Thread: Old games on new systems

Default Old games on new systems

Hi Everybody!!

I'm thinking about getting myself a new Nintendo 2DS-XL. It's only really to play Metroid on though so I'm struggling a bit in justifying the expense. I have an original Gameboy but sadly it's got several failed pixel columns and is very hard to use.

it occurred to me that I might be able to download and play older games on it. Looking at the Nintendo America site it looks like I can download games as old as Metroid 2 and play them on current systems. I then change region to Australia and can't seem to see the same thing, the search function disappears when I click it (possibly a function of using Explorer at work).

Does anyone have any experience with this? If I can get the older Metroid games (and other games that I have on my original Gameboy) and play them on the new DDS, I'll be very excited.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

As far as I know (and as far as some googling has found) the estore is tied to the consoles region.
    The only way to download US estore games is with a US 2/3DS, if you get an AU/EU 2/3DS you will only be able to download games from the AU and EU estores.
    So if you intend on getting a PAL region console dont even bother looking at what's on the US estore

As for what games are available to AU/EU consoles, I found this list on wikipedia that claims to be all the games PAL region 2/3DS consoles have available, hope it helps.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...DS_(PAL_region)
    I checked and it looks like Metroid (NES), Metroid 2 (GB), and Super Metroid (SNES) are available.

Hyren is correct, the 2/3DS range is region locked so each restore and console are only useable with one another.

The virtual console games range from about $5-$16 if memory serves and Metroid is well represented as is Kirby, donkey kong country etc. even Pokémon red/blue/yellow and silver/gold/(soon)crystal are on there too.

Only problem is that if you download virtual console games on one system and then get a new system you have to re buy the games all over again. Nintendo have been mooting the end of this archaic system for ears but are yet to deliver.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Yeah the 3DS is tied down to region and Nintendo doesn't release the same games in every region. If you are after Metroid 2 in particular the newly released Metroid Samus Returns is a remaster of Metroid 2 for the 3DS.

thanks guys, can I search the AU Nintendo estore from my computer or do I need to do it from the DS (which I don't have yet)?

I click on the search icon at the top of the screen (using IE) and it just disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Only problem is that if you download virtual console games on one system and then get a new system you have to re buy the games all over again
    If you do a system transfer from your old console to the new one it moves your eshop cash and all purchases to the new console.
    Not useful if you want to use both the old and new console but if you're upgrading and only intend to use the new one then no need to rebuy anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    thanks guys, can I search the AU Nintendo estore from my computer or do I need to do it from the DS (which I don't have yet)?
    You'll have to do all your estore browsing from within the console itself, very little is listed at http://www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo-eshop
    This quote is from Nintendo AU "Visit the eShop on your Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS to see the full selection of games available".
    Best bet is checking the wikipedia entry, or this other fan wiki I found also has some lists (just check to see if it says PAL next to the games name, if it does it's likely available in Aus) http://nintendo3ds.wikia.com/wiki/Li...do_eShop_games

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Best bet is checking the wikipedia entry, or this other fan wiki I found also has some lists (just check to see if it says PAL next to the games name, if it does it's likely available in Aus) http://nintendo3ds.wikia.com/wiki/Li...do_eShop_games
    I wouldn't rely on any list of games on Wikipedia. I'm finding an increasing number of them are out of date as the people updating them seem to have given up.

Giantbomb.com is kept mostly up to date thanks to staff and community efforts combined. I rarely end up on wikia for some reason so can't speak to anything there.

What about new games on old systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughmans Lunch View Post
    What about new games on old systems?
    I would suggest that the old systems don't meet the necessary specifications to run newer games. Down sampling graphics and processor/ram requirements would cost a lot more tan porting an older game to run in a higher resolution.