View Poll Results: MP-33 Inferno - worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 10.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - MP-33 Inferno

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    I love that they made Ratchet and Ironhide in that shape and not the original toy design. I think they go too far to looking just like the cartoon and they end up bland however. It's silly to me. For me I guess I want the cartoon overall proportions and movement/articulation, just not the plainness. Why do they look plain and simple in the cartoon? I'm assuming because it would take too much time and money to add in all the details! Why limit the masterpiece series like that? Eh. Stupid fans
    Not stupid fans, silly tt do not know how to define what is masterpiece. Split the line properly and you can milk as much and keep everyone happy.

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I like the cartoon aesthetic because how often do you get a toy transformer that is literally ripped from the cartoon. For me the image i have of transformers is the G1 cartoon. For TT to recreate that feeling and have all the modern engineering and cool accessories is a good thing.

As a kid when I first saw the original toy Iron Hide I wondered why it looked so different. I couldn't even process it at the time that it was nothing like Iron Hide and it was freaking ugly.

Details are nice but add too much and you no longer have the G1 nostalgia effect.

I've really enjoyed some of the recent releases in the MP line. Especially the changes with the accessories. We went from exclusive shoulder cannons for the datsuns which i freaking hated, to TT doing multiple faces, stands, weapons all in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Smint View Post
    I like the cartoon aesthetic because how often do you get a toy transformer that is literally ripped from the cartoon. For me the image i have of transformers is the G1 cartoon. For TT to recreate that feeling and have all the modern engineering and cool accessories is a good thing.
    And from that perspective we can see that toys like MP Inferno are perfect. This toy really feels like Inferno has just jumped out of your TV screen!

Details are nice but add too much and you no longer have the G1 nostalgia effect.
    I don't entirely agree with this as it's highly dependent on one's perspective. You have to remember that the toys came first and are therefore the original source. Many of us started collecting these toys before they appeared in the cartoon and thus have greater fondness for the original toys. Also, some other G1 sources also used more G1 accurate artwork, such as Marvel UK artist John Stokes etc. Not everyone followed Dery's simplified design. Even the G1 cartoon occasionally blended more toy-accurate features, such as the more angular and detailed helmet and face, whereas in other episodes animators stuck to Dery's simplified rounded helmet and face, as can be seen in this side-by-side comparison. This is probably why MP Inferno comes with changeable helmets and faces because even the G1 cartoon inconsistently switched between the Dery and G1 toy designs. For those of us who were exposed to the G1 toys first, we literally saw characters like Inferno transition from high detail to simplification. Okay, in cases like Ratchet/Ironhide, the cartoon design was a definite improvement because the original toys weren't the greatest. But the original G1 Inferno toy is just beautiful, and the slavish cartoon accuracy steps away from that.

Of course, from a cartoon-likeness fan's (like yourself) POV, I can see that MP Inferno must be an absolute delight for you. Don't get me wrong, I still love MP Inferno and I think that he is still a wonderful toy regardless of our opinions about toy vs show accuracy. But I concur with Philby that a hybrid toy-show design (taking the best from both worlds) might've been nicer. But this toy is still bloody fantastic nonetheless.

I've really enjoyed some of the recent releases in the MP line. Especially the changes with the accessories. We went from exclusive shoulder cannons for the datsuns which i freaking hated, to TT doing multiple faces, stands, weapons all in the box.
    The good thing about these accessories is that you can opt in or out of them. Don't like the Nissans' exclusive shoulder cannons? Don't use them. I personally prefer Inferno's toy-accurate chrome grill over the toy-accurate flat grey ones, so I'm only ever going to have the chrome grill attached. Likewise the toy-accurate angular helmet and face. But others can choose to have the Dery/Sunbow-accurate grey grill and broad/simplified helmet and face. It's cool that TakaraTOMY give us the option to customise these toys according to our tastes and spoiling us for choice.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Inferno is oustanding. I love the cartoon look. I want them go re-visit Starscream and make him more toon accurate

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

The good thing about these accessories is that you can opt in or out of them. Don't like the Nissans' exclusive shoulder cannons? Don't use them. I personally prefer Inferno's toy-accurate chrome grill over the toy-accurate flat grey ones, so I'm only ever going to have the chrome grill attached. Likewise the toy-accurate angular helmet and face. But others can choose to have the Dery/Sunbow-accurate grey grill and broad/simplified helmet and face. It's cool that TakaraTOMY give us the option to customise these toys according to our tastes and spoiling us for choice.
    The way i see it with the accessories is they should be included. They went to the effort of engineering amazing articulation why not add the accessories. They just add so much play value to the toy. What better way to take advantage of the articulation by giving him a different expression or 2 guns or a fire hose or blue print etc. So much fun.

