Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GI JOE against COBRA the enemy

Default GI JOE against COBRA the enemy

Ha sorry about the title.

I used to have a boxful of these guys as a kid. Well between me and my brother I guess we had 2 box loads. All given away to a family friend.

Today I purchased 25th Snake Eyes w/timber... I really hope I don't fall down the slippery slope of GI Joe collecting.

Hehehe, "COBRA The Enemy"... as opposed to "COBRA the Dental Surgeons"? Or possibly "COBRA The Stuttering Singaporeans*," - "Cobra-La-La-La-La-La-La!"

-----------------------------------------------------
    *Comment was made for parody purposes only. Cobra doesn't recruit agents from Singapore as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    Today I purchased 25th Snake Eyes w/timber... I really hope I don't fall down the slippery slope of GI Joe collecting.
    Oooohhh your on a dangerous precipice there, I started with 2 GI Joe 5 packs in 2007, and was impressed to say the least. And last year with TF Animated
    failing to grab me, the Joes and Cobras drove back my TF collection and defeated them in open battle as I collected more Joes than TF's, only Universe and Henkei survived the onslaught.

Better watch out there are some awfully nice figures in this line.

Hehehe, "COBRA The Enemy"... as opposed to "COBRA the Dental Surgeons"? Or possibly "COBRA The Stuttering Singaporeans*," - "Cobra-La-La-La-La-La-La!"
    "Cobra the Dental Surgeons" would be appropriate for Doctor Mindbender, evil genius and dentist extrodinare.

I always thought the Cobra-La battle cry should be sung the same as the Smurf song. Cobra la LA la LA la la la sing a happy song....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Oooohhh your on a dangerous precipice there, I started with 2 GI Joe 5 packs in 2007, and was impressed to say the least. And last year with TF Animated
    failing to grab me, the Joes and Cobras drove back my TF collection and defeated them in open battle as I collected more Joes than TF's, only Universe and Henkei survived the onslaught.

Better watch out there are some awfully nice figures in this line.
    Yeah... I know. I think a couple of factors might just save me though. The first is the supply of these things at TRU is pretty bad and even when they have figures cool enough to buy... they seem a little too expensive. At $12-13 I think I'd be out of control but not at $16. Secondly the AU$ is pretty shady against the US$ at the moment and shipping is pretty high... as a general rule I would prefer not to deal with americans... some are great, most are pretty lousy. And thirdly, I think these toys are a touch too small to display well... I don't like mosc or misb collections and this size of toy just doesn't grab me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

-----------------------------------------------------
    *Comment was made for parody purposes only. Cobra doesn't recruit agents from Singapore as far as I know.
    haha...that's funny

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    Yeah... I know. I think a couple of factors might just save me though. The first is the supply of these things at TRU is pretty bad and even when they have figures cool enough to buy... they seem a little too expensive. At $12-13 I think I'd be out of control but not at $16. Secondly the AU$ is pretty shady against the US$ at the moment and shipping is pretty high... as a general rule I would prefer not to deal with americans... some are great, most are pretty lousy. And thirdly, I think these toys are a touch too small to display well... I don't like mosc or misb collections and this size of toy just doesn't grab me.
    Your lucky you didn't start when the dollar was strong then $8 Gi Joes = yes please.

Mine display plenty fine though.

haha this snake eyes cost me $24... that's what bin on ebay can inspire.

Your pictures bring back memories... especially those 2 in the blue and red. Can't really remember much about the cartoon, but the toys made a pretty big mark on my brain. How many (25th) do you own?

The cartoon was pretty campy IMO... the original Marvel comics were pretty good. Larry Hama is to G.I. Joe fans as Simon Furman is to Transformers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The cartoon was pretty campy IMO... the original Marvel comics were pretty good. Larry Hama is to G.I. Joe fans as Simon Furman is to Transformers fans.
    I despise the cartoon, fortunately (or unfortunately for the wallet) the majority of the Gi Joe 25th anniversary releases have been characters who were prominent in the comic, as well as in the toon, Indeed Red Ninja, Arctic Commando Snake Eyes and Wraith are all characters exclusive to the comic universe.

I have to say I prefer my old Larry Hamma GI Joe comics to my old Furman/Budiansky TF comics, but the TF concept interests me more than that of GI Joe so its a pretty even match. The one thing I particularly enjoy about Hamma's writting was his perchant for rather snappy dialouge.

Your pictures bring back memories... especially those 2 in the blue and red. Can't really remember much about the cartoon, but the toys made a pretty big mark on my brain. How many (25th) do you own?
    The guys wearing both blue and red are the Twins Tomax and Xamot the Crimson Guard commanders. Two of the series more silly characters, famed in the comic for misinterpreting one of Cobra Commanders orders and ordering the execution of GI Joe prisoners.

And did someone say camp?
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yeUZcGYKFY0

I've never really kept track of my collections, TF or Joe, but I suspect with recent reinforcments the new Joes are hovering around the 50 mark eep!

Lord Zed - That Song was gold! lol And they arent 2 of the more silly characters, they are the ones that fund Cobra, without them the Commander would just be crazy. Who do you think pays for the guns from Destro ?

They did have a stupid thing going in the cartoon where they could feel each others pain, did they do that in the comics ?