View Poll Results: Is this PotP Cindersaur worth getting?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this toy is life-changing!

4 40.00%
  • Only if cheap

4 40.00%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • No

1 10.00%
  • I pity the fool who buys this!

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - PotP Legends Cindersaur

FatalityPitt Guest

Default Toy Review - PotP Legends Cindersaur

Cindersaur
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Power of the Primes
    Size/class - Legends
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Dinobot Slash
    Wave - 3
    Released here - July/August 2018
    Approximate Retail Price - (probably about AU$20) US$10
    Approximate Size - 10cm?
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - (Raptor) Dinosaur
    Main Features/Gimmicks - none
    Main Colours - Yellow and Purple
    Main Accessories - none

FatalityPitt Guest

So yeah, I spotted Cindersaur at my local Kmart today (for $15) and decided to take the plunge.

It’s the same toy as Slash but with a different head and colours.

The robot head looks more effeminate than I imagined, with the big eyes, small nose, and curved lips. I have no qualms about referring to Cindersaur as a female, and I think it’s nice because we’ve been seeing quite a few female Autobots in Generations lately, but hardly any female Decepticons (if any).

This mould is nothing like the G1 Firecon. Seems more like an homage to that character than an update. There are some weird choices in the colouring and paint. The shoulders pieces look like clear plastic parts that had been painted purple, and I’m not sure what sort of effect they were trying to achieve with that (why not make those pieces out of purple plastic?).

Like Slash, it’s a very small Legends figure, and I’m glad to have paid $15 instead of $20. For me, the selling point of this figure was that it’s different – an effeminate-looking Decepticon with a dinosaur mode (and a seat for Primemasters to sit in!).

It’s not an essential toy to have (not worth paying $20+), but I think it’s good if you want more diversity in your collection.

FatalityPitt Guest

Ah! Snap! I forgot about the poll. Anyone know how I might be able to add that in without deleting the thread. It's my first time kicking off one of these reviews. Sorry.

EDIT: Don't worry, I've figured it out
    Last edited by FatalityPitt; 12th August 2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: See comment

I wouldn't say it's life changing. But I voted yes as it's probably the best Cindersaur toy we'll ever get. I don't love the mould but it's quite serviceable.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    The robot head looks more effeminate than I imagined, with the big eyes, small nose, and curved lips. I have no qualms about referring to Cindersaur as a female, and I think it’s nice because we’ve been seeing quite a few female Autobots in Generations lately, but hardly any female Decepticons (if any).

This mould is nothing like the G1 Firecon. Seems more like an homage to that character than an update. There are some weird choices in the colouring and paint. The shoulders pieces look like clear plastic parts that had been painted purple, and I’m not sure what sort of effect they were trying to achieve with that (why not make those pieces out of purple plastic?).
    Good review mate

Yeah, completely agree - far more an homage than an update. With a different alt-mode and gender it's certainly not that indicative of the G1 character, except for the purple paintjob and the name of course.

Plus with the gender change I don't think you can really describe it as the same character. I have zero problems with gender changes in Transformers when it is a different universe (Animated Red Alert, Timelines Drag Strip etc) but if it's meant to be the G1/Generations universe then it's a bit odd. Unless Jhaxius got hold of them of course

I was going to grab this figure but now I'm wondering if I will bother. Maybe if I see it on sale. Feels like they were simply trying to get another use out of the Slash mold and Cindersaur was the only Con character they could think of. If it had been a completely new Female Con character I'd probably be searching the shops right now

I reckon the Beast Hunters version of Cindersaur did a better job of recreating the character than this toy has.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    This mould is nothing like the G1 Firecon.
    I see that more as a pro than a con. The G1 Firecons are terrible toys and Cindersaur was the worst of that poor lot.

And this homage is WAY closer to looking like Cindersaur than the BotCon figure.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Good review mate

Yeah, completely agree - far more an homage than an update. With a different alt-mode and gender it's certainly not that indicative of the G1 character, except for the purple paintjob and the name of course.

Plus with the gender change I don't think you can really describe it as the same character. I have zero problems with gender changes in Transformers when it is a different universe (Animated Red Alert, Timelines Drag Strip etc) but if it's meant to be the G1/Generations universe then it's a bit odd. Unless Jhaxius got hold of them of course

I was going to grab this figure but now I'm wondering if I will bother. Maybe if I see it on sale. Feels like they were simply trying to get another use out of the Slash mold and Cindersaur was the only Con character they could think of. If it had been a completely new Female Con character I'd probably be searching the shops right now

I reckon the Beast Hunters version of Cindersaur did a better job of recreating the character than this toy has.
    Thanks, I just wanted to share some thoughts, because to me some of the details around this figure are somewhat strange/interesting.

It's weird because within the same lore/continuity surrounding these toys, this character is addressed and both male and female (see his/her Alpha Trion and Micronus cards). I've just thrown my hands up in the air and decided it should be at the discretion of the customer, so I picked female. It's ok if other people prefer to think of this as male.

I think at the end of the day, this is just a Decepticon version of Slash with Cindersaur's name and colours. That's all it has in common with the G1 Firecon. The packaging bio reads "Likes to roast Autobots and guzzle lava", which is quite vague and can be used to describe any Decepticon with a dragon mode. The description on the Hasbro website even refers to him/her/it as a Terrorcon (really).

As to whether to pick it up or not; I'd say eye-ball it at the store if you get a chance and decide from there, but if you already have Slash; you wouldn't be missing out on much by skipping this toy.

EDIT: I just looked up the original toy's tech spec bio. Huh, so the PotP packaging bio is consistent with the G1 toy's bio ("Hobbies include barbequeing Autobots and drinking lava...")... My bad! I should have done my research beforehand. So, this is suppose to represent G1 Cindersaur... huh...

(it's just a toy, not worth over-analysing)
    Last edited by FatalityPitt; 13th August 2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: See comment

That's kinda cool as it makes Cindersaur the first (or one of the first) gender fluid Transformers. Yeah, I know that it makes no sense from a scifi POV for genderless robots - but none of the gender stuff does. But for gender-fluid fans out there this would be something that might resonate with them.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That's kinda cool as it makes Cindersaur the first (or one of the first) gender fluid Transformers. Yeah, I know that it makes no sense from a scifi POV for genderless robots - but none of the gender stuff does. But for gender-fluid fans out there this would be something that might resonate with them.
    Putting the Trans in Transformers

Gender-fluid's not the same as transgender.

Back on topic, here are some comparison pics...