View Poll Results: Which Optimus Prime Should I Get Signed?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vintage G1 MIB

18 62.07%
  • 20th Anniversary MP

6 20.69%
  • 25th Anniversary TFU Re-Issue

2 6.90%
  • You're nuts! Don't get any of those signed.

3 10.34%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Optimus Prime Memorabilia would you get signed?

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Could you please confirm for me that the re-mastered DVD is free of those annoying added sound effects from the original DVDs taken from Kid Rhino?
    Not sure what you mean. Which sound effects you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Which sound effects you referring to?
    Compare:
    Original opening
    Kid Rhino opening

And from TFwiki:
    In 2002 Rhino remastered the Generation 1 cartoon series for release on DVD, to subsequent controversy. As the original broadcast masters (the tapes used for broadcast) had degraded to an unacceptable level of visual quality over the years, Rhino opted to use pre-broadcast masters that had far superior clarity and picture quality. Unfortunately, as these pre-broadcast tapes used unfinished animation, the episodes included on Rhino's DVDs suffered from animation errors, missing special effects and colouring mistakes that did not occur in the original 1980s broadcasts.
    Additionally, Rhino contracted post-production studio Magno Sound & Video to remaster the monaural soundtrack to a 5.1 surround soundtrack worthy of a DVD release. Unfortunately, Magno's engineers added in some 30 tracks of new sound effects to this new soundtrack, and once again Rhino's DVDs introduced new elements that were largely seen as undesirable. Rhino representatives rather disingenuously attempted to claim that these sound effects were there all along and that fans had simply been unable to hear them before, despite evidence to the contrary.
    The new sounds include abnormally loud and glossy stock sound effects for lasers, explosions, and swooping jets layered across numerous scenes. The show's commercial bumpers were also altered, with motor, laser, and transforming sound effects added where there had originally been only music and Victor Caroli's voice.

The added sounds are just downright annoying!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

[QUOTE=DELTAprime;441830]I was thinking WTF when I heard that, but there are some strange toy collectors out there. I always thought signatures increased the items value till I saw that episode.[/

Totally dislike such people and I believe is the other way round of more people who appreciate his signature.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Compare:
    Original opening
    Kid Rhino opening

And from TFwiki:
    In 2002 Rhino remastered the Generation 1 cartoon series for release on DVD, to subsequent controversy. As the original broadcast masters (the tapes used for broadcast) had degraded to an unacceptable level of visual quality over the years, Rhino opted to use pre-broadcast masters that had far superior clarity and picture quality. Unfortunately, as these pre-broadcast tapes used unfinished animation, the episodes included on Rhino's DVDs suffered from animation errors, missing special effects and colouring mistakes that did not occur in the original 1980s broadcasts.
    Additionally, Rhino contracted post-production studio Magno Sound & Video to remaster the monaural soundtrack to a 5.1 surround soundtrack worthy of a DVD release. Unfortunately, Magno's engineers added in some 30 tracks of new sound effects to this new soundtrack, and once again Rhino's DVDs introduced new elements that were largely seen as undesirable. Rhino representatives rather disingenuously attempted to claim that these sound effects were there all along and that fans had simply been unable to hear them before, despite evidence to the contrary.
    The new sounds include abnormally loud and glossy stock sound effects for lasers, explosions, and swooping jets layered across numerous scenes. The show's commercial bumpers were also altered, with motor, laser, and transforming sound effects added where there had originally been only music and Victor Caroli's voice.

The added sounds are just downright annoying!
    The first Madman release was Kid Rhino's audio on top of a transfer from some broadcast tapes. The current Madman release and Shout Factory's equivalent are a 2.0 soundtrack (not sure of the source) that is faithful to the original (no machine gunning Seekers, yay), but the video is a mishmash (mostly in season one) of Kid Rhino's video and the broadcast tapes from Madman's first release. I'd hardly call the season one video remastered, more like re-edited. But yes the audio is fixed.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I'd get my 25th anniversary reissue signed because it is still MISB and could get the box signed, I dont own a MIB original one. Of course my 20th Anniversary one is MISB too so I could get that done but not as much signage space. I'd probably get one of my dozen or so different Prime t-shirts signed as well.

Wow...thanks heaps for the overwhelming responses to this subject everyone

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'd get him to sign a nice photo instead. I wouldn't allow a MIB vintage to be defaced (unless I bought it like that originally). You can probably guess which option I voted
    Thanks for your opinion, there are plenty of fans out there that feel the same as you and that's cool. I personally don't see it as defacing the toy if it is done well (which is why I wanted input from other fans)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'm not usually one to sign stuff, unless I can make it unique.

