Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192434 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I wonder then if they have an obligation to ensure that the people they sell it to hold any requisite imitation firearms permit?
    That's the million dollar question

Quote Originally Posted by aching878 View Post
    That's the million dollar question
    There is also a 28 day waiting period once you have completed the PTA (permit to acquire). So it will also be interesting to see if that is followed.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    There is also a 28 day waiting period once you have completed the PTA (permit to acquire). So it will also be interesting to see if that is followed.
    "B709 Import Permit" is what is needed for import, there shouldn't be any grace period.

Well I have my permit so I am set either way. Funnily enough it expires in May 2017 so I better ensure that I am onto that renewal given that's when it may be coming out.

I would recommend to anyone in NSW that wants this just to do the right thing and get the permit. It wasn't that much trouble and it is the legally correct thing to do (assuming it is classified an imitation firearm)

If giant oversized MP5 Megatron is classed as a replica firearm, I can't imagine why MP36 wouldn't truth be told.

Won't PC need some sort of firearm's licence to sell it IF the various state governments classify it as an imitation firearm? I wonder then if they have an obligation to ensure that the people they sell it to hold any requisite imitation firearms permit?
    Yes. Sellers also need to acquire permits and comply with safe storage requirements in order to legally import and sell this toy. The law exists to prevent things like burglars stealing replica firearms and then using them to threaten other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    It could be a possibility... I highly doubt many people have a firearms licence so it will be almost impossible to source one.
    MP36 doesn't come out until 2017, so anyone who doesn't currently hold a permit and lives in a state where it's required can get the ball rolling now.
    Well I have my permit so I am set either way. Funnily enough it expires in May 2017 so I better ensure that I am onto that renewal given that's when it may be coming out.
    The NSW Police Ministry should send a reminder letter before your current permit expires. The permit lasts a couple of years. I've received a reminder letter once, submitted the renewal form and received a new permit. It was pretty simple.

The initial set up for getting the permit is a pain - getting all the right documentation and ensuring that you're compliant with safe storage requirements. But it's just a once off hassle, once's it's done it's done. After that you'll receive a reminder letter once every couple of years and that's pretty much it.

Does the Megatron club still exist and am I still required to join if I want to own MP-36?

I'm buying 2 from PC if they allow more than 1. If you're reading PC please stock it.

In addition to my previous question about the Megatron collectors club, what are the safe storage requirements? Bars on window and lock on door is ok, but does it really need to be in a safe or locked display? And does someone come out to check the premises?

Just a little extra info for QLD importation should you not be able to acquire MP-36 locally. I just called weapons licencing and confirmed the B709 permit is good for 12 months from the issue date. So if you have an old permit you might need to get a new one for MP-36.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    Does the Megatron club still exist and am I still required to join if I want to own MP-36?
    Yes and yes.