Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Govt will block overseas site not collecting gst

Problem is politicians listen to that old dinosaur

Lobbying should be illegal. It is basically legal bribery, why would the wealthy or corporations dictate national law and policy? To me is a huge conflict of interest and creates the horrid climate we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Lobbying should be illegal. It is basically legal bribery, why would the wealthy or corporations dictate national law and policy? To me is a huge conflict of interest and creates the horrid climate we are in.
    There are not for profit lobbyists too.

Instead having a sook about it, write to your local federal parliament members and hound them for 12 months.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    There are not for profit lobbyists too.
    ACOSS (Australian Council of Social Services). Cassandra Goldie (CEO of ACOSS) is someone I truly admire.

Sorry, back to the topic ...

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I like the sound of the title but it won't let me see the article.
    Shoppers will get a 12-month reprieve from having to pay the GST on goods worth less than $1000 ordered from overseas as the Productivity Commission studies the best method for collecting the tax.

The Senate on Monday agreed to amend the Treasury Laws Amendment (GST Low Value Gods) Bill to delay its start date until July 1, 2018.

Until then, imports worth less than $1000 will not attract the 10 per cent GST, which will anger local retailers but please giants such as eBay, Alibaba and Etsy.

The amended bill still needs to be approved by the House of Representatives but both Labor and Liberal sources said that was highly likely in coming days.

"eBay welcomes the review by the Productivity Commission and looks forward to working with government and the industry on methods of implementation that drive revenue, help level the playing field for Australian businesses and maintain choice for shoppers," a company spokesman said.

The absence of GST on "low-value" goods imported into Australia been a long-running bugbear of local retailers.

Harvey Norman boss Gerry Harvey has been a vocal critic, claiming bricks-and-mortar stores are at a disadvantage.

Their woes are set to deepen as Amazon prepares to enter the Australian market.

But the government has also come under pressure from companies that will be affected by the new GST rules.

eBay, Alibaba, Etsy and Amazon have threatened to geoblock Australian customers.

"Regrettably, the government's legislation may force eBay to prevent Australians from buying from foreign sellers," eBay Australia and New Zealand vice-president Jooman Park wrote in the submission to a parliamentary inquiry into the proposed law.

"No tax would be paid to Australia and none would be owed. It would raise no revenue, deny Australians access to choice and lessen price competition."

The bill passed the Senate with 32 votes in favour and 16 against. A Greens amendment to exempt tampons from GST failed.

A Labor amendment delays commencement until 1 July 2018.

It also requires the PC to investigate different models for collecting the GST and how they affect small businesses in particular.

A report is due by the end of October.

Under the changes, online marketplaces and parcel forwarding services will be treated as the supplier and therefore liable for collecting GST.

"Electronic distribution platforms ebay, Alibaba and Etsy expressed disquiet that they will be liable for GST on goods which they have never owned, held, tracked or traded," the Senate Economics Legislation Committee said in a report following its inquiry.

"They liken it to a landlord or a shopping centre being liable for GST on goods sold by tenants. They believe that the system will be complex and costly to administer, and the costs will be passed on to consumers."

The new rules, which were due to generate an extra $300 million in revenue over four years, apply only to delivery of goods to consumers. Supplies to businesses are unaffected.

The change was announced in the 2016 budget, along with another "integrity" measure to collect GST on cross-border supplies of digital products and services.

This was dubbed the Netflix tax and has already cleared federal parliament. It will take effect from July 1 of this year.

Thanks for that, like I said, it's what I was hoping, that the incoming tax, which I totally disagree with will be postponed until next year. it gives us (the Australian community) time to push for it to not be applied.

Like a lot of people here, most of the stuff I import isn't available in stores in Australia. plain and simple. And a 10% tax, while significant has nowhere near the effect on my online spending compared to the 30% drop in the value of the dollar that we've experienced in the last couple years.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Hmmm supplies to business are unaffected... perhaps I will just order everything through a company and reimburse it

Cock it. Looks like I'll be paying the extra 10% & I won't be going to HN either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Cock it. Looks like I'll be paying the extra 10% & I won't be going to HN either.
    Jezza's just the face of it, there are other retailers backing this don't forget to boycott them too!

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Jezza's just the face of it, there are other retailers backing this don't forget to boycott them too!
    True but I don't really know who the others are and given that old man Gerry is the face of it, well no business for them from me or my company.