Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers
    Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers 2010
    Headmasters
    Masterforce
    Victory
    Zone
    Return of Convoy
    Operation Combination

Watched any of the Japanese Transformers cartoons?
    If so, what did you think of it?

When did you first see it?

Is it recommended viewing for others?

If you haven't watched it yet, or in a while, now is the time to re-watch it and review it as you go.

Fantastic stuff.

Couple years back, when the Madman Boxset was released.

Highly, If you can happily read sups i would go that route.
    Or for a laugh watch the dubs :P
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

I really loved the Japanese cartoon, as it didn't have as much of a ridiculous feel as some of the earlier versions of the G1 cartoon(US cartoon).
    It had a slightly darker tone which I really liked.

I started watching a bit on youtube and DVDs and I am quite impressed. Especially liked the Scramble City bonus episode.

I would definitely recommend watching it or rewatching it if you have already, because it feels quite unique, special and quite a significant part of the Japanese transformers timeline, IMO.

For those interested in reading upon some reviews of Headmasters and Masterforce, check out this review topic.
    Not sure why I didn't post up the rest of Masterforce... I might have to rewatch them to post them up. I watched Victory soon after that, but wasn't impressed enough to comment about it at that time.

I got the Madmen box sets as they came out. I started watching Headmasters but got maybe 10 or 12 episodes in before I just took the DVD out and never went back. I think the problem with the series was that it was too close in appearance to the US series. The animation I think suffered by trying to emulate the US series, and having unfamiliar voices of familiar characters (in a foreign language) and music made it quite jarring to watch.

Masterforce on the other hand I loved and it's because the characters were all new (although Ginrai's transtector sure looked familiar), the animation was more anime and the story was a lot more solid and interesting. I liked that the series started being about Transformers pretending to be humans, and transitioned to being about humans who "became" Transformers. It's a very different take but I could see it being off putting to people who want to watch a show about Transformers not humans. Worked for me though and I would recommend giving it a go over the other three core series.

I watched the first episode of Victory and haven't gone back yet. I'll get to it, but the opening episode really didn't sell me on the series.

Headmasters put me to sleep and I'm not joking about that, I watched all of it but it was hard work to say the least. Masterforce on the other hand was thoroughly enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone that is a TF fan

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    Headmasters put me to sleep and I'm not joking about that, I watched all of it but it was hard work to say the least. Masterforce on the other hand was thoroughly enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone that is a TF fan
    Agreed, except when I was on screen

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Yes.
    + Headmasters: IMHO a lot better than The Rebirth (Yes, the Rebirth had potential and was good in concept, but poorly executed - JMO). Admittedly it is certainly the weakest of the JP G1 anime series.
    + Masterforce: love it. Great animation, good story with a unique premise (that admittedly can take a bit to get used to, but once you accept it the story is pretty good)
    + Victory: Also great, though Dino Force kinda bug me as a team of comic relief Decepticons (still, way better than Wheelie). Epic battles.

1991 -- saw Masterforce, albeit in those horrible StarTV dubs. *shudder*

Yarp!

Headmaster was bore-tastic. Such a rubbish show. The famous start dubs are the only way I could get through them.

luckily I found the other series much more engaging.

MOst of them I watched as they were coming out on DVD box set released from th UK.

Personally I'd recommend all of them after Headmasters. Masterforce was good as was Victory and as for Zone, well it was only 1 episode, so you're not really losing anything by watching it

The thing I really liked about Masterforce was that they justified the Pretenders rather well, especially the Decepticons which were the horrid beast of mythology. That really gave the monster modes of the deceps some grounding. After all, a giant reptile skin isn't a good disguise. Unless you're hanging out with Godzilla

There wasn't a cartoon for return of Convoy and Operation Combination was there?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yes.
    + Headmasters: IMHO a lot better than The Rebirth (Yes, the Rebirth had potential and was good in concept, but poorly executed - JMO).
    Your joking aren't you Headmasters was an Insomniacs dream, No way known you were going to stay awake through that I could at least stay awake for Rebirth