Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Dilemma: WWUD?

Default Moral Dilemma: WWUD?

Okay, I've been mulling over this for about a week now so let's see what others think. For those that don't know I play AFL (best. sport. ever.). And as w/ most contact sports things get a bit rough at times. Last weekend, one of my team mates, got cleaned up. The guy in the opposition team ran through his back and then threw his elbow into my mate's throat area and passed onto his jaw as he lost his footing. My mate went down and was out cold for 15 mins. The fat oversized brute who was about 6 foot 2, just laughed at it and called my mate a softc**k right in front of the ump. It was a sick, callous blow and the umpire said he didn't see anything - even though the hit was in the play and a man was down b/c of it. It's not really surprising anyway. The umpires were provided by the opposition (the home team) anyway (which is what usually happens).

The last quarter came around, and I chose my moment. No one did that to my mates. Any one of my team mates. After laying a shepard against the big oaf, I turned around in one fluid motion and swatted him one. He dropped like a fly. I told that was for the second quarter (where the 1st incident had happened) and re-entered the play w/out too much notice.

When the umpires realised what had happened, they weren't able to do anything. (He got up about 2 to 3 minute later and went off the ground to return about 10 minutes later.)The umpires never knew who did it but they said to our team after the game that stuff wasn't on. I was pretty pissed. It was a double standard. One of our boys gets put down, that's okay. Nothing major and they tell us to quit whining. One of their's gets done, they cry foul and have a sook. We're a much smaller team than them. Hell, I was at least a head shorter than the prick I smacked out.

Anyways, the coach didn't single me out but he knew what happened. Hell, most of the boys knew what happened. Most of the boys know why I did it and they appreciate what happened. It means we look after our own. However, me, I'm not so sure.

I do feel kind of bad. What I basically did was an eye for an eye. Is that right? So what would you have done? Did I make the right call?

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Any teammate who looks out for his other teammates would have done exactly the same thing.

Sure we don't play sport in the 70's anymore (where this was the norm) but if you were the one who copped the cheapshot, you don't think one of your teammates would have done exactly what you did?

STL, you did the right thing.

Thumbs up

The problem with most contact sports is that no system enforced by human judgements can ever be perfect. Realistically you have to go into the game expecting some unfairness could happen. The same of course goes for the other team.

An eye for an eye is not nice. You've already felt bad about it, and at least you did it on the field not outside. Also you did it for your team mates and have the decency to reflect on what happened and question yourself whether you did the right thing. Something I doubt was on that brute's mind when he was laughing at your mate. (I hope you did knock some sense into him, and he would really learn from this.) Big difference. Also the umpires blamed your team for something that was caused by their own bad judgement. I hope they'll realise this soon, before someone gets seriously hurt. Not saying their wrongs made you right. But you did it with noble intention and it is already over, so don't feel bad about it at all. Your team mates are fortunate to have someone looking after them.
    Last edited by Kyle; 15th May 2008 at 07:24 AM.

ah football the game of savages

i was destined to play in a team till the racist coach said no

your team should beat that guys team up,unless your religiuous in which id say no

if your in melbourne get a contract out on this guy

violence is the only way

You are 100% right STL so don't feel guilty. This jerk is probably a bully outside of footy so I'm happy you smacked him one. I would have done the same thing. You're obviously a guy with a sense of honour, so everyone at your club owes you a beer for showing that your team are not spineless cats that can be bullied. Good Work!

Giant Neanderthals like that need to get some payback.

You did the right thing STL, even in full contact sports like AFL cheap shots are not on, and in the case of cheap shots, two wrongs do make a right, especially when the guy who made the first cheap shot is given an even better shot later on.

And giant wankers who take out female players (no matter how dirty the female players are) in mixed sports should be lined up and every opposition player given a free shot at the moron.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

remind me to shake your hand

George
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

He got what he deserved.
    Biased umpires should be shut from a game.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    You did the right thing STL, even in full contact sports like AFL cheap shots are not on, and in the case of cheap shots, two wrongs do make a right, especially when the guy who made the first cheap shot is given an even better shot later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    remind me to shake your hand

George
    i'll shake the other.
    Empires that are not of neutral grounds are crap and it's lucky no one other than your team mates saw what happened