Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece style has changed

Default Masterpiece style has changed

Hey guys,

I've noticed that the Masterpiece figures have moved towards more cartoon style is that correct? There doesn't seem to be a lot of detail on the figures itself. Noticed with Hound and compared to say my MP Soundwave on the hands and legs there is a lot less detail.

Makes it almost too plain.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It changed since MP01 <- personally that is a masterpiece figure

When the scaling came into place < is a action figure (realistic style)

Then you have a "no paint" period and bunch of "fans" supported this move

Then things changed actually since Ironhide mp "cartoon style" but with paint. this followed with Ratchet, Inferno, Grapple, Megatron, and Sunstreaker. As much as some feel the cartoon look is plain looking, the toy itself actually looks a lot better than the half painted ones Wheeljack, Shockwave, Ultra Magnus < gets away a bit because of size, but the finish is dull.

So its been a while in case you never noticed. Personally I can't care less anymore as Takara was not consistent with the entire line. The fans are divided in actually knowing what they want and whenever TT makes something not great, fans will still find "excuses" to support it. I am glad the line is more or less slowed or even concluded. I am just waiting for MP44 and be done with TFs as TT doesn't seem to be keen in making fresh designs, and even when they do now, it cost $200-$400 for a masterpiece.

I was never a 3p collector, but when I see how much better Fantoys makes TFs, I was easily converted.

Where have you been these past few years?!?!

I?d say the cartoon style with less detailing started with Ultra Magnus though was more obvious with Ironhide onwards.

For me personally I prefer the older style which balanced real-world detail with cartoon accurate design. It wouldn?t bother me so much if not for the fact that the pricing has also increased which gives the impression we are getting less value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    For me personally I prefer the older style which balanced real-world detail with cartoon accurate design. It wouldn?t bother me so much if not for the fact that the pricing has also increased which gives the impression we are getting less value for money.
    Same, I preferred the older style more. As much as I love them, my Grapple and Inferno in particular feel/look somewhat plain to me in their robot modes.

I'm with Trev and Ralph.

I lost interest rapidly around the late 20s/early 30s. Hound looked interesting but when I saw that the robot mode has little fake wheel 'nubs' on the legs I turned completely off it.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Is a bit of a shame, because if MP Jazz does release it be toon accurate while I actually prefer the realistic Porsche 935.

I love cartoon accuracy. It's like they are making the MP line just for me. Except they are charging way too much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Is a bit of a shame, because if MP Jazz does release it be toon accurate while I actually prefer the realistic Porsche 935.
    Even then it'll have plastic tyres & unpainted white plastic, so it wouldn't be worth your time holding out for one. No doubt you'll be less than impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    This,
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Same, I preferred the older style more. As much as I love them, my Grapple and Inferno in particular feel/look somewhat plain to me in their robot modes.
    And This
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I'm with Trev and Ralph.
    and this.

I really like the styling of a realistic car then giving a good representation of the onscreen silhouette, carrying over some of the detail from the original toy.
    I liked the Ironhide and Ratchet MP's, I'm not sure that could have been done much differently given how different the toys were from the show models. MP Wheeljack is probably my favourite representation of this concept. And now that it's looking like they are releasing the 'more realistic/toy representative' version as the + version down the track, since about shockwave? I'm going to wait on hound. I kind of wish I'd realised this was happening prior to buying Sunstreaker as I'd prefer the toy styled head over the animation styling.

I realise that there are many collectors who prefer the animation heavy aesthetic, and I think there is probably a sweet spot between the two what would probably make most happy. I don't think they'll ever get there as it's a simple way to re-use a mould. I just wish they hadn't swapped the 'meaning' of the + version in the last handful of masterpieces.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

So its been a while in case you never noticed.
    Of course he's noticed. His very first lines were:

Quote Originally Posted by primatives View Post
    Hey guys,

I've noticed
    It's the whole topic of the thread - the fact he has noticed

Then you have a "no paint" period and bunch of "fans" supported this move
    Can you clarify what you mean by this please? I have dozen's of MP's and not a single one of them is a block of grey. They all have paint. Which exact MP's are you referring to?

Is it you are differentiating between coloured plastics and metal with paint applied on top? Because it's essentially the same make-up; Plastic colourants are chemical compounds made up of dyes and pigments. Paints are also made up of dyes and pigments (primarily pigments). It's just that one is embedded within the material during production and the other is applied after. So coloured plastics are simply a material with the paint embedded. So yeah, curious as to which MP's you are talking about when you say 'no paint'.

And I'd respectfully suggest that anyone who is willing to shell out the money that MP's cost, be that a decade ago or now, would have to be a fan. Otherwise why would they spend that kind of money? I don't spend $90 on a Beyblade as I am not a fan. I spend that much on a Transformer because I am. Depending on what you mean by 'no paint' I think your inference may be mildly insulting to a lot of "fans". Or is it that your definition of a fan is someone that likes a TF figure that you do not? Again, clarification requested.

Personally I can't care less anymore as Takara was not consistent with the entire line.
    Then why are you taking the time to comment upon it?
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 27th June 2019 at 05:30 PM.