Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic GIJoe Cartoon DVD set now out.

Default Classic GIJoe Cartoon DVD set now out.

I think Soundwarp was obsessively looking for GIJoe DVDs some time ago, but couldn't find any... But I saw today in 2 stores (JB and Kmart), a DVD boxset containing 11 hours of the 80s GIJoe cartoon. That would equate to about 33 episodes - is that all that was produced? Because there didn't seem to be anything on the packaging to suggest it was Volume 1, or that it was the complete series.
    It is priced at $42 at Kmart, so should be about that elsewhere.
    Also note that it is listed as a limited release, so get it quick in case stores have already got all the stock that is available.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I think Soundwarp was obsessively looking for GIJoe DVDs some time ago, but couldn't find any... But I saw today in 2 stores (JB and Kmart), a DVD boxset containing 11 hours of the 80s GIJoe cartoon. That would equate to about 33 episodes - is that all that was produced? Because there didn't seem to be anything on the packaging to suggest it was Volume 1, or that it was the complete series.
    It is priced at $42 at Kmart, so should be about that elsewhere.
    Also note that it is listed as a limited release, so get it quick in case stores have already got all the stock that is available.
    I saw the same set too (G.I. Joe Tour of Duty) on Thursday night and was wondering about the same thing. I looked up wiki when I got home and it turns out the old cartoon had like 90+ episodes. Without any indication of volume on the box this looks like some sort of "best of" collection.
    Last edited by Kyle; 11th July 2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo

Pity then, as a best-of usually covers 10 episodes and the distributor also releases a full set. But this suggests that these 33 episodes will probably be all that this distributor will be releasing for the foreseeable future.
    And since it isn't a Madman release, who knows what will happen.

Just had another look on wiki. There were two separate periods of the old G.I. Joe cartoon. The first was produced by Sunbow (1983-1986) and it lasted 95 episodes. The second was produced by DIC (1989-1991) which continued on from the Sunbow series and lasted 44 episodes.

I picked this set up the other day, for those interested, it has 29 episodes, plus some character profiles. The episodes are the first 29 (excluding the 3 5part series). Works out less than $2 an episode which I can justify

Im off to pick this up.... Kyle: where did you spot it at?

jb hifi and kmart

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I picked this set up the other day, for those interested, it has 29 episodes, plus some character profiles. The episodes are the first 29 (excluding the 3 5part series). Works out less than $2 an episode which I can justify
    Probably that 5 part series are considered "special saga episodes". Like mini series movies - e.g. GiJoe: Pyramid of Darkness. If this was the episodes without Cobra Commander in Battle armour then its the Sunbow ones, which I find better as the ones made by DIC , well lets just say are more comedic. It started out well with the return of CobraCommander and the birth of the Python Patrol but soon degraded into meh episodes. Might have to take a stroll down JB-Hi Fi then
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by SentinelPrime View Post
    Im off to pick this up.... Kyle: where did you spot it at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deceptic_Optics View Post
    jb hifi and kmart
    Yes I saw it at JB.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Probably that 5 part series are considered "special saga episodes". Like mini series movies - e.g. GiJoe: Pyramid of Darkness. If this was the episodes without Cobra Commander in Battle armour then its the Sunbow ones, which I find better as the ones made by DIC , well lets just say are more comedic. It started out well with the return of CobraCommander and the birth of the Python Patrol but soon degraded into meh episodes. Might have to take a stroll down JB-Hi Fi then
    I'm tempted now...

I used to have lots of the toys (Still have a few) but I have never seen the cartoon.

Back in the day was it on TV here?