Thread: Reporting Excess Shipping on eBay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Reporting Excess Shipping on eBay

I know this frustrates a lot of members, even if the shipping charges are declared clearly up front. Turns out this is clearly against eBay policy and there is a facility to report it.

Policy: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/polici...-shipping.html

To report:

1. Report Item
    2. Reason for Report: "Listing policy violations (improper keywords, outside links, etc.)"
    3. Detailed Reason: "Circumvention of eBay fees"
    4. Additional Information: "Excessive shipping and handling"

Yeah I report these all the time whenever I come across something that interests me but the seller has over-inflated the postage costs to make up for the lower sale price.

I remember when I was looking around for a Unicron, I saw one listed for USD$9.95 as a Buy It Now price, however the postage cost to Sydney was USD$90

Needless to say, I reported it and eBay cancelled the listing - it eventually was relisted a couple of weeks later at USD$90 inc free shipping.

Ok, take this eBay auction for example. I was looking to complete a few figures and this seller had a few bits and pieces I needed but wouldn't budge on his postage price and policy. I told him that this would affect his selling to overseas bidders but he didn't seem to care.

Do we have some kind of standing against people like this? Can we make them list a more appropriate shipping cost?

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Ok, take this eBay auction for example. I was looking to complete a few figures and this seller had a few bits and pieces I needed but wouldn't budge on his postage price and policy. I told him that this would affect his selling to overseas bidders but he didn't seem to care.

Do we have some kind of standing against people like this? Can we make them list a more appropriate shipping cost?
    The thing is that if you actually order it, once it arrives you will notice that it only cost him $5-$8 to send. It's a scam and all too common, I am a afraid.

Hmm I don't think this particular auction is a scam in any way. He just ships international express to cover his own ass in case someone pulls a dodgy and files a paypal dispute; claiming they never received the item (even if they did).

Also, if you change the shipping destination to the United States - you'll notice the seller offers free shipping. Verno, I think your situation is different to what jay has pointed out. You're probably better off hunting for this piece elsewhere

Even so, $43US is a tad high. It should be around $28 express for something like this.
    Last edited by canofwhoopass_87; 11th February 2010 at 01:48 PM.

I agree. $5-8 is a completely unrealistic expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Umm.. If it helps a fellow fan any bit... I managed to pick up a MISB BW Airazor (original and not the transmetal 2 monstrosity) for half the total price of the quoted foot/laser. This one had a typo in the listing. I've seen a few more go for similar prices since.

I do a worldwide eBay search for "Transformers Beast Wars" every week or so and go through maybe a week's worth of listing. Quite enjoy seeing the healthy and consistent number of BW auctions.

That's certainly a worthwhile option - buy a complete toy from a source that doesn't want/worry to protect themselves with expensive shipping rates, and then 'discard' the rest of the toy cheaply to someone else.

From one extreme to another...
    I just received a partial refund from a US seller on my postage. Turns out the actual postage was less than what he had listed.

It was only us$1.75 but it's the thought that counts.

Just as a follow-up to Verno or anyone else interested, original Beast Wars Airazor 100% complete:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-...item563a164cc2

4647 point, 100% positive feedback seller; 2 days 11 hours left til finish, around $20 atm.