Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push notifications from OTCA

Default Push notifications from OTCA

HI Admin,

I wonder if there is any way I can set up a notification mechanism from a particular board (e.g., Memember sales board). Whenever there is a new post added, I would receive an email in my registered email account?

I need this as I have missed a lot of good deals in the past!!

I know it's possible to subscribe to threads and receive instant notifications but I'm not sure about entire sections.

I personally wouldn't want that as it would most likely alert me every time someone posts in any thread in a section, that would get real tedious real quick. maybe an alert just for new threads in a section would be a good idea.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I know it's possible to subscribe to threads and receive instant notifications but I'm not sure about entire sections.

I personally wouldn't want that as it would most likely alert me every time someone posts in any thread in a section, that would get real tedious real quick. maybe an alert just for new threads in a section would be a good idea.
    Yes, a new thread alert is what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by micfox001 View Post
    HI Admin,

I wonder if there is any way I can set up a notification mechanism from a particular board (e.g., Memember sales board). Whenever there is a new post added, I would receive an email in my registered email account?

I need this as I have missed a lot of good deals in the past!!
    True. But then everyone would have it also and it would be a disaster of incomplete and edited posts all trying to post ill-considered "holds" on things and in quite a few cases backing out later.

Also, if everyone has it you will still miss out on a lot of good deals.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    True. But then everyone would have it also and it would be a disaster of incomplete and edited posts all trying to post ill-considered "holds" on things and in quite a few cases backing out later.

Well.. not everyone would check their emails 7/24. Second, not every one would have internet access 7/24..

TCCA has put the sale section out of their facebook discussion group and it is not that difficult to follow the good deals.

True.

While you may think that you're going to get a heads up and call dibs on any perceived deals by being in front of a computer all day, quite a few others will also have it set up.

So, really, Mic, you're back to square one, hoping that the person who has 2 minutes free at work or are checking their phone doesn't get in before you do.

Quote Originally Posted by micfox001 View Post
    Well.. not everyone would check their emails 7/24. Second, not every one would have internet access 7/24..

TCCA has put the sale section out of their facebook discussion group and it is not that difficult to follow the good deals.
    If you receive emails or check facebook you are already on the internet so looking at the sales section is not that hard and is already an option.

We have all missed out on great deals (and you should always miss more than you get). But email notifications on smartphones about new threads will actually reduce the time available to put a hold on something before others do.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

It's possible to subscribe to a whole section through "Forum Tools" but I don't know if it gives notifications of new threads or just about the already existing threads. Couldn't hurt to give it a go.

[EDIT] Sorry, typed "Thread tools" instead of "Forum tools"

At the top of the section table, there might be a "Forum Tools" menu (it's hard for me to tell what regular members can see as I can see everything).... and from there you can subscribe to the entire forum.
    I don't know what it will notify you with - it could be all posts, or new topics, or just replies to existing topics.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post

So, really, Mic, you're back to square one, hoping that the person who has 2 minutes free at work or are checking their phone doesn't get in before you do.
    People don't use up precious work time to interact on this forum ... do they?

We have all missed out on great deals (and you should always miss more than you get). But email notifications on smartphones about new threads will actually reduce the time available to put a hold on something before others do.
    You're totally missing the point. It's all about ME ME ME ME.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    (it's hard for me to tell what regular members can see as I can see everything)....
    Must remember to put on pants with every log in.