Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers Assemble!

Saw the movie last night; Absolutely expertly and excellently executed! - Joss Whedon deserves a bloody Oscar for this effort as he took several greatly larger than life characters and perfectly balanced their dialogue, story and screen-time to a tee - This is by far the definitive Marvel film, possibly the single best Super Hero flick too IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    possibly the single best Super Hero flick too IMO.
    The Dark Knight is still my favourite super hero movie IMHO. The Avengers is no where near as story-driven... but of course, with half a dozen protagonists comprising a cast ensemble, it's not really possible unless you only focus on one hero and develop that character at the expense of the others... which is what happened in X-Men 2 (focused on Wolverine's story).

As far as ensemble cast hero movies are concerned, I'd say the first X-Men was more story-driven (using Rogue and Wolverine as the main protagonists). But I can see what Whedon's tried to achieve with The Avengers and allow each of the characters to experience some form of journey; each of them coming to terms with personal issues to varying degrees. Naturally there's only so much you can do when trying to develop that many characters in a limited span of time... so in context of what the movie wanted to achieve, I thought it was rather well done. While the character development may have been rather rudimentary, importantly it worked well. Better to keep a story relatively simple and 'manageable' rather than try to wig it out too much and get things in a convoluted tangled mess... like Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon. The Avengers is a good example of the K.I.S.S. principle in action. If the next Transformers movie could be as good as The Avengers, then I'll be one extremely happy chappy.

Seems the American release has an additional post credits scene, nothing major, but very whedon-esc

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Seems the American release has an additional post credits scene, nothing major, but very whedon-esc
    which is???

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    which is???
    +1

The Avengers have shwarma for a post-battle lunch.

^ Highlight to read ^

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

saw the movie today (just came back from it). SEEN IT, LOVED IT!

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

After seeing the Avenger's today, I think Joss Whedon should be the one making the next transformers movie, maybe he'd get it right

This is what we missed at the end of the credits in the Australian version:
    http://www.hypable.com/2012/05/04/wa...gets-his-wish/