You could get him to sign the 20th anniversary prime, cross out the 2 and put a 3 next to it. and when he signs it, get him to date his signature as well. that makes it a clear 30th anniversary signature.

or take the G1, which is awesome btw, and sign and date that with some reference to 30 years later.
    Lols on the crossing out the 2 but I see where you're going with that Your second comment is worth considering thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    The Vintage across the top right of the flap in a nice silver ink would look great.

i am going to get my TF Movie poster signed

Adding to the list of:

Shia
    Megan Fox
    Joshhttp://www.otca.com.au/boards/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Julie White (not pictured as i havent updated my photo)

i am hoping i can get him to sign his "Peter Cullen Optimus Prime"

(I Should mention i am not Physically attending myself but have organised with a good friend to get it signed on my behlaf)
    What a great piece of memorabillia you have there I like your idea about the top flap. Thanks Sharky

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    OK I would get the G1 Prime signed. But I'd keep in mind something I saw on Toy Hunter. Apparently there are a large number of toy collectors that see signatures on toy boxes as vandalism and it lowers the value of the item.
    Ha! that's their opinion. As I'm never likely to sell these figures the monetary value of the toy is irrelevant to me. Having Peter Cullen's signature on one of my Optimus Prime toys would increase it's sentimental value to me infinitely!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Also take an Eeyore to get a signature on.
    At $50 per signature, I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    Just remember to get a picture with him and the figure signed so that your proof.... better than a certificate of authenticity i reckon ....
    Also it a moment you can remember and treasure ....the time when you wait hours in a line..
    Was planning on it buddy. I'll get him to sign the chosen Op Prime toy then get a nice snap of the three of us

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Of the three, I voted for the 20th Anniversary MP - most interesting box.

Would you consider getting a DVD or a Blu-ray signed?
    Good idea but na. My dvd's sit stacked in a shelf where you can only see the spine. My Optimus primes toys however are on display to see. I'd want to look at that signature on a regular basis

Thanks for that info, DELTAprime. I'm thinking about getting a copy of the remastered G1 Season 1 DVD to get Cullen to sign, since he is the voice actor for G1 Optimus Prime and Ironhide (hey, Ironhide needs love too!), so it makes sense to me to get Cullen to autograph something that he was directly involved with -- i.e. the G1 cartoon.

Also, I can't personally make it to the cons, but a lovely friend of mine has generously offered to help me -- so a DVD is something that can be more easily carried and later posted to me. I might consider getting something larger like a toy signed if I were personally attending the con to meet him. I'd definitely pay to have a photo taken with him while holding a toy -- maybe MP1 Convoy.

I really hope that Cullen comes to Sydney SupaNova in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    Lols on the crossing out the 2 but I see where you're going with that Your second comment is worth considering thanks
    It's the sort of thing I do, I guess.

Dan Shea was out here at a Stargate convention, he's the stunt co-ordinator for Stargate SG-1, he was Richard Dean Andersons Stunt Double and he also played a bit part as Sergeant Siler in 47 episodes.

One of the elements of his bit part was that he and one of the directors Peter DeLuise would stand in the background of a passing shot on the base having a discussion and one of them would be holding a massive (like over a meter long "wrench"), it was mentioned in the behind the scenes on an early season dvd. it's a bit of a game to see how many times you can pick them out.

anyway, I purchased a reasonable sized shifting spanner and took that for him to sign. he enjoyed it, he has actually signed spanners in the past.

If Peter Cullen was going to be in Sydney I'd consider taking either my MIB MP-04 or maybe my original prime trailer (with a broken back door hinge and flat tyres) for him to sign.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

May I suggest NOT to give fake items for Peter Cullen to sign.
    IMO very distasteful and very disrespectful to him regardless how harmless you all may think it is. While I don't expect people to understand but those who do, good on ya.

Ideally I would ask him to sign a G1 cell - obviously with Optimus on it. I couldn't do a G1 toy, it really does deface the box.

Whatever chosen if done properly it should increase the value, one exception - direct on a G1 box will reduce the value if anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    May I suggest NOT to give fake items for Peter Cullen to sign.
    IMO very distasteful and very disrespectful to him regardless how harmless you all may think it is. While I don't expect people to understand but those who do, good on ya.
    For sure, might as well just get him to sign a Rodimus prime toy! Plus how would he feel? I'm sure he's signed enough to know about KO's.