Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KO fortress maximus and some KO info

Default KO fortress maximus and some KO info

As I talked to a guy in a Chinese TF forum who has pretty closer with the G1 KO owner, I had the following information:

There is going to be a KO fortress maximus at some stage, targetted price would be 200 USD, so be careful/excited based on your perspective.

Many people think the reason that Takara do not reissue some of the popular toys is because KOer made frontrun. It is not true. According to what I heard, Takara owns fewer moulds than KOers. That is why they release skids over and over time. Those are what they have in hand.

Most of moulds are in KOer's hand. I don't know why.

Even we call them "KO", there is no toys been "knocked off" at all. The moulds that made these G1 KOs are original mother mould giving birth to legit toys.

Why are the moulds not in Takara's hand, I don't know. I guess there must be certain period in the past Takara didn't see the value of TFs and didn't give a sh*t at all and disposed those moulds to anyone who wants it or at least they didn't make reasonable effort to supervise to distroy them.

Takara may never have owned the moulds in the first place, the original companies that produced these toys for them may have owned the mould but not the rights to produce these items legally without Takaras approval. This way Takara most probably thought they were saving money on something that would only have a short production life and not get used in the future for a re-release, saying that they did do RID Maximus so it wasn't that long ago they still had access to the mould.

KO are produced two ways - some come from the original moulds which were abandoned in factories that used to be owned by Takara and Hasbro, and some are reversed engineered from complete toys e.g. the toy is used to make a mould, which is why some KO's have parts that don't join together correctly.

US $200 for a Fort Max... serious
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

When that guy talked about KO stunticon, I didn't pay much attention, and it finally came out. So I guess maybe fortress would come true sooner or later.

ive been hearing all year that fort max is being KO'd
    and the timeframe is around the end of the year.

are they intending to release the weapons, box, styrofoam and paperwork for only 200USD?? cos thats definitely gonna cause chaos in the community!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    are they intending to release the weapons, box, styrofoam and paperwork for only 200USD?? cos thats definitely gonna cause chaos in the community!!
    Lets see if Hasbro will "let this pass" as well
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

It kinda makes sense - if they took the cheap option and had the factories create and own the moulds, or if they disposed of them after a while (moulds are big, especially for hundreds of toy parts for thousands of different TFs over the years - Takara would need a massive warehouse to keep them all, 'just in case').

Maybe there is a black market for moulds in china, and someone who recognised them as a TFs toy moulds, was able to replicate the materials and packaging required to sell them as complete replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It kinda makes sense - if they took the cheap option and had the factories create and own the moulds, or if they disposed of them after a while (moulds are big, especially for hundreds of toy parts for thousands of different TFs over the years - Takara would need a massive warehouse to keep them all, 'just in case').

Maybe there is a black market for moulds in china, and someone who recognised them as a TFs toy moulds, was able to replicate the materials and packaging required to sell them as complete replicas.
    This brings forth a bit of a controversial but interesting conundrum:

If Takara abandoned or disposed of the molds and someone else picked them up and used them - Could we still call it theft or KOs?

It would be as if you pick up a piece of furniture on the side of the road, fixed it up and sold it. You can't be accused of stealing it since it was disposed of by the former owner for anyone to pick up and do as they please.

Now naturally, there is still the Intellectual Property factor but that would only apply to the character model art, trademark names and box art since the Toy itself was disposed of.

So if I create an accurate Fortress Maximus from the disposed molds and call it 'Fort Max' and change the box art enough so that it doesn't match the original box art - Can we still call it a KO??
    Last edited by kup; 16th June 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Well, the so-called high-quality G1 KOs I got so far (Gnaw, Cyclonus and Shockwave) have clearly been reverse engineered as tolerances aren't the same. The guy from KOtoys.com told me he could KO any toy he wanted as long he had a good and clean original version of the toy.