Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111626 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan-backed Hasbro project: Unicron

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Here's something I found asking myself... even if I were to get this toy... what would I do with it? :/ It's a toy that's too big and heavy to really play with as an action figure. Heck, even toys like Fortress Maximus are too big to be action figures - they're more like transforming play sets for other Transformers (and Cerebros exists so that you do have an action figure). Even Armada Unicron is interactive with Mini-Cons. What would I do with this toy? Because if I can't play with it then it's essentially going to be an over-glorified paperweight.
    This is why I've stopped buying the Titan class figures :P

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    What would I do with this toy? Because if I can't play with it then it's essentially going to be an over-glorified paperweight.
    I still hate this line of thought Gok.

We've debated this in the past, at any one time 95% of your collection are paperweights.

However each to their own. But personally I think he'll look great on a shelf with the rest of the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    OTOH if Gok is having trouble storing it God knows where you could keep it in a Japanese house?
    This point doesn’t really make any sense.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

It's been amazing to see the frenzied discussion this figure announcement has caused. Here on OzF it's been pretty on-point and respectful, but on many overseas fan sites and on FB people are going nuts!

One new figure announced and the entire international fandom has lost it's collective friggin mind and gone to war with itself! If the online chatboards were a real-life pub there would have been dozens of punch-ups and at least one stabbing by now!

Ironically for me, space is the least of my concerns. With the new TF shed I'd have plenty of space to display it, but primarily because of the shed I don't have the funds to buy it, even if I could somehow purchase it and get it shipped to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It's been amazing to see the frenzied discussion this figure announcement has caused. Here on OzF it's been pretty on-point and respectful, but on many overseas fan sites and on FB people are going nuts!

One new figure announced and the entire international fandom has lost it's collective friggin mind and gone to war with itself! If the online chatboards were a real-life pub there would have been dozens of punch-ups and at least one stabbing by now!
    Too true mate. It's embarrassing to read some of the things being said.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

There's a special place waiting for people like that

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Don't know if you guys have watched this episode of Retro Blasting about the sail barge. That thing was huge.

The American presenter ended up taking the barge to the guy that bought it in Australia. watch them opening it at 10:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgy_NonMRI8
    Wow. Not into the Star Wars toy scene so had no idea about the Barge. What the Youtuber did though was pretty cool. A lot of people would have probably just taken the "donation" and that would be it. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post

Ironically for me, space is the least of my concerns. With the new TF shed I'd have plenty of space to display it, but primarily because of the shed I don't have the funds to buy it, even if I could somehow purchase it and get it shipped to Australia.
    Yes yes you are getting an awesome shed to display your whole collection. Stop bragging about it all the time. I am getting more and more jealous!

I am going to remain positive and hope that there will be a way that I will get this glorious bot into my collection. It may not be for everyone but I always wanted a HUGE Unicron as a kid. I used to make up stories about how big it would be and how I would interact with it. I remember once telling a kid (when we were like 8) that there was a Unicron toy but that it was the size of a room. This just feels like it is bringing that story to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Yes yes you are getting an awesome shed to display your whole collection. Stop bragging about it all the time. I am getting more and more jealous!
    And right there you've put your finger on the only reason I continually bring it up

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I still hate this line of thought Gok.

We've debated this in the past, at any one time 95% of your collection are paperweights.
    Mathematically speaking I only need to play with 6 toys a day to go through my whole collection in a year (and I often play with more toys than that), but I take your point that the other toys would remain unplayed with on any given day. But that's due to the fact that we have large collections due to collecting these things for 3.5 decades. Every toy that I get is thoroughly played with and even after I shelve them they continue to cycle through being played with afterwards. This Unicron would be a toy that, if I bought it, I cannot imagine ever playing with it. My toys were purchased with the intention of being played with and I try to play with them when I can - they have incidentally become paperweights but would at least be played with roughly once a year. A Unicron of this size and weight is a toy that I don't think that I could ever play with. At most I might fiddle with it once in a blue moon but I don't think that I would ever play with it. Sure, I could take some mad photos of it and with digital cheating even make it to scale with other toys (see example below). But beyond that? I dunno.

And the price is a big thing. Including postage this toy would clock around a grand. That's how much I spend on Transformers in half a year. So for me to buy this toy would mean that I would sacrifice 6 months' worth of TF buying. That's a whole lot of other toys to miss out on just to get one toy.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    However each to their own. But personally I think he'll look great on a shelf with the rest of the collection.
    Absolutely. I'm only talking about my own circumstances. If other people can justify spending money on this toy, and if they have the space to display it, and they are able to play with it - then hey, more power to them. I can vicariously enjoy this toy through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    This is why I've stopped buying the Titan class figures :P
    Titan Class is about the biggest that I can get with what I consider to be still playable figures, although admittedly they're not easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    This point doesn't really make any sense.
    I think what Jellico means is that:
    * Most Japanese homes are small/compact (Japan has more than 5 times Australia's population in a country that's roughly the size of New Zealand)
    * Many Japanese collectors keep their toys in box, even if it's loose in box. This is because Japan has a lot of seismic activity so keeping toys in their packaging protects them if they fall off shelves.
    So as much as we Western fans might have difficulty finding space for our toys it can be even trickier for Japanese fans, making this toy potentially less appealing for Japanese fans.

The SDCC Hasbro display preview of Unicron in both modes and finally some images of the back of both modes...
    https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/07/17/...unicron-391551