View Poll Results: Worth Buying?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I’m a fan (Yes)

3 37.50%
  • I’m more of a discount fan (Only if cheap)

2 25.00%
  • I could be a fan in certain circumstances… (Only if other)

0 0%
  • Not a fan (No)

1 12.50%
  • Really not a fan (Not interested)

2 25.00%

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Nautica

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Nautica

Nautica

Series – Titans Return
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco – Blurr redeco
    Wave - Chaos on Velocitron
    Released here – ???
    Approximate Retail Price - ???
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Hovercraft
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Titan Master
    Main Colours – Purple, pink, yellow
    Main Accessories – Gun, nosecone, Titan Master, fans

Here she is, the last of IDW’s original three fembots. Judging by conversations on the net, she is the main selling points of this set.

Her colour scheme is quite bright but manages to avoid being to garish. The joints are all quite tight with no sign of mould degradation yet. The fans connect into existing holes on the moulds arms and won’t come off unless you want them off. The unnamed Titan Master head looks good if a little blocky, but it is a little disappointing they left her clear blue visor off. Given that she doesn’t always have one in the comics it’s somewhat understandable. What is less understandable is why they then chose to give her a visor on the artwork on the front of the box.

Her lips have a little colour to them, but it’s pretty subtle and doesn’t really jump out. Thankfully not as full on red as the renders portrayed. Her posability is everything you would expect from the Blurr mould. Thankfully the fans don’t interfere with any movement, although they will affect how you can mount her nosecone on her arm. In the pre-release chatter some concerns were raised as to whether the Blurr mould would be feminine enough. I think she manages it quite well. The face is quite female, and the body is slim enough to not contradict it. It manages to look female without being over the top.

Vehicle mode looks pretty good. The strong colours continue to work well together with the lines on the nosecone standing out quite nicely. The fans integrate quite well and don’t give an overall impression of Blurr with bolt-ons. Looks pretty sleek and gives off a hovercraft vibe. Not much more to say. Rolls well on the wheels.

This figure has really impressed me with the versatility of the Blurr mould. The three characters that use it all manage to have quite distinct silhouettes in both modes with only minor changes to the base body. Brainstorm uses remoulding and is clearly the furthest from the base Blurr mould, but Nautica manages a fair degree of differentiation with only two additional accessories that utilise existing holes in the mould. It makes a pleasant change from Combiner Wars moulds just getting a new coat of paint and maybe a new head for each character. Looking at you Alpha-Bravo/Blades/Vortex/Skyburst/Stormclash/Spinister/Lunaclub/Moonheart/Hepter

Am I disappointed Nautica didn’t get her own unique mould? Yes I am. Do I think she needs to be a Titan Master? No, but given that Windblade is getting a Titan Master update I can’t say I’m surprised. Does she deserves a wider release than one overpriced exclusive set? Definitely. However, if this ends up as the only Nautica toy ever made I'm happy with it.

I am holding Nautica in my hot hands, and she is definitely worth the price of admission for this set. The colors look better in person, and the remold for the hovercraft VTOL engines make her look almost like a new mold enitrely - less of a car than blurr, and more of a sky car/ hovercraft. I was disappointed about the lack of a visor, but I am hoping someone does a Shapeways add on to the face. I think it could clip on nice. There is also a Shapeways Wrench to go with Nautica, and I am going to order it printed in diecast for her.

Most pleased to have another fembot in the collection
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I couldn't justify the price of the whole set because there's really nothing else in there that interests me, but it was easy to throw down a lot more than a Deluxe is worth to grab Nautica by herself. Even if I wasn't an IDW fan, I love the TR Blurr mold in all its forms and Nautica is fantastic.

Does the vehicle mode look daft with the 'nose shield' removed? It was lame on Blurr bit might work here...

Got this yesterday and the main disappointing part is the lack of a nice translucent blue-ish visor. Would have really made the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Got this yesterday and the main disappointing part is the lack of a nice translucent blue-ish visor. Would have really made the figure.
    Wouldn't the inclusion of the visor impede the Titan Master's ability to fit inside Nautica's cockpit? The alternative would be to have a solid sculpted visor (like G1 Jazz style), but then you wouldn't be able to see the individual eyes - so it may be a case of either one or the other. <shrugs>

Would Nautica hold the record for the fembot with the biggest eyebrows? Or is this just a malebot in drag?