Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planet X vs Fansproject not-Sludge

Default Planet X vs Fansproject not-Sludge (& Dinobots)

PLANET X NEPTUNE

FANSPROJECT COLUMPIO & DERPAN

Oh dear... what am I going to do?? Here I thought I was set for a bunch of Dinobots having started to invest in Planet X's line with Caelus... but now FP has gone and thrown a serious spanner in the works!! No doubt this sudden output and competition owes no small amount to AoE...

So... looks like they're near the same size scale, and near the same price too (from BBTS and TFsource so far). Planet X sticking to their guns and going with the FoC aesthetic (which for me is near acceptable for a CHUG stand in) whilst FP are going more for an updated G1 style.

What a difficult choice that is!! Do I stick with PX (using FoC Voyager Grimlock) and end up spending around $350-400 to get 5 core Dinobots (or probably closer to $450 if getting their Grimlock)? Or should I switch to FP and look to spend probably at least $500 to get 5 Dinobots and abandon the current ones I have? Or go all out to get both, looking at $1000 all up!

I think I'm gonna be nutting this out for a while...
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

I'd stick with FP as you're looking at proven quality and awesome designs IMO.
    Planet X's not-Sludge isn't hiding his robot form that well in dino mode when compared to FP's.
    Alternatively, you've got the cheaper TFC Chinese dinobots that combine and will set you back less than a hundred bucks shipped

Isn't there another set of not-Dinobots incoming as well?

I'm not sure, but I think there's about 5, maybe 6 different groups planning them atm.
    Maybe wait a while and see what else people come out with.

Oh yeah, and current best guess for the FP LER-05 is Slapper.

For my part, I might grab an updated Snarl if one of them really blows me away (heck, if they do an affordable good G1-esque deco of the AoE Snarl I might even bite on that), will definitely want a new Sludge to replace my broken G1 (well, reissue) one, probably Fanstoys since I want him to be big, and I imagine I'll fork out for a Paddles and maybe Slapper as well. I'm sticking with Animated for the other three.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 12th July 2014 at 12:25 PM.

I think the Fansproject set are meant to bigger than the FoC Grimlock voyager.

I should think there's an easy solution to this dilemma. Continue with your FoC aesthetic started with Caelus, and on the next shelf display Fansproject G1 dinosaurs!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Isn't there another set of not-Dinobots incoming as well?

I'm not sure, but I think there's about 5, maybe 6 different groups planning them atm.

For my part, I might grab an updated Snarl if one of them really blows me away (heck, if they do an affordable good G1-esque deco of the AoE Snarl I might even bite on that), will definitely want a new Sludge to replace my broken G1 (well, reissue) one, probably Fanstoys since I want him to be big, and I imagine I'll fork out for a Paddles and maybe Slapper as well. I'm sticking with Animated for the other three.
    I haven't heard of yet another non-Dinobots... that's quite a lot!! So... FansToys, Planet X, FP, TFC, and more yet!?

I have toyed with the idea of mixing lines to make up a set of Dinobots but I'm unsure about that... still probably leaning toward getting a unified aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I think the Fansproject set are meant to bigger than the FoC Grimlock voyager.
    Going by recent 3rd party history, a $100 figure can generally be expected to be just about Voyager size. MMC Feral Rex figures are examples of such, as is Warbot Revolver (although that's $90). If PX is doing a smaller scale than FP and asking the same price, that's gonna be a bad move. My bet is that these two figures are going to be quite comparable in size... roughly Voyager, perhaps Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I should think there's an easy solution to this dilemma. Continue with your FoC aesthetic started with Caelus, and on the next shelf display Fansproject G1 dinosaurs!
    I wish I could of course... but just not in a position to automatically be able to fork out near $1000 for both sets...
    Last edited by Gasaraki; 13th July 2014 at 05:10 AM.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

Buy them. Buy them all!!!!!

Seriously though I feel your pain. All the teasers hitting us at the moment has me pretty excited. So much damn dinobot action. And nothing even vaguely AOE it's all G1 and FOC inspired. Love it

I think I'll get both and ditch the Masterpiece scaled ones.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post
    I wish I could of course... but just not in a position to automatically be able to fork out near $1000 for both sets...
    Probably best to stick to one. I'm guessing it might take another 18 months to release the entire 6-figure set for the FP-LER line. However, since you're an avid CHUG-scale collector, I'm guessing you won't be able to turn away from all the awesome third party combiners and city-bots.

If you're serious about collecting both lines, I'd go with FP first, as it is the more difficult of the two when swallowing after-market prices.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post

Do you REALLY need two functioning kidneys? That's a luxury we can all live without. Just like having a perfect credit history and a clean criminal record. They're Dinobots!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!