Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TFA Voyager Grimlock???

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhide63 View Post
    but seems the Masterpiece Grimlock is cancelled for Australia...
    I wonder where you got this idea?

He's not cancelled as much as he has not even been announced. Hasbro Australia told someone here that Takara Masterpiece Grimlock would not be available. Let's try to give that a bit of context to avoid further confusion:

1. This is not strange as Takara is supposed to stick to their turf while Hasbro sticks to theirs. Australia is Hasbro's turf.

2. While Hasbro Australia has imported Takara branded Masterpiece toys for release here in the past, if I'm not mistaken they have only been toys that Hasbro themselves do not make, e.g. MP Ultra Magnus, and MP Prime w/Trailer.

3. Even though Takara has already released MP Grimlock and Hasbro has not, it has been alleged that Takara designed Grimlock at the strong behest of Hasbro. If you take this rumor along with the recently translated interview of Takara's designers, the magnitude of gimmicks in MP8 would certainly reinforce this. Thus, it is expected that Hasbro eventually will be releasing their own flavor of Masterpiece Grimlock.

4. Once (if) that announcement happens, asking Hasbro Australia if they'll be releasing it locally would make considerably more sense. However, Hasbro Australia rarely seems to have a handle of what's going on at any given moment, and even if they do, there's no guarantee that their information hasn't changed from underneath them since.

5. Lastly, when and if Hasbro Australia do release a Masterpiece Grimlock, whether it be Hasbro's or Takara's, there's no guarantee it's going to be less than A$200 anyway.

So, all that being said, like many others here, I think Takara MP Grimlock is awesome. I agree with Silver Dragon in that I greatly see him as a display piece, if not the most displayable TF I've ever seen, but all the accessories and gimmicks should hopefully add a bit of play value, although that's not my personal area of enjoyment.

If you were to consider getting MP Grimlock, here are a few options:

1. Robot Kingdom current stock
    They have 2 left at the time of me writing this for US$140. If you were to order that by itself shipped to yourself with today's exchange rate (.77 + 2%), that would be A$227.

2. Robot Kingdom pre-order stock
    If you can wait until the September restock (but pay before it), you can save US$20, bringing your individually shipped total to $201.

3. eBay
    Shingstar1982 has plenty of these listed and has even recently reduced prices by about $10. He lists them on various eBays (US/UK/AU) and I find that the ones listed at eBay UK are the best deal, getting it to you shipped for around A$203. While this seller does indeed ship your items to you, his packing effort isn't the best. It might pay to make a specific request if box quality is important to you. There seem to be a few other HK sellers around that price too.

However, if that's still a bit too rich for your blood, I agree that either G1 or Classics/Henkei would be the recommended route.

Henkei Grimlock isn't considered as superior over Hasbro's release as more recent Henkei counterparts are, so definitely take a close look at pics of both Hasbro and Takara so you can decide which one you prefer. You should be able to get Henkei Grimlock shipped to you for less than A$40. I have no idea about Hasbro's, but it should be similar.

But yeah, but try to save up and get the big guy

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Just got an email from BBTS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTS email
    MASTERPIECE GRIMLOCK MP-08 - REISSUE CONFIRMED
    We've just heard word from Japan that the sold-out MP-08 will go back into
    production for an August release. Preorders have been reopened at $144.99
    and are coming in quickly - this has proven to be an extremely popular
    Masterpiece figure of high quality.
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...85&mode=retail
    So a whole 'nother production run of this oh so sexy beast is on the conveyor belt now or very soon.

I loves my Animated Grimlock, but he is far from what i would call a great figure. Being in the same size class as Lugnut does diminish him a bit, since we all know that Animated Lugnut is possibly one of the greatest toys made in recent years.

If it wasn't Grimlock, but another toy who was made to the same standards i'd most likely not be a fan.

Unless you love Animated, and are looking to complete the line, stick with the Activator and keep saving for the MP version, Voyager Grimmy probably wont make you as happy as you hope he will.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    Ever considered a G1 Grimlock? He's much like MP grimlock except a liiiittle bit smaller
    Yeah and doesnt turn his head, lights up or changes eye color, but other than that, transformations the same, plus G1 Grimlock is the one that started it all anyways..... dont even start about that tray and apron brrrrr.

Although saving up for it may work out well in the end (MP grimy) as it helps keep you motivated to save, nothing like a good target to keep the inspiration up. I had to wait 22 years to get me MAX ( Brave Max) so it aint so bad, along the way your collection grows and becomes more precious and its so much satisfying to get what you really are after.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Animated Voyager Grimlock is a winner for me and I'm delighted with him both in either modes. I'd say a very good looking toy especially for animated lovers and perhaps even for some non-animated fans.

But if there'd be only one grimlock in the world that sands can buy, I'll definitely get myself an MP grimlock. Don't just buy toys for any other reasons unless you really really want it. Otherwise, the toy that you utmostly desires might still haunt you in your dreams and that's not healthy. Saving is good! And you'll never know, maybe sometime soon, an MP grimlock *cough hasbro* may pop up in our locals...
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

IMHO:
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we are all going to like different figures for different reasons. TFA Grimmy may grow on you, or you might get it and hate it. This is the risk of collecting TFs. (I would love to say that I have never bought a figure I coveted, only to be incredibly disappointed it).
    Being a huge Dinobot fan, and not a big fan of TFA figures, I will say that I do like my TFA Grimmy and was not at all disappointed. (esp since I got him for $40). Never been fussed on the classics version though.
    For my 2 cents - perhaps save a bit and get a good condition (with all accessories etc) G1 Grimlock off ebay. Thats the real original Grimlock. Doesnt get more Grimlock than the G1 one.
    Cheaper that the MP too.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Not a fan of it. Too loose, too much open space, too flimsy, too ill-thought out.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection