Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No opt-out of filtered internet

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Didn't the Fed Gov try to get an "adult content filter" for kids up & running last year or the year before?

Didn't some teenager crack it almost immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    Didn't the Fed Gov try to get an "adult content filter" for kids up & running last year or the year before?

Didn't some teenager crack it almost immediately?
    Haha yeah I remember something like that, pretty much as soon as it was out it was cracked...

Seriously though, it's a pretty stupid idea

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    This won't actually get up. Bob Carr suggested something similar in the 1990s and it just never happened. Sure, it's technically possible, but it'll be pointless. So they block a site on [say] how to build your own atomic bomb. The thing would just get mirrored. ASCII text is replaced by a GIF of the same text, so the 3 guys scouring the net for "bad" content will take months if not years to find it.

This is as much pie in the sky as the RIAA's attempts at stopping illegal downloading. Site will move and content will get around the system. And the idiots dumb enough to handle Plutonium in their backyard shed will develop acute radiation poisioning either way
    It still might get up and going though as the idiocity of our polititions knows no bounds.

But I'd fully expect full and brutal retaliation from corporations and business when it ends up totally stuffing up their network speeds and abilities to offer customers reliable web interfacing to their stores.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

This won't actually get up. Bob Carr suggested something similar in the 1990s and it just never happened. Sure, it's technically possible, but it'll be pointless. So they block a site on [say] how to build your own atomic bomb. The thing would just get mirrored. ASCII text is replaced by a GIF of the same text, so the 3 guys scouring the net for "bad" content will take months if not years to find it.

This is as much pie in the sky as the RIAA's attempts at stopping illegal downloading. Site will move and content will get around the system. And the idiots dumb enough to handle Plutonium in their backyard shed will develop acute radiation poisioning either way
    Agreed.

This stuff never stops the actual people that want to access the naughty stuff. The best they can implement is either HTTP proxies or some variety of unencrypted packet sniffing. This won't affect encrypted torrents, SSH tunnels, something like TOR, or anything else that's encrypted.

When i see crap like this, i'm reminded of the Jurassic Park quote: "life uh... finds a way". No matter what they do, there's always going to be more people, who are more dedicated, who can and will undo it. And it only ever takes one to figure it out, then anyone can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    It still might get up and going though as the idiocity of our polititions knows no bounds.
    I should clarify. I meant the idea won't actually get up in a practical sense. They may try and implement it, but it wont ultimately succeed.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I should clarify. I meant the idea won't actually get up in a practical sense. They may try and implement it, but it wont ultimately succeed.
    My sentiment exactly.

Urgh, I gigantic websense would be annoying