Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 31st May 2018, 11:11 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Bad news. I checked with HLJ. They are going to be collecting GST.

Quote:
Thank you for your message.

We are aware of these new regulations, and are currently working on ways to have everything we need in place for our Australian customers by July 1st. We'll be doing everything we can to comply with these new standards, including collecting GST on orders from customers in Australia.

We very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us about this.

Best regards,
Old 31st May 2018, 11:40 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

they must make enough business out of Australia for it to be worth their while I guess.
My tentative foray into Reviewing Movie Human alliance Characters: Coming Soon
Old 31st May 2018, 01:07 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

And even worse news. Amazon is going to refuse to ship to Australia from any international Amazon site

https://www.theage.com.au/business/c...31-p4zikr.html
Old 31st May 2018, 01:32 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
And even worse news. Amazon is going to refuse to ship to Australia from any international Amazon site

https://www.theage.com.au/business/c...31-p4zikr.html
I got an email from them this morning, saying that my access to the US site would be cut off, but offering a $20 voucher as incentive to use the AUS version - like they have anything I want

Follow on FB: BigAngryTrev Twitter: @BigAngryTrev and Tumblr: BigAngryTrev!

Toy Reviews: POTP Optimal & Unicronus, POTP Terrorcons,
Articles: Sophie Monk to play Octopunch in movie?
Old 31st May 2018, 01:45 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I'm slightly confused about how they intend to enforce this against tiny vendors?

If this has already been posted somewhere smack me down for being ignorant, but do the packages have to ship with some kind of endorsement that GST has been paid?

For example, I collect high end replica lightsabers. These are usually made in small runs of say 30-40, and usually sold by vendors in America. One of the best is Vader's Vault, which is literally a "mom and pop" operation. What's the mechanic to get what is literally a small family business that makes a lot of international sales to collect the GST and pay it to the Federal Govt?
Old 31st May 2018, 02:23 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
I'm slightly confused about how they intend to enforce this against tiny vendors?

If this has already been posted somewhere smack me down for being ignorant, but do the packages have to ship with some kind of endorsement that GST has been paid?

For example, I collect high end replica lightsabers. These are usually made in small runs of say 30-40, and usually sold by vendors in America. One of the best is Vader's Vault, which is literally a "mom and pop" operation. What's the mechanic to get what is literally a small family business that makes a lot of international sales to collect the GST and pay it to the Federal Govt?
As it stands the law says you need to sell $75,000 of product to Australia per year to require tax collection. A lot of smaller sites will just claim they don't sell that much.
Old 31st May 2018, 07:56 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

All pre-orders due after July 1st from anywhere outside of Australia are now at risk, if the business decides it is easier to not deal with Australia after that date than to collect tax for a foreign government and make payments.
HLJ could still decide that that is the easiest option to do that too... so we still have to have our fingers crossed if we have any pre-orders there after July 1st... and to be able to still use them, especially for the POTP and Movie toys that are identical to Hasbro versions (as a backup for losing Amazon).
Old 31st May 2018, 09:16 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I'm a little bit worried cause although the majority of my Transformer shopping is either local, through littletoycompany or even through Ozformers and TCCA, I do buy quite a bit of stuff online. I've already noticed that some music websites are already charging taxes on digital downloads, plus I tend to buy a lot of physical music from the UK so I'm worried that this new legislation could lead to independent stores to stop shipping stuff to Australia
Old 31st May 2018, 09:49 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post

Off topic but I've been meaning to pick up a Vaders Vault Saber for a few years now. They look awesome. Eventually I'll pick up a Hero
Old 4th June 2018, 08:12 PM
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member

Damn, I even got an email from Buyee who I sometimes use as a Proxy from YHJ.

===============
Thank you for using Buyee.

Starting July 2018, the amendement of Australia's A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act will be applied.

Please check the Australian Tax Office homepage for details.
http://a06.hm-f.jp/cc.php?t=M604545&c=130819043&d=9452

The above changes will go into effect for Buyee after July 1st, 2018.
The following products and services will apply the 10% GST.

■Auctions: Items won from auctions and the service handling fee after July 1st
■Shopping: Items bought via the proxy purchasing and the service handling fee after July 1st
■Shipping: Fees relating to shipping packages after July 1st

Please reference the below page to learn more about what goods and services the GST will affect.