Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking in on QLD members

Default Checking in on QLD members

Hello, just wondering if all QLD members are doing okay given the current weather conditions ?

You mean the blue skies and temps in the high 30's weather?

I kid ... I have to kid. News has been ridiculous the last few days basically making it sound like ALL of Queensland is in danger.

Unless Far North Queensland did cede from the rest of Queensland and Bob Katter forgot to tell us.

But seriously, anyone caught up in Marcia, I know what you're going through (all too well). Take it from me, you WILL recover. It'll take a while but you will make it through it.

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    You mean the blue skies and temps in the high 30's weather?

I kid ... I have to kid. News has been ridiculous the last few days basically making it sound like ALL of Queensland is in danger.

Unless Far North Queensland did cede from the rest of Queensland and Bob Katter forgot to tell us.

But seriously, anyone caught up in Marcia, I know what you're going through (all too well). Take it from me, you WILL recover. It'll take a while but you will make it through it.
    I see blue skies and 30 degree weather! But i'm in melbourne for a work thing yesterday... my wife decided not to ask her sister to help get sandbags before she went to work, as a result we flooded, 1-2 inches apparently. Thunderstorm due to hit our area again in 20 mins and dump another 200-300mm today... and i'm stuck here thinking i shouldnt go shopping at lobos and northland in case something worse happens... hoping flights arent cancelled tonight

Default Akky82?

Did you get flooded? Sorry to hear that... Hope Mrs Akky & your home is fine... Just rain in my Areas at moment

Pretty big storm in Rocky, but doesn't look like too much damage looking around. Power is out to most of town though, and probably will be for a few days.

Oh and Burn, it hit central and SE Queensland (but was no longer a cyclone by the time it hit SE). Far north QLD was fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Akky82 View Post
    I see blue skies and 30 degree weather! But i'm in melbourne for a work thing yesterday... my wife decided not to ask her sister to help get sandbags before she went to work, as a result we flooded, 1-2 inches apparently. Thunderstorm due to hit our area again in 20 mins and dump another 200-300mm today... and i'm stuck here thinking i shouldnt go shopping at lobos and northland in case something worse happens... hoping flights arent cancelled tonight
    Damn dude. That sucks. I've been fortunate in that any time we've flooded we've only been cut off, always been high enough to avoid the waters (though since I moved into my new place we haven't had a flood ... here's hoping!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    Oh and Burn, it hit central and SE Queensland (but was no longer a cyclone by the time it hit SE). Far north QLD was fine!
    Oh I know. I was taking the mickey out of all the various news reports that were basically saying ALL of Queensland was affected.

We received an e-mail at work from the head office of one of our professional groups to "wishing all Qld members well during this cyclonic event affecting the whole state".

Plus a text message from a friend in Melbourne who was checking in to make sure I was okay. She knows where I live, but the way things were being reported made it sound like Marcia was blanketing the entire state.

Very sorry to hear about the flooding Akky. I hope there isn't too much damage to your property and it isn't too overwhelming. There was too much rain in Brisbane in three hours up until 1300 on Sat.

It was upgraded from category 1 to 5 (winds in excess of 280km) in under 24 hours. Central Queensland were it made landfall at category 4 (still really bad) was hardest hit. It would have been very scary.

The news reports at times were indeed inaccurate for Brisbane, especially regarding the classification of the storm system by the time it reached SEQ. It seemed to force people to prepare and not be caught off guard.

BOM get a LOT of flack for "getting it wrong", but honestly, give people a bit of a scare and they'll be more prepared.

Just like Yasi though, what Marcia was is really debatable. A lot of the "experts" in the area are saying it was only Cat 1 when it hit, judging by the damage and recorded wind gusts.

Regardless, they're not pleasant things to go through.
    (Unless it's like Cyclone Tash from a few Christmases ago that most people slept through)

A lot of tree damage in Rockhampton. We lost a couple of big trees here-completely uprooted. Luckily no damage to our house. Still without power here, but we have water. Yeppoon got hit hard, with a few houses losing their roof sheeting. A couple got demolished completely. Lots and lots of trees and branches over the place. We've been cutting up trees since Saturday. Lost all the food in our fridge too. Ergon have put generators up on some of the bigger traffic lights, but the first night some douchebags stole 4 of the generators

Very hard to get ice here. And petrol has shot up. One place in town is charging $1.74/L!!

Quote Originally Posted by TAAUBlaster View Post
    Ergon have put generators up on some of the bigger traffic lights, but the first night some douchebags stole 4 of the generators
    I saw that on the news last night. That's disgusting behaviour... that and looting from homes and businesses who have already suffered, and often can't be fully covered for natural disasters like cyclones and floods.