Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1-inspired Thunderwing custom

Default G1-inspired Thunderwing custom

Another WIP thread. It's an idea that's been done before, using a TLK Nitro body and the Thunderwing Titan Master from the Siege on Cybertron set, but unlike some others I've seen, I've gone with a very G1 inspired colour scheme.

And what a colour scheme it is! Thunderwing has off-white/light grey, blue, purple, orange, gold, silver, red, and 2 shades of green. As far as TFs go, he looks a bit like he survived an explosion on a Dulux factory.

So, to start with, I disassembled him, washed all the pieces. I stripped all the factory paint apps off him (sacrilege!) with isopropyl alcohol and plenty of elbow grease, which took a couple of hours.

A very naked Nitro:

With the Thunderwing head:

Then, the first layers of paint via the airbrush. In order, primer, then sanding, then gloss lacquer, then more sanding, then white lacquer, then another gloss layer, sanding a few pieces again, then a metallic silver lacquer, then an incredibly thin layer of light grey, so it retains the light grey colour but with a slight metallic silver sheen. Once the detail work is done, I'll add a protective gloss coat.

After the primer layer:

After the white layer:

Once the base coats had cured, I masked up several pieces and started adding colour.

Masked with Tamiya tape and a cheap Blutak-like product from office works (cheaper than Blutak):

Adding colour:

I used a new product I'd not used before - flexible masking tape. Results were good, clean lines and no paint lifting. The only downside is that the tension on the stretched bit of tape tends to move it if you leave it on too long, so it's best if you paint immediately after applying the tape.

Here's where I'm at now, partial reassembly to check for rub points and to hand-paint the detail work:

More pics of the finished product soon I hope.
    Last edited by M-bot; 15th February 2018 at 07:45 PM.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Man you are knocking it out of the park lately.

looking fantastic so far. I'm loving your attention to detail
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Looking good. I've used that flexible tape as well. Can't say I'm a fan as it's very finicky to use.

Default All done :)

After reassembly, some hand-painted details on the torso, a few touch ups and finished off with some Reprolabels faction symbols, here's the end result:

And some pics with Generations Thunderwing:

I also have an idea of giving him a special necklace with trophy heads (including the original Nitro head). When I have time.

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

very nice work, it's almost like this mould was made for Thunderwing and you've just brought it out nicely

stunning, looks great in both modes.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I LOVE your colour choices for this.

It's a brilliant concept that you've executed magnificently. The torso has so much going on visually and I actually think that your work is actually too good for the base figure.

/gush
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Who is it?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Who is it?

Can’t believe I fell for that twice in the space of about 20 seconds.