Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: discovery of new Diaclone - black Countach LP500S (aka Sideswipe)

Default discovery of new Diaclone - black Countach LP500S (aka Sideswipe)

Thought you guys might be interested to know.

Something I was investigating with the TF-1 guys on for a month and a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    In this day and age of vintage Transformers and Diaclone collecting, an age where websites, forums, Facebook, blogs, publications and a strong knowledgeable community have helped expose almost every secret of those venerable toy lines, we don't expect to see anything completely new any more. Maybe the odd Finnish Diaclone packaging variant, a foreign Ceji Joustra release of a favourite with exclusive box artwork or even an Italian GiG pre-Transformer with a mish-mash of Diaclone and Transformers colours or moulding that finally gets confirmed. But to find something completely unheard of and new that nobody knew existed, something that has never been seen by the wider collecting community in approximately 30 years, that is impossible to imagine nowadays, right?

Wrong.

TF-1 - Diaclone Black New Countach LP500S (Sideswipe) <- CLICK TO READ

My deepest thanks go to my partners in crime Brandon "Heroic Decepticon" Yap, Gordon "VF1" Yip, Colin "Specimen-17" Pringle for what was one of the most exciting and enjoyable things that I have ever been a part of in this hobby.

You can read Heroic Decepticon's entry on this same item and its discovery HERE for more backstory on the source and "Project Vanguard".

All the best
    Maz
    Article from my blog on different aspects of the piece.

It's being discussed on TFW too.

Amazing, HD. At first I thought, 'crap, someone's ripped you off' so I'm ecstatic to be convinced that it's genuine. Of course, if anyone on the planet was going to find a unique Diaclone three decades later I'd expect it to be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Amazing, HD. At first I thought, 'crap, someone's ripped you off' so I'm ecstatic to be convinced that it's genuine. Of course, if anyone on the planet was going to find a unique Diaclone three decades later I'd expect it to be you.
    Thanks Jordan!
    "crap, I got ripped off" was exactly what I thought when I reached the airport after purchasing this piece...so you're not far from the mark. Good that it's resolved quite unequivocally.

Ooh!
    I look forward to reading this when I get back from the Parra Fair HD!

Thats crazy for it not to have turned up before! It doesn't appear on any diaclone catalogues or advertising at all? A truly great find HD - maz has done an excellent job on documenting the reasearch as well. I bet you have had offers for it already!

Thanks for sharing this gripping story, heroic decepticon - it must have been like discovering life on Mars for you I enjoyed the Black Tracks backstory as well.

Also, poor Maz:

Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    I’ve always said nobody really reads my articles!

sooooo awesome, loved all the comparison pics too.
    thanks.

Black Diaclone New Countach LP500S has also been documented on Diaclone.net here - although Diaclone.net says that it came with the Powered Convoy (Ultra Magnus) Deluxe Set.

This would have also been the rationale behind e-Hobby Deep Cover; i.e. a reissue of black Diaclone New Countach LP500S but with a new concept/identity to include it into the Transformers universe (as often happens with Diaclone & Microman toys reissued through eHobby).

That was an amazing read. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Black Diaclone New Countach LP500S has also been documented on Diaclone.net here - although Diaclone.net says that it came with the Powered Convoy (Ultra Magnus) Deluxe Set.

This would have also been the rationale behind e-Hobby Deep Cover; i.e. a reissue of black Diaclone New Countach LP500S but with a new concept/identity to include it into the Transformers universe (as often happens with Diaclone & Microman toys reissued through eHobby).
    Heroic Decepticon's toy has not got the blue parts of Deep Cover. And it has neither the stickers nor the blue launcher as you could see by observing the picture above. Similarly it does not have the red bits or stickers from G2 Sideswipe. This is something different, which is why it is newsworthy.
    Last edited by Sky Shadow; 19th August 2012 at 09:08 PM.