Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 233338394041424344454647485363 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

Cadbury are reducing the size of their chocolate blocks again.

A couple years ago they quietly reduced it from 250gms to 200gms to avoid raising the price (inflation hits everything, so either the price rises or the size is reduced to maintain a price-point)... then they did a big promotional campaign to increase the size from 200gms to 220gms to make out it was a bonus increase.
    Now they are dropping it back to the 200gms again to avoid raising the wholesale/retail price, but where is it going to stop?
    At some point inflation must take over and products can't shrink any further.
    At that point some Brands have been known to introduce a "new" larger size at a higher price that is the same size as what they used to release years ago, and phase out the "old" smaller size.
    With Brands like Cadbury though, people are buying it because of the Brand not the price, so this will probably not make much difference to their sales. If people were buying chocolate because of price instead of taste, there are other brands including generics that are cheaper.

(the one good thing is that when it is a small reduction, it cuts a little junk and calories from the diet... but if it shrinks too much, people will buy a second and end up eating more junk)

Chips are the worst offender for that. Recently Twisties, Burger Rings and Cheetos all dropped their package sizes. Shapes too introduced a few new flavours in new packaging to pretend like it's premium, with something like 115g. The other day in IGA i saw Red Rock chips "on special" for $4.78. I think it was 165 or 175 grams... I think they were always that size but for that price they can stay on the shelf!

So KFC is doing 24 nuggets for $10. And will put it in a large combo, pushing the price up to $15.

Guess who just polished it off and is now hating himself?

This guy.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

The Streetwise Feast is a big/bad temptation with nice variety... and probably the best value meal item on the menu, with the individual items costing about $38, but only costs $20.

For those in Melbourne, or will be in the next few months, the chef staff of the award-winning Fat Duck Restaurant by Heston Blumenthal is in Melbourne for about six months while the Restaurant in Europe is being renovated.

They only have one item on the menu... the "tasting menu" for $545.... but looks to give a sample of many of his imaginative creations.

I wouldn't mind sampling some of the items, but not all of the... or pay that much just for a single meal.

Scratch that... looks like the six month limited time has already been fully booked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    So KFC is doing 24 nuggets for $10. And will put it in a large combo, pushing the price up to $15.

This guy.
    Wow.
    Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post

This guy.
    I've done it a few times in the past fortnight, due to working late. Great to come home and put all the calories I burnt off back on.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    For those in Melbourne, or will be in the next few months, the chef staff of the award-winning Fat Duck Restaurant by Heston Blumenthal is in Melbourne for about six months while the Restaurant in Europe is being renovated.

They only have one item on the menu... the "tasting menu" for $545.... but looks to give a sample of many of his imaginative creations.

I wouldn't mind sampling some of the items, but not all of the... or pay that much just for a single meal.
    Is a bit of shame that it cost so much as most Michelin star restaurants don't even cost up to half that price. I had Gordon Ramsay's 5 meal course for only less than $130

Speaking of Heston... a weekly TV show of his has been showing on SBS on Thursday nights, which he shows off some of his amazing creations, plus super-sizing certain food items each episode.