Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reporting Excess Shipping on eBay

Was charged 13.50 GBP ($20.60 AU) to send 4x cassettes http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380368928...84.m1439.l2649

i thought this was rediculous and told the seller so.

As a comparison i paid 5 GBP ($7.60 AU) for this to be sent http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160651662...84.m1439.l2649

Surely a vinyl record is larger and more difficult to package than 4 loose cassettes...?

Edit: oh here we go, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110736156...84.m1439.l2649

used the 'buy it now' feature ($8 AU) and got FREE postage...

It's only excess shipping if they charge you a significant amount more than they actually use (it's not just the postage you are paying for).

However, it isn't excessive shipping if they charge you the minimum amount required to cover them in a transaction dispute (like a trackable shipping rate). There may well be a cheaper postage option, but if the seller uses it, they would lose an ebay/paypal dispute if a buyer asks them to prove it was sent.

(apparently it happens - people buy stuff specifically to get the item free by filing a dispute, because the seller didn't use the more expensive shipping option with a tracking number)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It's only excess shipping if they charge you a significant amount more than they actually use (it's not just the postage you are paying for).

However, it isn't excessive shipping if they charge you the minimum amount required to cover them in a transaction dispute (like a trackable shipping rate). There may well be a cheaper postage option, but if the seller uses it, they would lose an ebay/paypal dispute if a buyer asks them to prove it was sent.

(apparently it happens - people buy stuff specifically to get the item free by filing a dispute, because the seller didn't use the more expensive shipping option with a tracking number)

I've had that happen twice. One I lost, and that's the risk of the game if you send it uninsured. The other I had a tracking number, and settled in my favour.

Everyone who sells should be VERY careful, and used registered mail as a minimum. Even if there isn't full insurance coverage, you have proof of postage which paypal accepts.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I wont sell on eBay anymore, as New Zealand Post removed all tracking on Airmail parcels and now its only available on EMS which adds some significant amount of $ to the postage cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    I wont sell on eBay anymore, as New Zealand Post removed all tracking on Airmail parcels and now its only available on EMS which adds some significant amount of $ to the postage cost.
    I dont understand EMS. From Japan EMS seems cheap as chips but from everywhere else its super expensive...

How's this for proof of excessive shipping...

Same item for both people (SDCC Zombie Cliffjumper).
    Same location (California).
    Same destination (Australia).
    Same shipping type (USPS First Class Mail International)

Different shipping amounts claimed...
    adorablackcollectables - $100 (will ship within 30 days of being paid)
    Darrens5150 - $27.50 (will ship within 1 day of being paid)

That first person really wants to price-gouge desperate foreigners.

Decepticon Guest

Im having a similar problem atm. Someone in L.A wants to buy an item from me. It weighs just under 2 kg. Quoted him $72.50 but apparently this is too much!
    I cant help it if THATS what Aust post charges!
    I cant help if U.S postal people inflict a $9 security surcharge on it!
    I need to cover my self incase item goes missing which is why I quote registered price. And not cheaper sea/air mail.

People who buy things dont care if an item gets lost as they can be reimburssed by paypal (which takes money out MY account).

The man and over charging legend Wheeljackslab on ebay has filed a dispute against me cause I refuse to pay $39US for a $10 loose laserRod. tried talking to him about doing it cheaper. Even just put it in a bag. He wont do it. Postage $39 is all he says and buy more to make the postage look better.

Sorry but its never going to happen.

I can understand and accept high shipping prices if it covers the seller in a dispute (paypal/ebay needs tracking number to prove it was sent)... so if there is no cheaper shipping amount for a trackable package (to cover themselves), no matter how tiny the object is, it isn't their fault.
    If you find someone who is willing to take the risk and post something at a cheaper rate that doesn't cover them if the buyer claims they never got it (or it actually gets lost in the mail), then that's great. But to be fair, if someone has been burnt before by doing that, they aren't going to offer cheaper shipping if it leaves them vulnerable for losing a paypal dispute.

Shop around first, if it is possible, and find someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care that their cheaper postage rate won't cover them if the item doesn't arrive (or the buyer wants to get the item for free by claiming it never arrived).
    It's unfortunate that this happens, but until such time Ebay forces all items to be shipped by the higher rate (to prevent all those costly disputes), take advantage of those who offer cheaper, unregistered shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    The man and over charging legend Wheeljackslab on ebay has filed a dispute against me cause I refuse to pay $39US for a $10 loose laserRod. tried talking to him about doing it cheaper. Even just put it in a bag. He wont do it. Postage $39 is all he says and buy more to make the postage look better.

Sorry but its never going to happen.
    Dude, I hate to be a negative nancy but if you've completed a purchase without first getting an agreed lower shipping rate other than that displayed, you are bound by auction rules to pay up. I've passed up on single items several times now because it was the only thing the seller had that I wanted and they would only ship registered, i just didn't bid/purchase.

I think their international registered starts at about 30 to 35 at least and goes up from there by weight, so another couple figures would maybe add a couple extra dollars.

it really is unfortunate that people aren't comfortable with USPS first class international as it is much cheaper, but has no tracking. I usually ask a seller if they are willing to use it, if they say no, I thank them for their time and move on.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)