Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1 Acid Storm

Default G1 Acid Storm

So being a bit of a seekers fan and my favourite colour being green, I always liked Acid Storm even though he was a very minor minor minor character.

I finally decided to branch out from simply being a collector and try my hand at a bit of painting. So I decided I wanted to add Acid Storm to my G1 seeker collection. Here is my progress:

First to assemble all the parts

He is made from a variety of seekers; Starscream (Wings, horizontal tail fins, missiles and on missile launcher tip), Skywarp (Canope and missile launchers), Thundercracker (Vertical tail fins) and Ramjet (Body, hands and landing gear).

It was actually quite fun stripping them down and seeing how intricate the pieces are.

After pulling everything apart and giving them all a good clean it came time to prime the pieces. I used Tamiya Spray Primer.

This was trial by error as I was not really sure what I was doing haha. After this I used a Tamiya Green Spray and just did what I did with the primer. In no time I had everything ready to assemble.

Now was the test to see whether I could actually put it back together!

And apparently I could! But it was missing something....

Stickers!

I haven't been game enough to transform him yet but all the joints move rather smoothly so it shouldn't be a problem. I did notice that some of the paint came off a little as it was reassembled but nothing really noticeable.

Anyways this was my first attempt and surely not to be my last. It took a good month to do but that was more my busy real life stopping me from actually completing it.

Now to figure out my next one, perhaps the blue rainmaker

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    He is made from a variety of seekers; Starscream (Wings, horizontal tail fins, missiles and on missile launcher tip), Skywarp (Canope and missile launchers), Thundercracker (Vertical tail fins) and Ramjet (Body, hands and landing gear).
    Decepticon X!

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    It was actually quite fun stripping them down and seeing how intricate the pieces are.
    This is why I still love G1. While the designs may be dated by today's standards, they were really quite remarkable at the time.

that cool man... look originals g1
    A small tip for you when customising .. If you're worried about rub points when transforming then reassemble after priming to know where it rubbing when you've transformed him , so you know where to sand down before the final colour .... Also you have to clear coat at the end to protect the paint so it won't chip or peel etc .... have fun

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    Also you have to clear coat at the end to protect the paint so it won't chip or peel etc
    Now that is what i was missing. Thanks for the tip.

The end product looks nice, but I also find it very interesting to see a G1 seeker completely taken apart. It's given an insight into how those toys work.

What a great job for a first time. Well done! Looks great, from the pictures the paint app looks nice and even.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Nice job mate I have considered doing some custom seekers myself but because of time restrictions (life) never had enough motivation to start.

@lancalot
    is this clear coat called just that "clear coat" and should I be able to get it from most hobby shops?

I think Tamiya do like a clear top coat spray. Is this what you are suggesting?

yeah that good...but cost a bit , but if you can't get to a hobby shop ...you can just use normal clear acrylic spray paint from bunnings "white knight" ...just choose what finish you want ...matte , satin or gloss ..... glossy is harder to spray from a can and just remember thin coats ....which is hard as you can't see it... just don't over spray it ..leave it and come back in an hour for another coat.... i also found that from the spray can ...the clear coat bring out the colour abit more as well...
    * Also of note is that silver and chrome paint will turn dull from the clear coat unless it water base ....

ummm you don't wanna add some camouflage paint designs to his wings?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]