Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Uncle Iceburns Tech Help Desk

So another techie came today and explained to me that he couldn't install the NBN box inside our lounge room or any other room because it would be too hazardous for him to do so. And quite frankly, my convenience isn't worth putting a human life at risk, so I told him to install it in the garage.

So now it's sitting in the garage, and I have no idea how to wirelessly connect my desktop PC to that box that isn't hooked up to any computer. The instructions supplied by my ISP tells me to go to my Wifi settings on my computer, which I have NO idea how to do. I tried to call the tech support number and the automated system placed me in a queue and said that there would be an expected 30 min wait. Yeah... cos last time I heard that I waited for 2 hours for nothing. Not doing that again.

So if anyone could provide any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Can your PC receive a wi-fi signal? If it can, see below:

Look at your system tray and find the icon as indicated (and applicable):

Win 7/8:

Win 10 :

Click on the name that belongs to your network (it should be on a card or a piece of paperwork) and then type in the password (on your paperwork) when prompted for it.

You should be connected providing the password is correct.

If your computer can't receive a wi-fi signal, then you should've been given a wi-fi dongle that looks something like this:

There should be detailed instructions with your paperwork on how to install the dongle (if you've been given one).

Otherwise if you don't have a dongle (), and you don't see those icons, you need to manually enter the info.

So go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre (or something similar) > Setup a new connection or network (or something similar) > Manually connect to a wireless network.

Enter all your details that have been provided and proceed to connect.

I'm using Win 10, so the section in the network centre may be labelled differently if you're using Win7/8.

My PC doesn't have a wifi signal icon. I tried going to Control Panel, but the only option given to me is "Connect using DSL or cable that requires a user name and password."

Neither my ISP or the NBN tech provided me with a dongle.

Sounds like you don't have wi-fi connectivity built-in then.

You'll either have to pester your ISP for a dongle, or try to run a LAN cable from the garage to your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Sounds like you don't have wi-fi connectivity built-in then.

You'll either have to pester your ISP for a dongle, or try to run a LAN cable from the garage to your PC.
    Yeah, the latter isn't possible without creating a tripping hazard. I've posted on my ISP's FB page. Thanks for your help.

No worries!

Hope you get given a dongle -- then you will be truly fulfilled!

Useless ISP... on hold with them for nearly an hour today, and they gave me these options:
    * Get an electrician to come in and install data points, at my expense.
    * Purchase an external wifi adapter, at my expense.

The second option is significantly cheaper, although the first one would have support from my ISP -- but I would have to call them again and go on hold again and... gah! I'm gonna go with option 2.

Anyone knowledgeable on winscp?

Does anyone know how to fix a win 7 reboot loop?

Megatran Guest

My tv has lost a few pixels on the screen. Is there an easy way to fix it? (warranty has long past).

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Does anyone know how to fix a win 7 reboot loop?
    Hope you got it solved.