View Poll Results: What gender is (are) your child(ren)?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boy(s)

15 40.54%
  • Girl(s)

6 16.22%
  • Both (even)

10 27.03%
  • More boys

3 8.11%
  • More girls

3 8.11%
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I know where you are coming there TB
    Yeah, it's not a nice thing, but how it is sometimes.

My dad an I had an argument today, it was over something stupid. He told my brother to mow the lawn. My brother said no, so, my dad, told me to do it.

I'd have no problems with this, except that he did nothing to my brother for saying no the way he did.

I remember when I was about 13. My mate and I, we were bored
    We bust out the Nintendo 64, Tom(my mate) had found his Rumble Pack, we used some battery's from a remote. We had gone back to Tom's house. Dad rings up screaming about the battery's and grounds me for a month, for taking battery's. I asked mum first.

My brother speaks to him like he's a joke. Nothing happens to him, and i get told to do his job, I take battery's, get grounded for a month.
    Any one see any sense in that at all?

Quote Originally Posted by turtle boy View Post
    Any one see any sense in that at all?
    I'm sure Gok has read a book or a theory about it

North Melbourne-bot...?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    I'm sure Gok has read a book or a theory about it
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    If there's one thing i've learnt about raising kids, what works for one parent doesn't work for another. Some methods may work perfectly for some, and only help out a little for another. Kids, are bloody unique and very much have their own minds.

Just because they're young without any degrees or certificates, does NOT make them idiots. Talking to them, not in an adult way, but not belittling them either, goes a long way.

That, and you really shouldn't spoil them ... well not too much anyway.

Tough love also doesn't hurt either. Send 'em to the naughty corner, take their favourite toy off them, whatever gets the message through that they've done something wrong, but take whatever moment you can get to remind 'em how much you love 'em.

Couldnt agree more!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Collecting transformers- a good way to get poor
    Transformer count= too many

Currently in search of:
    G1 goodness

See this has been a very interesting read for me because unlike many of you, I'm actually the child of the relationship, seeings as I'm only 19 and live at home (Ah, the joys of the uni lifestyle).

That aside, a lot of what everyone says in this thread is totally true, because there is no proper way to raise a child as each child is such a unique little being. I know for a fact that my mother used a totally different style to raise me in comparison to my siblings, as each one is just so different. Similar traits, but just different ways to manage each one.

That and I do Psychology at uni and this stuff is very fascinating.

I'd like to remind some folks here about the original intention of this thread being: "This thread is for the discussion of parenting; to pool together the collective knowledge and experience of members who are already parents and perhaps assist those of us who are aspiring to become parents in the future." - let's try to keep things on topic.

Also, as I've already stated before, I'm not a parent nor am I any kind of expert on parenting. I'm not trying to present myself as anything of the sort. In fact, I made this thread so that I could learn more about parenting from members here who are already parents. Now of course I have several ideas and theories (re: dreams) about parenting... but these are just my personal opinions - I am not trying to present myself as some kind of expert on the matter.

I do have some expertise and experience when it comes to the behaviour management of adolescents because it's part of my job. It's something that I studied at a post-graduate level and continue to study in my line of work. I also use these theories in practice. Having said that, I fully understand that while there are some similarities between teaching and parenting (parents are a child's first teachers and teachers sometimes act as surrogate parents), there are also many differences too. Please don't think that I'm trying to naively suggest that everything that works in teaching must work in parenting and vice versa - I know that this isn't true. I think that there are some things that are the same, but there are also numerous things which are not. So I'd like to point out that I'm not here to 'preach' parenting to anyone - I'm actually here to learn from those of you who are already parents.

Time will tell me how much of my current personal theories/ideas about parenting will prove to be applicable or not in the future. I'm more than willing to change and adapt my outlook on parenting as experience teaches me. For example, when I was a university student I had several theories and ideas about teaching. Some of which I now agree with, but others (including one which my post-graduate paper* was based upon!) I now disagree with.

As others have said, different things work for different parents and children. As I said before, what matters is the results - if you think that your parenting practice works, then keep at it. It's utterly useless for me or anyone else to prescribe a course of action if it doesn't work for you! And most parents are doing the best they can and have only the best of intentions in their hearts.

So let's now get back on topic and continue discussing parenting. I like to hear people's different views etc. of parenting.

--------------------
    *This paper garnered a high distinction and attracted the attention of the university's school of education to the point that they offered me a position to write an Honours thesis. My professor was very impressed with my writings and I must admit that I was quite proud of what I'd achieved - but since I've begun teaching I've come to completely disagree with what I wrote!

Its ok Gok we know what your getting at.

Im sure youll get some great ideas on this topic on here!

Currently in search of:
    G1 goodness

My littlest is not quite two and he is saying Tansforma! Ahh looks like another fan in the family. The joys of parenting...

Currently in search of:
    G1 goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Sigma 13 View Post
    My littlest is not quite two and he is saying Tansforma! Ahh looks like another fan in the family. The joys of parenting...
    let the brainwashing begin muawahahahahahaha

when did this thread start...i'm not sure if i should take advice from people who buys kids toys

but seriously we fond the babywise method worked well for our kids and considering my oldest is mildly autistic, its been a blessing as routine works well for him..dont believe everything you hear about babywise.