Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading/recommend a book

I've been feeling a bit classic-y lately.

Knocked Moby Dick; or the White whale, followed by Alice in Wonderland and am currently read the Odyssey.

Very interesting reading Moby Dick, as it was written in 1851 and the first four or five pages were a bit tough. I had to use my dictionary for some words! I was a bit shocked! And very pleased. It went into incredible detail about the life of a whaling boat in those times and I was most surprised at how little time they spent chasing Moby Dick. A good, if long.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the looking Glass weren't quite as dark as I expected. Still very trippy though. Felt like it wasn't so well spaced out as things seemed to rush into another. Or was that the author's intent?

Finally the Odyssey is so far interesting, recounting the attempts of Odyesseus to get back home after the battle of Troy. A lot of adventure is included through Odyesseus telling stories of how he got to his current situation. Recurrent themes with characters meeting, greeting and eating. Seems to happen lot.

An honourable mention that I read often is also Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. Interesting in the way it was written and for it's age. Again another book when it's very pop pop pop with little clue as to how long things take.

Since I'me here, I should recommend the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My all time Favourite and most read book(s). (at least once a year). Love it to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Since I'me here, I should recommend the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My all time Favourite and most read book(s). (at least once a year). Love it to bits.
    And this famous reference to Hitchhikers in Transformers Beast Wars.

I've been feeling a bit classic-y lately.

Knocked Moby Dick; or the White whale, followed by Alice in Wonderland and am currently read the Odyssey.

Very interesting reading Moby Dick, as it was written in 1851 and the first four or five pages were a bit tough. I had to use my dictionary for some words! I was a bit shocked! And very pleased. It went into incredible detail about the life of a whaling boat in those times and I was most surprised at how little time they spent chasing Moby Dick. A good, if long.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the looking Glass weren't quite as dark as I expected. Still very trippy though. Felt like it wasn't so well spaced out as things seemed to rush into another. Or was that the author's intent?

Finally the Odyssey is so far interesting, recounting the attempts of Odyesseus to get back home after the battle of Troy. A lot of adventure is included through Odyesseus telling stories of how he got to his current situation. Recurrent themes with characters meeting, greeting and eating. Seems to happen lot.

An honourable mention that I read often is also Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. Interesting in the way it was written and for it's age. Again another book when it's very pop pop pop with little clue as to how long things take.

I have Snugglepot and Cuddlepie somewhere from when I was a kid. Waiting until my son is a bit older then will start reading it to him.

Would you recommend Moby Dick for someone who does not have very much time to read?

I loved Hitchhikers Guide when I was in my 20's. I reread it for about the first time in a decade last year and while I still quite liked it, it didn't hold the same magic for me.

Currently working my way through The Complete Novels and Stories of Sherlock Holmes. Like Moby Dick it's interesting to read something written in the 1800's. After that I have lined up "The Presidents Desk" by Shawn Micallef and the John Cleese Autobiography "So, anyway..."

But considering I have about 10 minutes to read a day right now and a bub arriving in less than two weeks I may have to review them in a years time

So has anyone read the new Marvel Star Wars comic? Any good?

Since the little fella came along my reading has been limited to comics because that's all I get time for The amount of books that keep getting added to my 'to read' list is scary.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

My recommendation : Robin Hobb

Farseer Trilogy
    Liveship Trilogy
    Tawny Man Trilogy
    Dragonkeeper Quadrology? (Havent finished this because I keep going back to read the first and 3rd ones i just mentioned).
    New Fool's trilogy (forst book came out in september)

These series are all set in the same work, I love the writing style in the farseer, tawny man and fools trilogy, from one characters point of view. The liveship trilogy is great too, but jumps around to different characters (not a problem, just different style).

She also has another trilogy I've read a few times called the Soldier's Son trilogy, about a young cadet who gets caught up in shamanism.

Can't recommend her books enough, I'm always reading one, and met her at Supanova in brisbane and she's lovely :-)

I have read the Soldiers Son trilogy, I enjoyed it alot but found some parts hard to follow. I have been meaning to read more Robin Hobb novels.

I have been re-reading Joe Abercrombie novels, he is my favourite author by far. Anyone who jumped on the George RR Martin bandwagon, read Abercrombie. Martin was an influence of his but he writes in a more succinct style and I can't get enough of his work. Start with his first trilogy, the First Law, as characters will pop up in later novels.

Guilty pleasure reading, apart from comics, has been Brian Keene horror novels. I find his style so easy to read and fly through his books in a couple of days. He has a talent for making me feel squeemish and writeslikable characters you want to survive....though most of his stuff has a grim ending.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Would you recommend Moby Dick for someone who does not have very much time to read?
    Actually yeah. Many of the chapters are pretty small and the language can be pretty hard going sometimes. It took me ages to read it, as I was only reading a couple of pages a day most of the time.

Actually yeah. Many of the chapters are pretty small and the language can be pretty hard going sometimes. It took me ages to read it, as I was only reading a couple of pages a day most of the time.
    In my younger days when I read Bram Stoker's Dracula I had the same problem. Good story, hard reading. Took me about 3 months to read. And it's not a long book.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cool - if I ever get through my current backlog of books I'll definitely give it a go - thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    In my younger days when I read Bram Stoker's Dracula I had the same problem. Good story, hard reading. Took me about 3 months to read. And it's not a long book.
    I knocked it off pretty quick, but doing drama and philosophy at uni for three years meant I was reading a LOT of old texts so I found myself pretty familiar with the language from days of yore.

So it helped me understand writing from yesteryear - did those degree's help me find a job? Hells no!

I just finished reading for the 4th time "The Regulators" by Richard Bachman (Spoiler alert... Stephen Kings alias ) It's a sci-fi horror cross with plenty of pace to keep me wanting to turn the pages every time I read it.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503