines is just above Australia, basically same area - so shipping would've been just as pricey yet they sell them there in almost = US price. So that excuse is pure BS, sigh. End rant
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

The size and lack of Autobot Symbol in Robot form are its only downsides to me. the transform is simple but works really well, and the sculpt is pretty nice for both forms. A retrolabel set and a spare blaster from someone will round him out nicely i think.

That said i prefer Hoist.
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

Robot mode is very good. As everyone said, it's just too small. come on! It's a d-class, now it look more or less like a scout class! I know the price of raw materials are rising, yet, you should not do this to us!

About the figure again. Car mode is also very clever, transformation is easy as well. Since it has quite a number of joints, posture is quite ok. I do not like the sets of lights at the back (more or less the top). It cannot be remove and it looks as if something extra was carrying at his back.

Decided to open up some of my loot from BBTS today. I'm really loving Trailcutter. The sizing isn't too bad IMO, it could be much worse (ie FoC Prime) and the articulation is sufficient too. The only things that bug me are the shoulders don't lock into place well and his left leg doesn't lock as tightly as the right.

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase View Post

The small size is horrible. You would have expected that after wave 3 and 4 of Generations coming with additional weapons (which were around 1/3 the size of the bot), that these newer Deluxes won't be as skimped down. No such luck, Trailcutter is absolutely tiny in vehicle mode (and the Deluxe Kup above isn't exactly the largest Deluxe ever either). Oh well.
    I dunno... Kup's a pretty big deluxe toy. In both modes.

Anyone have any clue as to when Hasbro AU's gonna release this here???
    I actually drove past Hasbro's building today... looked like there was a group of school kids there on an excursion!

i thought there weren't getting released here?