• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toys Review - A Hero is Born (Legacy Alpha Trion & Orion Pax)

Default Toys Review - A Hero is Born (Legacy Alpha Trion & Orion Pax)

ALPHA TRION & ORION PAX
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Voyager & Deluxe respectively
    New/remould/redeco - Retool/repaint of Studio Series 86 Scourge and SS86 Kup respectively
    Wave - N/A (Hasbro Pulse exclusive)
    Released here - October 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - $120
    Approximate Size - 17cm & 14cm respectively
    Allegiance - Autobots
    Alt-mode - Bar of soap & Space ute
    Main Features/Gimmicks - It's freaking Alpha Trion and Orion Pax
    Main Colours - Alpha = maroon, purple, beige / Orion = red, chambray blue, white
    Main Accessories - repair rifle, load-lifter gun, tricorder, Vector Sigma, stand for Vector Sigma (base and shaft), Key to Vector Sigma

Note: As Alpha Trion is a retool/repaint of Studio Series 86 Scourge, and Orion Pax is a retool/repaint of Studio Series 86 Kup, refer to their respective review threads for comments about the original moulds. This thread will focus on differences.
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...Studio-Series)
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...dio-Series-KUP

Overall:
    WYSIWYG. Both are very nice retools and repaints that involve more new parts than just the heads. Both have parts of their upper torsos in vehicle modes with new bits, as well as Alpha Trion's upper arms. This really does put BotCon exclusives to shame. The backpack on my Orion Pax is loose, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm not sure when, where or who made the decision that Alpha Trion would be Scourge repaints and Orion Pax would be Kup repaints. I don't know if I'm totally on board, however they both look really good here and I like it.

If I find a set, I'll pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I'm not sure when, where or who made the decision that Alpha Trion would be Scourge repaints and Orion Pax would be Kup repaints.
    The Kup into Orion precedent was started by Ehobby. The Scourge into Alpha thing is new, but I think it makes a lot of sense. That said, I'm still happy with my TR version so I skipped it.

I split my set with Dirge, but I'm really happy with how Orion Pax turned out. Every other version has missed the mark in one way or another, but this one is just about perfect for my needs.
    My only gripe is my one has two random stress marks on one arm, which I'm not even sure how this would happen as it's not on a moving part.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I'm not sure when, where or who made the decision that Alpha Trion would be Scourge repaints and Orion Pax would be Kup repaints.
    Alpha Trion as a repaint/retool of Scourge works a lot better than being a repaint/retool of Vector Prime!

As Tha_Phantom said, the Kup as Orion Pax thing started with the eHobby repaint of reissue Targetmaster Kup (with Wheelie repainted as Dion).

I think both work well enough.

I think they look nice enough, but would it kill Hasbro/ Takara to come up with unique designs??? I'd be all in for the asking price if there was a little more creativity expressed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    I think they look nice enough, but would it kill Hasbro/ Takara to come up with unique designs??? I'd be all in for the asking price if there was a little more creativity expressed here.
    What do you mean by unique designs? Do you not find the retooling here enough to make them accurate to their cartoon appearance? Or is that the issue - they're too toon-accurate and you want a fresh deviation from the cartoon?
    If the latter, there are some previous options of both characters that offer some originality. In particular, I'm a fan of the Titans Return Alpha Trion as it homages two previous toy alt modes he has had (albeit one wasn't actually released).
    Whilst I'm not a fan of it, there is the Generations Orion Pax that isn't a retool of anything, nor is it particularly toon accurate, but it's an option.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

No, I don't find retooling enough; not for the cost. Just my two cents, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    They did come up with a unique design for Thrilling 30 Orion Pax, which came out at a time when the Aussie Dollar was trading a above parity against the U.S. Dollar; so while that toy was never released here, it was easy and quite cheap to import. I paid $22 for mine and that was with shipping from the USA.

We all vote with our wallets, so if you want Hasbro to give us more original moulds for lesser known characters, then the best thing to do is to throw your money at Hasbro for these toys when they make them.