• No

2 15.38%
  • Not interested

1 7.69%

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Legends class Bumblebee

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Titans Return Legends class Bumblebee

I like this little Legends Bee a lot. It has issues but the main thing for me personally, is that it is finally a CHUG- whatever-they're-calling-it-now version of G1 Bumblebee, in the right scale. The old Deluxe one was too big to me, old legends one too small and simplistic. So I've been looking forward to this guy since its reveal.

Car mode:
    It's a nice little car that looks a lot like the Animated bee, with super deformed hints not unlike his G1 self. The color difference between the painted roof piece and rest of the yellow plastic isn't as bad in person as in the photos, but still quite obvious. Looks like originally the roof and the wheels were going to be cast in clear plastic like Wheelie, then changed to black (so Bumblebee only has two molded plastic colors, whereas Wheelie has four); but the yellow paint had already been color coded to match the clear plastic so it doesn't match that well on the final product. Although yellow paint on black plastic is probably one of the hardest to work with.

The cab opens up differently than I expected, but it's quite effective, and the TM dude sits snugly inside.

Transformation:
    The legs do a clever fold out motion, and everything on the upper body tabs in securely. I'm still amazed at how a TM pilot seat can be integrated into figures at Legends scale without compromising much. Simply top engineering. I imagine kids would have a ton of fun with these as carry-around toys that can seat a little dude inside.

Robit mode:
    He's an adorable little G1 bumblebee. The head sculpt is perfect and probably the most G1 we've ever seen on a CHUG figure; although it could stand to be bigger to be make the internal proportions more G1 accurate.
    The big shoulders with car bits sticking out certainly don't help with the proportions, but it's only a Legends figure so.

Articulation is decent for his size, with ball joint elbows doubling as bicep swivels. No waist swivel but that's just me spoiled by Wheelie.

For me Bumblebee needs to be this small to feel right next to Deluxe and Voyager bots.

Verdict:
    This will be my CHUG Bumblebee. Another great figure from the very strong 2016 TR Legends class. I hope next year we'll see more minibots done at this scale.

Looks like he has his pinky raised on his hands, damn classy bumblebee

The color difference between the painted roof piece and rest of the yellow plastic isn't as bad in person as in the photos, but still quite obvious.
    This is something I'm going to need to see in person because every photo of the toy I've seen, including yours, makes that difference quite pronounced.

The two different tones of yellow are obvious, it makes me wonder why they just didn't make that piece yellow and paint the windows black.

He is a cool little toy though

Hasbro's always struggled with matching yellows between solid and painted plastics, whereas Takara have always done better. So if the yellows bother you, wait for the LG release.
    e.g. Universe Sunstreaker vs Henkei Sunstreaker

The mould and design look nice, but I have more than enough CHUGUR Bumblebees. I look forward to getting Chase though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hasbro's always struggled with matching yellows between solid and painted plastics, whereas Takara have always done better.
    They always will if they're just going to put a light colour over a darker base color, which is probably a budgetary constraint.

Ideally they'd prime the part white and then go over it with the yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The color difference between the painted roof piece and rest of the yellow plastic isn't as bad in person as in the photos, but still quite obvious.
    This is something I'm going to need to see in person because every photo of the toy I've seen, including yours, makes that difference quite pronounced.
    Finally opened him tonight and the yellow paint is dealbreaker for me. If there were other elements of the toy that could win me over I might look past it, but other than the spot on head sculpt I am not impressed. Not going to bother with Roadburn now either, particularly since none of the other Throttlebots are on the horizon.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    I like this little Legends Bee a lot. It has issues but the main thing for me personally, is that it is finally a CHUG- whatever-they're-calling-it-now version of G1 Bumblebee, in the right scale. The old Deluxe one was too big to me, old legends one too small and simplistic. So I've been looking forward to this guy since its reveal.
    I share this sentiment too. The Deluxe figure from Classics/Henkei/RTS is a bit too big (uncharacteristically so, unless you stand him up against a Voyager or Leader), and the small legion Bumblebee only really fits next to Legends and Scout class figures.

For me, the nicest thing about this figure is the head sculpt (cute and chubby face, spot-on horns, etc). It really evokes the friendly underdog nature of G1 Bumblebee, which is what he basically was in G1. The gripe I have with most modern Bumblebees nowadays is they try to cram too many superlatives into Bumblebee - Something I'll expand on in another thread another day.

It's a nice modern take on Bumblebee which, size and character-wise, is how I think a CHUG Bumblebee should be.