Thread: Question on warranties

Default Question on warranties

Well my missus knocked her all in one computer off her table and cracked the screen. Everything still works, just the screen is cracked. Much like an iphone. We called Dick Smith and they told us the screen is not covered under warranty.

Does anyone know if that is true?

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Well my missus knocked her all in one computer off her table and cracked the screen. Everything still works, just the screen is cracked. Much like an iphone. We called Dick Smith and they told us the screen is not covered under warranty.

Unless they explicitly state in the Warranty agreement that they will replace/fix your screen if you drop your computer then yes, this is true. Generally warranty will only cover defects like dead pixels, flickering and whatnot. Not damage that has been caused after purchase.

Why do you think so many people walk around with cracked iPhone screens?

Warranty does not cover user damage. Same as if I buy a car and crash it, it's my fault, not Holden's (well, unless there's an issue with the brakes...).

You get my point. Sorry mate - try calling computer repair places - most common laptop screens are pretty easy to get replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post

Yep as mentioned by others a standard warranty does not cover accidental damage.

It might be worth seeing if it can be covered under you contents insurance or if you purchased it with a credit card I believe some banks will cover purchases for accidental damage.

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    You get my point. Sorry mate - try calling computer repair places - most common laptop screens are pretty easy to get replaced.
    ^This^ - A decent & reputable repairer should have it done before the weekend at the latest, should be done within a day (Depending on parts ordering times obviously).

Most warranties won't cover damage caused by negligence. Working in the mobile phone industry, you see people trying anything to get a free early upgrade e.g. the ol' phone in the toilet trick or connecting it up to a car battery and frying it.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Most warranties won't cover damage caused by negligence. Working in the mobile phone industry, you see people trying anything to get a free early upgrade e.g. the ol' phone in the toilet trick or connecting it up to a car battery and frying it.
    I used to work at JB Hi-Fi, and the shit we would see some customers pull...

Ah, the days of retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    ^This^ - A decent & reputable repairer should have it done before the weekend at the latest, should be done within a day (Depending on parts ordering times obviously).
    And be sure to pop into a few places and compare their warranties on the work performed etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    And be sure to pop into a few places and compare their warranties on the work performed etc
    Very sage advice indeed.