Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21313637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Convoy 3.0 Revealed

Im more impressed at the fact that we have 3 similar looking Primes being offered.
    If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that TT were leaking out or auctioning off a few files here and there.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

i got my MS version a few days ago and its quite a nice figure. i have the TE one on pre-order as well.

that said, i am also looking forward to the v3 Takara MP, however there is no way in hell I am paying that insane price. i will either wait for Hasbro to release it in the west at hopefully a lower price, if they dont eventually lower the price to something reasonable i will skip it.

as nice as this V3 is , that price is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by CoRDS View Post
    as nice as this V3 is , that price is ridiculous
    Not nearly as ridiculous as the Wal Mart G1 Optimus Prime reissue that's just the cab robot for US$50 (especially considering that Encore Convoy sold for nearly the same price with everything).

As I've said before, each time an MP toy does a tech level jump, the RRP tends to roughly double. MP10 was about twice the price of MP01 and MP44 is about twice the price of MP10. MP Sunstreaker was about twice the price of MP Lambor, and MP36 was about twice the price of MP05. Obviously if a toy is going to do more then it will cost more.

Wal Mart G1 Optimus Prime has had no real improvements; the most significant appears to be the front axle being shortened to its original length (rather than having G1 Ultra Magnus' longer axle). They've gutted the toy by removing the trailer and Roller car, nullifying its play set value as a mobile HQ and yet have the audacity to charge US$50 for it.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Well the 3P is significantly cheaper.
    That's a massive understatement. Usually there's a price difference to some extent, but this much of a jump is crazy.

The reason I made that post was because traditionally I've well and truly been in the anti-ko and anti-3p camp when it came to koing either figures or likenesses (as an aside, I do own a full Retro Future set as with the exception of using G1 combiner joints, they're original figures to my knowledge). Heck, a few years back I even tracked down KOtoys's server location and when I found it was in the US, called Hasbro US by phone and notified them.

Yet when I look at this much of a price jump, I'm having a very hard time justifying such a price difference.

If 3P can do this so cheaply, given there typically hasn't been such a massive price jump between 3P and Takara Tomy, why can't TT have MP-44 priced more around the $350USD mark?

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Yet when I look at this much of a price jump, I'm having a very hard time justifying such a price difference.
    I'm not.

Official superior, 3P inferior.

Well the 3P is significantly cheaper.
    Some people prefer the aesthetics of the 3P, the cheaper price is just the bonus.

I'm not.

Official superior, 3P inferior.
    Except you have a designer like this guy who has worked on both official and 3P products:

http://designdecode.org/article.php?...ander-kubalsky

Do his designs suddenly lose or gain value depending upon his employer?

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Do his designs suddenly lose or gain value depending upon his employer?
    Actually, they do.

Actually, they do.
    A design is assessed on its own merit, not who pays for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    A design is assessed on its own merit, not who pays for it.
    Sure and Takara always beat 3P for me when there are products of the same characters.
    In this instance, MP-44 is more cartoon accurate than the other two. Not saying they aren't cartoon accurate at all, but MP-44 does it better. It also has more features and accessories.

Sure and Takara always beat 3P for me when there are products of the same characters.
    In this instance, MP-44 is more cartoon accurate than the other two. Not saying they aren't cartoon accurate at all, but MP-44 does it better. It also has more features and accessories.
    You already have your brand loyalty (or brand fanaticism), so TT will always beat 3P for you because of that regardless.

For others that don't have that brand loyalty or fanaticism, other criteria will be used to assess which design and which figure is right for them.

If you think MP-44 is "the best", then congratulations, give yourself a cookie! I'm happy that there is a market big enough to provide multiple choices, not just one.