Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scabs and Leeches

Default Scabs and Leeches

about a month ago i met up with a few dudes from OTCA. During one of many short discussions regarding the 3rd party s#!ts, it was pointed out how lame it is when some of these companies make add-ons for other 3rd party releases. Golden Pheonix joked "who are these guys? 4th party?", which stuck with me cos it hearing it roll off his tongue was like lotion for my ears (it was awesome. LOL).

Many/most 3rd parties have released kits for Has/Tak figures and it's commonly accepted that this is OK. When the same thing is done for 3rd party $#!7 it erks me. I't just seems more scabby than the usual kit release, don't ask why.

so anyway, DR WU is a more recent goose that springs to mind. I personally feel his face and head add-ons are so unnecessary, like a parasitic leech. It's just there feeding off others' hard work and contributing to the overwhelming mass of not great 3rd party stuffs. Objectively, It could be justifiably argued that any 3rd party kit is bludging off Has/Tak in the same fashion and you'd be right, although some of the add-ons are seriously in certain Has/Tak figures' favor in terms of playability and canon.

i could probably go on but, yeh, whatever.
    please chime in with their thoughts on sh!7 related to this...
    Last edited by griffin; 24th March 2012 at 08:17 PM.

I felt very similarly with regards to PerfectEffect (PE) initially but they have since moved away greatly from that and have proven to be quite astute with their design team.

I agree it is silly though, but its a quick and easy way to fill a niche within a niche and make a name for one's self although many, like iGear, end up simply announcing 20 odd items and only ever have 4 or so see the light of release - This is what I think is stupid.

there were a heap of FP CityCommander add-ons, from PE, iGear and maybe even TFC, i can't remember exactly. None of them really improved it's overall appearance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MindsetOverhaul View Post
    there were a heap of FP CityCommander add-ons, from PE, iGear and maybe even TFC, i can't remember exactly. None of them really improved it's overall appearance IMO.
    Oh yeah, I agree - Most of PE's early stuff were silly flame-blaster thingies and a jet pack; no amount of thrust is going to get that hulk off of the ground IMO.

Then you had replacement faces, weapons etc. - About the only real decent 4th party item for any 3rd party piece that I've seen come in the form of stickers from Reprolabels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    About the only real decent 4th party item for any 3rd party piece that I've seen come in the form of stickers from Reprolabels.
    mmm, copy that. i agree, they're wicked

It's just a leech sucking on a leech. They all deserve the same amount of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    It's just a leech sucking on a leech. They all deserve the same amount of salt.
    I know you are ideologically against unofficial toys and that's your prerogative but please don't troll.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I know you are ideologically against unofficial toys and that's your prerogative but please don't troll.
    The topic is 'Scabs and Leeches'. There is no justifiable reason for one and not the other. Either you should approve of both or disapprove of both. Ergo - the same amount of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    The topic is 'Scabs and Leeches'. There is no justifiable reason for one and not the other. Either you should approve of both or disapprove of both. Ergo - the same amount of salt.
    Very well. It is up to you and others if they see your post as constructive to the argument the thread topic puts forth regardless of bias.

Taking away the bile, and ignoring the inconsistency in condemning 3rd-party producers for 'ripping off' Hasbros IP (which for the most part consists of reimaginings of old Diaclone and Microman toys) while giving them a pass on pieces like, say the Universe Sunstreaker mold, SS is pretty much right IMO. 3rd-Party additional add-ons for other 3rd-Party pieces are just as valid as any other add-on for any other piece.

As far as the morality of it goes, well...I aim for amorality as often as is possible, and especially for TF collecting. If I started getting all moral about it I'd have to consider that I blow hundreds of dollars a year on collecting toys while millions of people starve to death all over the world every year, and then every time I looked my TF collection I'd end up thinking about how many starving kids the money I've spent on those complicated plastic puzzles could have fed. It's kind of depressing, so I prefer to down a few beers and fool around with my MP10 and my PE Night-Ops Not-Reflector instead.