The thing with the shoulder cannons is its not like TT officially sell them separately. And i mean we're already paying a premium price can you not just include 2 pieces of plastic so i can complete the look. Make some other exclusive accessory if they have to.

I never collected the comics and it looks like the art work and comics were never consistent anyway. I dunno. I assume most G1 fans would associate the G1 look to the G1 cartoon which was generally basic looking.

I like that they made two helmets for Inferno, based on the two designs in the cartoon. That i feel is going the extra mile and showing TT understands the audience. The audience being G1 geeks who are sometimes very anal about these things lol. But such a nice touch anyway.

The thing with the shoulder cannons is its not like TT officially sell them separately. And i mean we're already paying a premium price can you not just include 2 pieces of plastic so i can complete the look. Make some other exclusive accessory if they have to.
    MP Prowl and Streak retailed for 6090JPY* (AU$70; a few dollars less than this as the AUD was stronger at the time), making them about $30 cheaper than Leader Class toys like Titans Return Blaster etc. I think that's amazing value without the extra launcher!

Anyway, the default in-built launchers are more cartoon-accurate, which I thought was what you preferred anyway. The bonus launchers are based on the G1 toy. Also, the additional launcher was something included by Amazon JP and Hasbro Hong Kong; it was never a standard feature of this toy, even in Japan (unless ordered from Amazon).

I never collected the comics and it looks like the art work and comics were never consistent anyway. I dunno. I assume most G1 fans would associate the G1 look to the G1 cartoon which was generally basic looking.
    Most G1 fans probably do have a bias towards the G1 cartoon, which is what TakaraTOMY is capitalising on. So I don't blame them for doing that. They are giving the majority of collectors what they want. At the end of the day, if I want to play with a perfectly G1 toy-accurate Inferno, I'll play with my G1 Inferno toy! Whereas you can't play with a cartoon, so I think it's really good that these MPs are finally giving us physical manifestations of what we saw on the TV show. And sometimes TakaraTOMY do give us toy and comic-accurate accessories or variants for fans of G1 beyond the cartoon, e.g.:
    + Prowl/Bluestreak's toy-accurate launchers (most likely limited exclusives as most fans prefer show-accuracy, so these accessories are catering for a minority)
    + MP Bumblebee's toy-accurate mask
    + G2 Bumblebee
    + G2 Sideswipe; base retool & bonus accessories are comic-accurate (Manny Galen) with toy-accurate stickers included
    + Toy-accurate heads embedded in chests of MP Ironhide and Ratchet
    + MP Grimlock's eyes able to switch between G1-accurate red or cartoon-accurate blue
    + Variant MP Grimlock with Marvel US (Nel Yomtov) accurate colours and "King Grimlock" crown (which was only ever in the comics; cartoon Grimlock only once referred to himself as a king, but comic Grimlock actually pronounced himself as king and even wore a crown!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *This was the RRP set by TakaraTOMY. Whether retailers choose to charge above or under this price is the decision of those retailers, not TakaraTOMY. Many of us paid <RRP due to early bird preorder prices.

Opened this fella,

and okay, it is better than my expectations. I didn't like this guy from start because I was kinda of sick of red bots at one point.

Surprisingly, I am enjoying this toy over MP-36, not just at price point but just the joy of transforming without over complicating and stressful breakage.

I am actually scoring this a 8/10 due to the amount of extras they thrown in.
    If anything this deserves the long life award over Megatron.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post

Surprisingly, I am enjoying this toy over MP-36, not just at price point but just the joy of transforming without over complicating and stressful breakage.
    Watch the shoulders. They have over complicated twisting and turning breakage point written all over them.
    Odd considering how much was lifted from the original toy and how the arms are left hanging out there.

Was a poll recently added to this thread or was it there all along?
    Cos I just voted on it now, and there's only one other vote cast. I voted for "Yes," I think this toy is worth it. Surely there are more people with thoughts on this toy.

I agree with Jellico on the arms. However I don't fear as much as transforming Megatron.

I just opened Grapple, no its not from PC.
    There are surprising better paint on Inferno than Grapple imo.

Now, should I vote Yes? For $165, it is a bit on pricey but again I think is okay.