Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't agree with this. Just go to your nearest EB store and check the Wii/Wii-U and even the 3DS library. A lot of it are these sorts of games:

This is what I am calling Baby games because they freaking are. A good game doesn't have to be FPS (Boring!) or dark and gritty. It just has to be enjoyable for people above the age of 6.

Nintendo does have great games but they get released once in a blue moon and most of their franchises are not 'gritty' or FPS and still good with wide praise from hardcore gamers. We need more frequency of decent to good game that anyone would want to play - That was what made the NES and SNES so successful. As you mentioned, when they begun to move away from that, a gradual decline occurred and we are witnessing it's impact today.

Just so you know, Nintendo publishing games in non Nintendo platforms is not unheard of. Not counting the CD-i abortions, there were a series of Mario educational games for PC.
    Yes I agree there are a lot of baby games for the original wii (as shown) but not so much the wii u. In time there most undoubtably would be for all consoles. However I'd be certain it wouldn't be anything as bad as the wii. I think a lot of franchises were trying to cash in on the original wii and their 'gimmick' controllers and the boom of the casual gamers. That's why I was thinking that there needs to be a change in management or at least their vision.. They really need to either be throwing cash or giving incentives to other 3p companies to get them more involved with the wii u and it's capabilities. Hell I'd be happy even if it took them to just program basic controls and not use the controller's full potential, just made it so you could play it off the telly or something basic... Don't get me wrong I love the ps3 but it died sad face RIP... But, yeah they need to do something, put it this way, (a lot of this has to do with ps's non-backwards compatibility as well) but if nintendo made a decent powerful machine, that looked attractive, had all the 1st party franchises plus attracted most of the 3rd parties (just like Sony and Microsoft) I probably never need to buy any other console...

Nintendo doesn't go out sourcing the shovelware in Kup's post, those companies just released it cause there was a massive market. The same thing happened with PS2 and pretty much any of the majorly successful consoles. There are quite a lot of quality 3rd party games on Wii also because of it's success, but they weren't very visible because they're in the sea of shovelware. Wii U has comparatively little shovelware and quality 3rd party games (that aren't ports), cause there is hardly any market.

Having a bustling shelf of games, regardless of quality, only serves to give the public the impression that the system has taken off/is popular, and that just compounds a consoles success. No one thinks PS Vita has any games because it's shelf space is limited to a single, tiny rack in EB (a bit bigger in JB), but the reality is it has heaps of high quality games, not just retail but on PSN as well - with hefty amounts of PS1, PSP and dedicated Vita games that are exclusive to PSN.

Marketing is to thank for that though, pretty much none of the console providers do an adequate job at retail promoting their download services. Partially because the retailers have no incentive to promote them. In recent times they've started offering codes for downloads at retail, but it still has very little visual impact on what the public perceives is the consoles 'full' library.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Nintendo doesn't go out sourcing the shovelware in Kup's post, those companies just released it cause there was a massive market. The same thing happened with PS2 and pretty much any of the majorly successful consoles. There are quite a lot of quality 3rd party games on Wii also because of it's success, but they weren't very visible because they're in the sea of shovelware. Wii U has comparatively little shovelware and quality 3rd party games (that aren't ports), cause there is hardly any market.

Having a bustling shelf of games, regardless of quality, only serves to give the public the impression that the system has taken off/is popular, and that just compounds a consoles success. No one thinks PS Vita has any games because it's shelf space is limited to a single, tiny rack in EB (a bit bigger in JB), but the reality is it has heaps of high quality games, not just retail but on PSN as well - with hefty amounts of PS1, PSP and dedicated Vita games that are exclusive to PSN.

Marketing is to thank for that though, pretty much none of the console providers do an adequate job at retail promoting their download services. Partially because the retailers have no incentive to promote them. In recent times they've started offering codes for downloads at retail, but it still has very little visual impact on what the public perceives is the consoles 'full' library.
    Agree with what you say generally but when I go onto a retailer and I see the shelves for PS3/4 or XBox 360/one, I don't see a wall of Dora the Explorer, littlest pet shop or dancing/exercise type games. So as a consumer that is not a girl or below the age of 8, it's easy to think that the Wii/U is only for those demographics.

Plus what happened with the 'Nintendo's Seal of Approval' which was designed to prevent 'Shovelware'? That's exactly what caused the 1983 crash!

Nintendo needs a change of vision or as some predict, there may not be another console after the Wii-U.

It's just comparatively not visible - ie http://us.playstation.com/games/dora...ngdom-ps3.html

The 3rd party publishers have forever deemed Nintendo for kids/family just because Nintendo's own games have less adult themes. MS & Sony do a better job with their first party products in terms of having a spread of themed games, from something like Little Big Planet or Viva Pinata (very Nintendo-like), to God of War and Halo. As a result the third parties judge the audience as older and therefore it makes sense to release more adult themed games.

Nintendo has never really made adult themed games. You can point to Metroid or Fire Emblem or something but they're still 'games for everyone'. Because they'll never make those games they really should court more 3rd parties to make them. Actually, they most likely they try very hard to get those games, but 3rd parties almost never want to go there because the market doesn't already exist. Every 3rd party that gambles ends up losing out and the cycle continues. This isn't really anything new. The success you mention for the SNES and NES era in terms of great 3rd party games was entirely due to the consoles marketshare.

I remember being so pissed off that, after Street Fighter 2 was such a landmark SNES title, responsible for a huge amount of sales and movement in the console war... there were barely any Capcom games at all on N64, let alone any SF games! The hardware played a part there but still, the money was on PS1 so who could blame Capcom for making that decision.

There's actually 2 new consoles being developed, one being hand held and the other a home console... Code named fusion and fusion ds...apparently

It just has to be enjoyable for people above the age of 6 anyone.
    Those shovelware games are horrendous for everyone and really should never have been made for anyone. The fact it was cheap and easy tog et a Wii development kit and to sell Wii games cheaper made it the ideal breeding ground for those awful games.

Wii U sales will soar (percentage wise at least!) now that Mariokart is out, and with Smash Bros round the corner.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Tfiguy View Post
    There's actually 2 new consoles being developed, one being hand held and the other a home console... Code named fusion and fusion ds...apparently
    I think that at this point, the Fusion is pure rumour.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/zanethewise...-fusion-rumors

A nice rumour though

I think that at this point, the Fusion is pure rumour.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/zanethewise...-fusion-rumors

A nice rumour though
    Here's a vid a bit more up to date by machinema, but just shows specs on the portable one at least but nothing really on the home console. :-/
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmzn5eN6ec0

I have my Wiiu and have no desire to ever purchase the ps4, let alone a Xbox, any other gaming needs I just use stream (rarely). Zombiu was an amazing experience with the tablet controller, best zombie game ever! Looking forward to Bayonetta and soon enough wonderful 101.

Who really wants multiplats on a Nintendo system?
    Nintendo for Ninty games, PS3 for console exclusives (usually jap games), PC for the rest.