Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Excess Shipping on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Please, don't take my word for it. Research it yourself.
    *Looks at US sent medium sized boxes ranging from $10-$12.50 in shipping costs which were accurately charged by seller*

Already have. Thank you.

Well, you're not acknowledging the parameters of PayPal Seller Protection. Do you think that since some sellers forgo that protection, the sellers that don't forgo it are overcharging you? That's hardly a fair assessment.

I personally think its more unfair that someone gets charged $43 shipping on a tiny scout weapon just because he is not living in the seller's heck of the woods.

Canofwhoopass is right, if the seller wanted the protection, $43 is excesive.

Now let us drop this before it degenerates.
    Last edited by kup; 11th February 2010 at 06:59 PM.

There's no need for anything to degenerate.

It's good for people to be aware of all the parameters that relate to a seller's determined postage cost. It helps avoid unrealistic expectations.

If the seller has weighed this part, allocated a box to which he also knows the weight, and is aware that all of that is less than 1kg, then yes, it is indeed excessive. However, there is a lot of assumptions in there. I'd be curious to know how many sellers actually even own a postage scale (I know Kyle & I do! ).

Personally, I think this seller and many others simply plug .5lb or 1lb into the eBay calculator because it's just safe and not worth the effort to prepack and weigh every little gun that someone overseas might want.

However, let's give credence to all of your assumptions. Let's say this guy made the equivalent of a cardboard ring box to store it in and managed to get it under the 0.5lb Express minimum. That means the cost is $28.95.

So, based on all of that, don't you think that your expectation of $5 to $8 for such a service is a bit "excessive"?

We seem to be arguing this from such different points of view that we will never see eye to eye.

In order to agree with you I would have to set my mind that its fair for a seller to choose to charge $43 in deliberately over priced Express shipping for a tiny item the size of my pinky toe at a fraction of the weight when he also has the choice to charge $12-$15 In priority shipping and $7-$12 (or less) First class with decent packaging. Let's not get into why local US buyers happen to get free shipping.

Yes the choice does indeed exist since some succesful and long lasting US sellers do provide it regardless of Paypal fees and that's why they are in my favorite list.

We will not see eye to eye on this and I have my own experiences that form my bias and you have yours.

Thank you.
    Last edited by kup; 11th February 2010 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Yes the choice does indeed exist since some succesful and long lasting US sellers do provide it regardless of Paypal fees and that's why they are in my favorite list.
    (emphasis is mine)

you do understand that what jay is talking about has nothing to do with paypal fees whatsoever dont you?

he is arguing that sellers are trying to avoid Fruad by a buyer claiming non recipt of an item that is not shipped in accordance with the paypal buyer protection scheme.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    (emphasis is mine)

you do understand that what jay is talking about has nothing to do with paypal fees whatsoever dont you?

he is arguing that sellers are trying to avoid Fruad by a buyer claiming non recipt of an item that is not shipped in accordance with the paypal buyer protection scheme.....
    Like I said, different viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Like I said, different viewpoints.
    no
    different topic.
    fraud protection and sellers avoiding extra paypal fees are two completely different topics all together.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    no
    different topic.
    fraud protection and sellers avoiding extra paypal fees are two completely different topics all together.
    You are right, that is why I want to drop it so that it would not deviate any further from his topic.

You want to stop it now? or do you also want to continue on the $5-$8 thing? It's already stablished that we are arguing differnet things.
    Last edited by kup; 11th February 2010 at 11:31 PM.

The problem is that in your assessment of postage rates you are ignoring the documented requirements for fraud protection. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you about the fact that the postage costs you posted are the likely costs for sending an item of this size for each of those classes, but due to your refusal to acknowledge the fraud protection, we're left to assume that:

1. You don't think sellers should protect themselves for an item of this nature.
    2. You think sellers are protected even when using the the shipping methods you posted.

Please let us know which it is, or if it's something I haven't mentioned.

Now, though we haven't gone to far from, let's mildly come back to the topic. This thread is about violations of eBay's policy regarding excessive shipping. How can you ignore PayPal's shipping requirements when discussing violations of this policy? How can you declare that it's "a scam" to use the only shipping method that offers a seller fraud protection?