Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182333 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Here is an progression update on restoring this Scourge:

Hi Kup, did you have to take all the screws out to remove his large 'wings' for treatment?

I have just started on a green scourge today treating one of the leg guard parts, hes not as green as yours but still green!

Thanks

Those Scourge & Slugslinger progress pics are way cool.

Question for you guys and gals though. I just got myself a Triggerhappy, he was pristine looking in the ebay auction, but the guy left him near the window while the auction was underway and now he is a bit yellowed on the gray parts. Major bummer dude.

Unfortunately the grey parts on THappy are
    A) connected via a number of pins, which will be hard to remove
    B) Have the bronze paint applications on the thrusters, which I doubt will fair well if I immerse the parts in H2O2.

So, has anyone got ideas? I think I remember reading that the guys who came up with this also tried making a paste form of H2O2. Has anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Hi Kup, did you have to take all the screws out to remove his large 'wings' for treatment?

I have just started on a green scourge today treating one of the leg guard parts, hes not as green as yours but still green!

Thanks
    I completely removed all screws and removed each 'wing' and leg piece individually.

Good luck with your Scourge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post
    Those Scourge & Slugslinger progress pics are way cool.

Question for you guys and gals though. I just got myself a Triggerhappy, he was pristine looking in the ebay auction, but the guy left him near the window while the auction was underway and now he is a bit yellowed on the gray parts. Major bummer dude.

Unfortunately the grey parts on THappy are
    A) connected via a number of pins, which will be hard to remove
    B) Have the bronze paint applications on the thrusters, which I doubt will fair well if I immerse the parts in H2O2.

So, has anyone got ideas? I think I remember reading that the guys who came up with this also tried making a paste form of H2O2. Has anyone tried this?
    Note that whitening of 1987 toys have not been successful. Please read my last post regarding Slugslinger before you proceed.

For some reason, 1987 toys react badly to the H2O2.

Just confirming rubsigns stop working once they have been in H202? Any one any ideas how to protect them?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Just confirming rubsigns stop working once they have been in H202? Any one any ideas how to protect them?
    Yes, rub signs are damaged by the H2O2. They remain indefinitely 'lit' after submersion.

Note that whitening of 1987 toys have not been successful. Please read my last post regarding Slugslinger before you proceed.

For some reason, 1987 toys react badly to the H2O2.
    I was assuming that the issues you mentioned were only encountered if the parts are submersed for a long time, because the examples you guys are using are really badly yellowed. Mine is just a bit yellowed, so I was hoping the issues you had with Slugslinger could be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post
    I was assuming that the issues you mentioned were only encountered if the parts are submersed for a long time, because the examples you guys are using are really badly yellowed. Mine is just a bit yellowed, so I was hoping the issues you had with Slugslinger could be avoided.
    No, the part was submerged for an appropriate amount of time. The day before there was still some yellowing on the plastic.

I had a 1987 Aimless targemaster for just a few days and he reacted badly to the H2O2 too.

1987 toys simply don't work well with H2O2 in liquid form, I have never tried the paste with them.

No, the part was submerged for an appropriate amount of time. The day before there was still some yellowing on the plastic.

I had a 1987 Aimless targemaster for just a few days and he reacted badly to the H2O2 too.

1987 toys simply don't work well with H2O2 in liquid form, I have never tried the paste with them.
    Ahh, scary. Cheers for the tip then. I may just leave him as he is for now.