Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456781323 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic reviews: IDW More Than Meets The Eye ongoing

according to the sales lady there, a lot of the buyers buy all the variant covers which is why even if they order a lot seems still short ah well... who are these people?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Speculators buy issue 1s. That's why IDW kept putting out new #1s every six months when they started. Boosts their sale numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    according to the sales lady there, a lot of the buyers buy all the variant covers which is why even if they order a lot seems still short ah well... who are these people?
    Yeah, I've heard that too. Just get a standing order, dude.

Lost track of the number of times I've re-read this issue. It's really growing on me.

Here's a scan of my favourite panel

Issue 2 was another great issue. The change in artists wasn't a problem, there's still a cartoony element to the panels. And I really love Skids redesign. The medbay scenes were my favourite, and the Tailgate Swerve dynamic is funy (in particular the comment about Swerve's function). The cameos from some of the rest of the crew were nice but surprisingly early G1 focused. At least many of those later-G1 names mentioned last issue aren't completely lost. I am in two minds however about the casualties in this issue are being red shirts.

Issue #2 is fantastic, as expected. It feels like Alex Milne is aping Nick Roche rather than Pat Lee, so the art is good. The story is great - the only real flaw is that Tailgate has English letters written on his arm despite having been in suspended animation for six million years - I can't understand how that could be scripted, drawn and go through editing without someone being pulled up on it or going "huh?" Still, Tailgate is intriguing and I love the idea that his insides are so old they're basically clockwork. Skids is even cooler than he was when he got that roof job from Charlene, but (a bit like he was in Marvel UK,) he may be haunted - we know that he's connected to something bad from the 'warning from the future' - certainly those robots chanting '1984' are not going to be good for the crew either. I'm going to assume that the Duobots' names are a pun on 'Shock and Awe' unless we later find out names of any other Duobots or someone else has a better explanation. Good to see Mainframe and Rollout too, even if only one Action Master is conscious. Again, this is superb character-driven stuff and the best Transformers ongoing in decades.

I love this comic. RiD is a bit slow and ends with a shocker that's been telegraphed since, "The Death of Optimus Prime." MTMTE though is fun and adventure. Dumping the war was a great idea. A breath of fresh air.

Swerve rocks! I love how they're putting more focus on not so prominent characters and just the wider mix of characters from across the G1 spectrum... much like what Furman did. So refreshing to see the story break away from the 'staple' early and more well known G1 characters all the time!

The medbay moment was an absolute classic. I also liked when Cyclonus "cuddled" Whirl (heh). Skids does remind me of his appearance in the UK G1 comics, only he has a more fun attitude - in G1 he was kinda like "Oh crap, I'm haunted by monsters," whereas here he's like, "Fighting monsters, here take this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    the only real flaw is that Tailgate has English letters written on his arm despite having been in suspended animation for six million years - I can't understand how that could be scripted, drawn and go through editing without someone being pulled up on it or going "huh?"
    THANK YOU! I'm so glad I'm not the only person who is irked by that! I was also not fond of the whole "NAIL" thing, because it probably only makes sense as an acronym in English, and it's hard to believe that all these Cybertronians who fled Cybertron millions of years ago and have only just returned - most probably with NO contact with Earth - just happen to understand English and the "NAIL" acronym and the cultural connotations that makes it insulting?!? Then there was the graffiti in English (there didn't seem much attempt to "mask" it as Cybertronian script like with the text on Skids' shuttle controls) - but whatever, I kinda told myself that the NAIL acronym was made by Autobots who'd been to Earth (although why they'd continue using English on Cybertron is beyond me) and the graffiti was written in Cybertronian but visually "translated" for the audience... alright, let's go with that.

But the "OSAL" thing?!? That's just too much disbelief for me to suspend. It's nigh-impossible that a millions-of-years old alien language (English is a relatively young language even by Earth standards) would happen to have the same word for same word for disposal as in Modern English (a word which itself was derived from Old French and Latin); Some incredible intergalactic fluke?!? I wish they'd use a Cybertronian script (that's what FB does with a lot of their comics) and perhaps provide a small box in the corner of the frame for transliteration.

But otherwise a really enjoyable ish! Bring on the next one!

"You... you speak English!"
    "I am actually speaking Rigellian. By an astonishing coincidence, both of our languages are exactly the same."

- The Simpsons ("Treehouse of Horrors" 'Hungry are the Damned')

Great issue.

Art remains tight, it is driven forward by characters and their interactions rather than info dumps.

I love that while Drift is one of the "bigger" names in the selling of this series, he has so far been relegated to a joke character who spouts crud that Rodimus wants to hear.

Cant wait to see more Skids, Ratchet, Magnus, Swerve, Cyclonus and Red Alert!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

So preview for issue #3 is up.

Writing is excellent once again, the banter is so well constructed, and shared amongst the cast, Rewind, Rodimus and Ratchet all get lines in the first handful of pages.

Out this week.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)