Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

You need not worry about that whitening in your skin kup. that is normal with H2O2. I was exposed to this fact when I was younger coz my mom used it like an antiseptic for cleaning my wounds. You know when your a kid you tend to bruise around a lot from being so darn hyper. So even though it stings a lot (on wounds) I got used to it. The formulation nowadays are quite lesser in concentration and also , around the time I was in HS the medical practitioners moved away from using H2O2 as a wound cleanser ( it shouldnt be used on open wounds) and advocated using Betadine instead which later got canned for op use only and use only Normal saline for open wounds.... now in my working years they've moved away from betadine ( still used in Operations though) and onto Chlorhexidine ( NOT for open wounds) as the antiseptic of choice.... okay back to the topic again....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Default C-326: Galaxy Shuttle whitening project

I spent almost 10 months looking for a Galaxy Shuttle for my wife. I finally found one, in solid C9.5 box, complete inserts and at a very good price, but, it was not exactly white. It was not yellowed, but then its not white either. It's slightly brownish, like the Japanese seller dropped it in mud and left it there for a few weeks kind of brown.

While I wanted to just get another Galaxy Shuttle (if I could find one), my wife was keen to work on the one we had, sort of like our little project. We spent awhile taking it apart and preparing to soak it in H2O2 (of course, I had lots of fun using my favourite Zippo lighter fluid to remove all the stickers first).

My wife was responsible for disassembling all the difficult parts like the pins that join the arms to the body and the pin that joined the cockpit with the body. I have no idea how she managed to remove those pins.

This is my wife's record of what goes where:

This is the soaking jar:

Photos on Left = parts before soaking.
    Photos on Right = parts after soaking for 3 days in 3% H2O2 under very mild sun; and 2 days in 3% H2O2 under intense sun (I placed the jar in my office which is next to Circular Quay and so there is strong sun for most part of the day).

Close up of roof. Can clearly see what the colour is originally supposed to be where the Autobot sticker shape is. As can be seen, the blue painted windows remained undamaged even after soaking.

Close up of the upper legs. The piece on the right has been soaked for a day at 3% H2O2.

Before - After

The final product after reapplying stickers:

CAUTION: The H2O2 damaged the black paint on the cockpit and turned some of it greyish. However, now after 3 weeks, the paint has turned black again!!! (that is unless dirge helped my paint it back while he was reviewing it).

That is awesome!

I didn't realize that your Galaxy Shuttle was once semi yellowed. It looked in pretty good condition when you showed it to me at the fan meet.

That is interesting what you say about the Galaxy Shuttle black reverting back to normal.

Wow!

I'm always impressed with seeing what you guys, and girls , manage to achieve with this H202 process as it really does seem to bring figures back to life.

I'm really interested to see the end results of what Kup is able to do with 1AZRAEL1's Slugslinger and Eruntalon with his Fort Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Wow!

I'm always impressed with seeing what you guys, and girls , manage to achieve with this H202 process as it really does seem to bring figures back to life.

I'm really interested to see the end results of what Kup is able to do with 1AZRAEL1's Slugslinger and Eruntalon with his Fort Max.
    Just don't ever use straight H202 with a high concentration like 35% as I have found out.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    However, now after 3 weeks, the paint has turned black again!!! (that is unless dirge helped my paint it back while he was reviewing it).
    No, but I'll take the credit anyway

Well done, HD & evil_autobot. Having seen this toy close up, it's as new!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    No, but I'll take the credit anyway

Well done, HD & evil_autobot. Having seen this toy close up, it's as new!
    you know what? I checked again this morning the the nosecone has turned also completely back to black from when it was 50% gray due to the H2O2. This is very strange indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    you know what? I checked again this morning the the nosecone has turned also completely back to black from when it was 50% gray due to the H2O2. This is very strange indeed.
    hmmm does that mean pretty soon the white will turn back to dirty brown again
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

My guess is that the paint absorbed the H2O2 under it's paint layer and as it evaporated slowly, it turned the paint back to black.

I saw Galaxy Shuttle in the flesh and had no idea it had been cleaned, it looked almost brand new.
    So HD you removed the stickers one by one and reapplied them as normal after cleaning? What kind of sorcery is this?